Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: What is mood disorder NOS?  (Read 21823 times)

Offline kjohop

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
What is mood disorder NOS?
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
What is mood disorder NOS and how is it different from GAD?
Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell. ~ Sting

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
Re: What is mood disorder NOS?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:08:40 PM »
All mood disorder NOS (not otherwise specified) means is you have some kind of mood disorder but it doesnt fit into any of the typical categories.... i got that diagnosis too; initially I was diagnosed bipolar.  I guess because of my anxiety and some other issues they could have given me a bunch of different diagnoses (and have lol) but my last dr preferred to lump it all together under mood disorder NOS.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:12:58 PM »
What is the difference? I mean.. with GAD don't you get mood swings? Secondary depression is normal with GAD.. so is it just another way of saying I have anxiety and minor depression or is this treated differently? I am just scared of what the term "mood disorder" indicated to me.
Like what were your "other issues" if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks!!
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell. ~ Sting

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
The way my dr explained it to me was, we're all on a spectrum, our diagnoses are just a way to explain our collections of symptoms; that was her philosophy anyway.  She thought labeling me w/ bipolar disorder was too specific for my collection of symptoms.  I'd guess if your mood issues are your primary problem and they happen to be accompanied by anxiety, your going to get stuck w/ mood disorder NOS but if you have general anxiety and your depression or mood swings are more a result of living w/ anxiety they'll stick you w/ a GAD diagnosis, since the depression is secondary, like you said.  Most of my issues were anxiety driven but I definitely have bipolar stuff going on.  My dr felt like my hypomania was showing up as anxiety and anger but mostly anxiety (wish i'd gotten the euphoric mania but that was never my problem lol).  With mania a mood disorder diagnosis is pretty much a given.  I've really never been diagnosed w/ GAD, that I know of.  And no I dont mind you asking at all, I had body dysmorphic disorder w/ exercise bulimia which is an anxiety driven disorder (dont know if its technically an anxiety disorder).  And I was diagnoised w/ PTSD.  But I've had anxiety ever since I was in grade school.

EDIT:  hey I just read your post in the other folder and I just wanted to say, DONT WORRY about this diagnosis, if you were diagnosed w/ a mood disorder, it really doesnt have to be a big deal, doesnt have to mean you're bipolar, there are some pretty mild forms like cyclothemia, and personally I'd rather get one diagnosis of mood disorder NOS than tell someone i've got bipolar, ptsd, an eating disorder, etc, etc, etc, etc! lol That sounds a lot worse doesnt it?  Your symptoms are the same as they were before the diagnosis, being labeled w/ mood disorder doesnt make you any Crazier.   :P  So try not to let it freak you out. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
Sorry to keep bugging you about it.. but I have anger and anxiety.. I am angry that I have anxiety.. why would yours be bipolar in nature.. were you drastically swinging from one to the other?
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »
Yes, I was drastically swinging but the anxiety was pretty constant for me.... its possible your dr thinks the anger is a mania thing w/ you?  That was the case w/ me.  I had other symptoms of mania tho.  It sounds like you dont agree w/ your dr; remember that's just his or her opinion, maybe there was some miscommunication somewhere? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
I don't know if the moods are drastic.. I mean last week I was doing fairly well.. this week (pms) I have had increased anxiety.. dread.. but moments like now.. I feel hyper.. have racing thoughts but I think it started with me googling mood disorder nos.. like I can't relax.. but I think it is because I am freaking out about the mere mention of mood disorder..I am googling and reassurance seeking and I am literally sweating at this point.. panic probobly? I think she mentioned that because I have periods where my anxiety is lower and dealable and I can do my CBT exercises etc.. then I have a week like this week where the dread is so intense and pummels me.. again... pms? But now I have worked myself up and am freaking out.
I mean I def.. had days where I would feel dread in the morning ok at lunch and then panicky in the afternoon then at night I can finally relax and go to bed..
I guess I am freaking out b/c I have been resisting meds for so long and I finally agreed to see a psychiatrist b/c this is going on 7 months.. but I just thought ok well.. maybe I will have to try an ssri.. I was becoming ok with it.. but now if it is some sort of mood disorder then will I have to be on all different meds.. I am so scared of them to begin with! 
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
I resisted meds for the longest time too.... finally after a lot of therapy I gave in and then I wished I'd tried them years ago.... it made a huge difference for me.  HUGE.  I had to give my medication up unfortunately bcz of side effects and I've been having a rough time again lately.  :(  But I'm still trying!  Good luck, take it slow and I hope you find something that works for you soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
See.... side effects.. that is what I am afraid of!!! So they worked but you still had to give them up.. does't seem fair. What were the s/e?
So would you try another med then?
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »
They worked great, and i didnt realize the problems i was having were side effects so it was really devestating when i finally put two and two together.... I took Lamictal.  Don't let this scare you away because I know several other ppl who take Lamictal with NO side effects whatsoever.  But I had awful pain in my neck and upper back.  I was obsessive in the gym before I started Lamictal, my joints were a mess so I always thought the neck and back pain was due to some shoulder injuries that I had.  It wasnt until I stopped and started Lamictal, raised the dose... the pain got so bad I finally made the connection.  I had a lot of general body aches too.  All that went away when I stopped the Lamictal.  I've started again at a low dose tho, 100mg a day and so far I havent had any pain.  I've tried a cpl other meds w/out much luck, I'm just starting the Lamictal again hoping for another miracle.  But if it doesnt work for me at a low enough dose to keep the s/e at bay I guess I'll keep trying other meds.  I really dont do well w/out meds, and the problem is, I dont realize it until its too late. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline kjohop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
Sorry to hear that.. Hope it works for you this time!
I know that everyone responds differenty to meds.. and I will never be able to get a guarantee that I won't have reactions or that they won't help.. that is just my fear...this is just so scary to me.
Sorry I sucked you into my panic attack! Thanks so much for your replies.
Every time I see your posts  I want a Chunky bar! I haven't had one in years!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
~ Nancy

Offline Chunky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
lol! You should go and treat yourself to a chunky bar.... they are awesome!

I think its scary for everyone.... for me though it was almost a relief to get that diagnosis.  It meant I was one step closer to getting better bcz I had something known, that could be treated.  My dr never pressured me to take medication, I went that route bcz I felt like I'd exhausted all the other options.  Anyway dont worry, you didnt suck me into your panic attack!  I hope I was able to help instead of making it worse.  lol  Just remember if you do take the med route, you can take it slow, you'll be able to see the effects or any potential reactions slowly and stop the meds if you dont think they're going to work for you.  And just because you try them once doesnt mean you have to take them forever.  Good luck, and keep us posted, I'll be interested to see what your dr recommends; I know there are some other ppl here w/ mood disorders so maybe they'll chime in too. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: