Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Weird Twitching or Jerking  (Read 8529 times)

Offline gypsywrter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Weird Twitching or Jerking
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:08 AM »
Hello everyone. My HA levels have been sky-high lately. :( For the past few days I have noticed some weird body twitches or jerks that I haven't experienced before. The twitches always follow a body movement. Like, if I turn my head to the side, it sometimes feels like it jerks a little after the movement. I don't know how else to explain - I know it must sound odd (or like the symptoms of some horrible disease that I don't know about). Sometimes if I move my arm, hand, leg or foot, it will do the same thing - a jerk or twitch will follow the movement. Does this make sense to anyone? I don't want to freak about it since it just started, but I can feel the brain tumor fear starting to kick in. :( Could this be happening because my muscles are tense? I have been experiencing that overwhelming feeling of dread lately - just always thinking I am going to die or pass out. Thanks in advance for the help!
Bookmark and Share

Online lasalle

• Master of Medicines
  • Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weird Twitching or Jerking
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:01:05 AM »
I don't know if this is relevant for you, but some of my medications cause involuntary movements. I have noticed my head seems to bob uncontrollable (not really noticeable to the casual observer). My hands shake and my legs sometimes jerk. I chalk it all up to my meds and don't really worry too much about it. But do you think it could be meds (if you take any)?
Bookmark and Share
I good morning is one where you dont wake up wet! Stay dry!

Offline emma09

• Rec's: 4
  • What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (:
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:38:46 AM »
youve just said your anxity has been sky high? this can cause body jerks and twitches, when im stressed my left hand side of my lip goes numb and tingly my lip twitches so does my eye, stress can cause alot of physical symptoms on the body
Bookmark and Share
fill your head with niceness and leave the rest :)

Offline HitchHiker2

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
Hey, gypsywrter!
I have been experiencing the very same symptoms for a while now and i do understand how troubling they can be. It might hence be a bit hypocritical of me to say this, but don't worry about the twitches as they do not at all indicate any dreadful disease, in your case atleast. You have mentioned yourself that your HA has been on the rise and both twitching and jerking are symptoms if anxiety, which itself is a very real problem.

Bookmark and Share

Offline gypsywrter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »
Thank you! No, I don't take any medications. I'm very upset because the feeling is back again today. :( It went away before bed last night, and I felt good for about 1/2 hour after waking up. The scary part is that I wasn't even thinking of this and all of a sudden I felt it. So it wasn't like I brought it on through my thoughts, you know? It's not so much jerking today as a feeling of internal shaking. I feel almost like I am shivering inside - I don't think anyone could see it. It feels like I am trembling. I'm going to TRY to get involved in something to get my mind off of it, but not sure if it will work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jojo1976

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
I came aboard this site looking for the same thing... I had really bad HA in 2006 with all the normal symptoms (chest pain, can't breathe, heavy arms/legs, spaciness, dizzy, etc), but I just had a m/c followed by an immediate pregnancy and I believe the crazy ups and downs of hormones has triggered my anxiety after it was 4yrs dormant.   

I have been under a TREMENDOUS amount of stress the past few months from losing a pregnancy, to getting pregnant, to raising my other 4 children, running a business, marital and money problems - etc.  I could feel myself started to lose it... then, when I was just sitting there online I realized - wow, my legs and arms would just jerk for no reason. I didn't pay much attention before because I thought it was my coffee, but the panic set in when I realized that I hadnt HAD any coffee in several days due to my new pregnancy.  The twitching and jerks then got worse, much more apparent, and turned into jerking while trying to fall asleep.

For two weeks now, things got worse and the anxiety following obsession followed. I have been worried about a neurological problem for weeks now, and that made things worse. I've finally got a grip on things and have been able to make progress in that it's just anxiety and it's subsiding. If I'm moving around, I don't really feel it at all, but when I'm sitting or trying to sleep, of course its there in my face. Getting better by the day, but still, freaky.  I'm with you on this one!!  So reassuring I'm not the only one, so thanks for helping! :)

I get them in my legs, shoulders/arms, hands, sometimes stomach, and my head will go off to the left.   Anxiety, I know it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 195
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
I twitch and jerk often.  If I'm really anxious, it is bad.  Even when I'm not anxious I'll twitch.  Muscles twitch with everybody--anxiety or not.

Anxiety doesn't have an on/off switch.  While we don't conciously feel anxious, our bodies and minds can still react.

Last year I started having the lovely leg buzzing and my right quad was bouncing around like mad.  All of this was happening before I became aware that I was anxious---Often the body starts reacting to the subconscious anxiety before we even realize we are anxious.  AND after a while of living anxiously like this, we don't even have to feel anxious, think about anxiety, or even have something trigger it anymore.  Our bodies are stuck in a reactive mode.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline learning to cope

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
Your story could very well be mine. I began to twitch and jerk around last summer after having a terrible panic attack. It came out of nowhere. I was terrified by the twitching but I keep assuming it had to be my anxiety. I was able to pinpoint when it happened and what it was associated with. I eventually went on to have a few CT Scans, MRI's, EKG's, blood work, etc. before I finally realized the sudden twitching and jerking was associated with my anxiety. I still do this till this day. Some days are worse than others, sometimes I don't do it at all for a small period of time. I know it can be scary especially if it comes out of nowhere but if it gives you peace of mind to go and get it checked out by your doctor, I say go ahead.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jojo1976

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
Sorry to have hijacked your post, but this is all very helpful. I'm still jerking, but the past couple of days have been much better. I don't feel like I'm full of electricity when I sit down or lay down and I only get the occasional ones now and again.  I took the week off work (I am self-employed) just to deal with the anxiety caused by the jerking and I got much better as I spent the time to just not stress as much as possible. Today was my first day back at work and trying to juggle it today brought it back... still not bad, but apparent. I started getting the visual twitches too (my stomach was bouncing all over the place, LOL, that's new! and my wrist). I realize that this is obviously my poor nervous system on overload. I am taking it easy today.  Funny, I'm laying down with my 4yr old daughter for some down time this afternoon and wouldn't you know it - she's all twitchy and jerky too as she's falling asleep. Looks like it's totally normal in "regular" people too- just sets off the nerves in we poor HA sufferers to the max.   I'm doing ok. Can't wait til my body heals but I know it's going to need some time. Thanks everyone for your posts!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jojo1976

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »
Just wanted to update this for the next person who wanders in with jerking muscles...

It's been a few weeks since my issue started and I am happy to report that I'm almost back to 1 with my anxiety level (100=worst, 0=none) and with it the legs/arms/head jerking started to improve daily as my nerves calmed down.  They are still jumping occasionally, but very occasionally and it is much lighter.  Things started to improve when my mind left the high anxious state and my body had a few days to try to heal.  Things are going great! I also had sleep onset jerking that was concerning me and that also has improved a lot.  I have been sleeping better and in turn the anxiety is better and the jerking is almost resolved.

Another case of crazy anxiety throwing my body out of whack. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and help over the past few weeks. Good to be back on earth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gypsywrter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 06:02:23 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies! I just wanted to give an update and let everyone know that I'm not twitching or jerking anymore (knock on wood!). I was going through a very high-anxiety period when I wrote this post so it must have been due to that. I hope this helps ease some fears. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline jojo1976

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
You and me both... well, I've almost stopped anyway. How long would you say you had it before it went away?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amanda888

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
I know this topic is really, really old, but as I was searching my symptoms "muscle jerks while sleeping" this thread popped up. Reading it helped me a bunch and it seems like the sleep onset muscle jerks are pretty commons with anxiety. Ive had mine for almost 2 months now and some nights its good and some nights its bad. I thought I was getting better then I started having them a little in the early morning upon waking and trying to fall back asleep. This is probably because I kept reassuring myself that since I was sleeping fine in the morning it wasn't a neuro issue. Worrying about a symptom you don't have seems like a sure fire way to bring it on. Anyway, reading this gave me hope that once I calm the eff down :laugh3: it will subside.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rysus23

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 02:30:35 PM »
Wow, I have the exact same symptoms as the OP, but mine have been going on for a little over 2 months and its extremely frustrating. I have other neuro issues during this time including an EMG showing swelling in the nerves in my arms causing spasticity, slight weakness, pain and loss of motor function. But, the way the OP described the symptoms is exactly how mine are occurring. Very interesting.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: