Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: involuntary flexing/tightening/tension of muscles  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Bandini

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
involuntary flexing/tightening/tension of muscles
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
does anyone else get this?

I've noticed that even when I sit or lay down, my leg muscles are flexed and have a lot of tension in them.  And it actually takes me to think about relaxing them for them to relax.  I have to physically relax them rather than them just being naturally relaxed.  I get this in my stomach sometimes as well.  So if anyone else experiences this and knows something on how to lessen this feeling let me know please.  Thank you.
Bookmark and Share
I was walking down the road, and a man was hammering on a roof top.  And, he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Offline esthergreenwood

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: involuntary flexing/tightening/tension of muscles
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »
I get this in my shoulders- if I don;t watch it, they are sometimes up by my ears I am so tense! Being conscious of it helps. Like for me, it used to be that whenever I wrote an emaila t work, I'd check my shoulders, and if they were tense, I'd relax them. This helped them start being relaxed more of the time.

Also, Progressive Muscle Relaxation helps. Tense those muscles consciously for 10 seconds, then release them and relax them for 20 seconds.

Also, deep, abdominal breathing. Imagine relaxing everything as you exhale. Do ths for a few monutes every day.

All of this will help train your muscles to be more relaxed and to let go of the tension you are feeling.

Good luck!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mplus

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
I've found that stretching really helps me out. I have one of those resistance cords that you find at gyms. I typically use it to stretch my hamstrings and legs before running. But, now I use it for a bunch of muscle groups and it's helping getting rid of the tenion -- especially in my legs, hamstrings, quads, back and shoulders.

m.
Bookmark and Share

Offline panicky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
I get this also, I used to get it in my stomach from anxiety when I was younger, I would hold my stomach in all the time and not even know I was doing it.  My Dad did the same thing from anxiety.  Now, most of my tension goes to my neck.  I don't even realize that either until my head starts to hurt from it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lisad27

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »
I have the same thing so you're definitely not alone. Half the time, I don't even realize that my neck/shoulder area is really, really tense and I unconsciously clench that area when  under stress, like right now.  I try to check it throughout the day and make a point to relax/stretch out the muscles there, but sometimes I don't and I end up getting really bad neck/tension headaches.  I think a lot of it also has to do with clenching my jaw muscles at night too.  Boy, this HA really likes to screw around with our bodies, that's for sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline panicky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:57:04 PM »
Hey Lisad, that's funny because I also clench my jaw at night, well, I grind my teeth.  I've actually had my husband wake me up because he heard it!!! Which is odd, because he has sleep apnea and nothing wakes him up!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lisad27

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08:17 PM »
Hey Lisad, that's funny because I also clench my jaw at night, well, I grind my teeth.  I've actually had my husband wake me up because he heard it!!! Which is odd, because he has sleep apnea and nothing wakes him up!!!

I'm not sure whether I grind my teeth but I know my jaw is sore sometimes; my husband says he doesn't hear anything but I can definitely feel something when I wake up in the morning, especially if I've been sleeping on my stomach.  It just started within the last 2 months too; yuck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline panicky

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:54:11 PM »
I didn't know at first either, but I have woken up a couple times and actually caught myself doing it!!! Also, I can actually feel with my tongue that one side of my teeth (tops and bottoms) are worn down!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: