Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: In a constant state of anxiety and always on edge...  (Read 11944 times)

Offline mumble

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
In a constant state of anxiety and always on edge...
« on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »
I've suffered with anxiety for a few years. Recently a lot of things in my life have changed, including moving soon, a break up, university, etc. It has recently got worse. To the point where I'm constantly on edge, and the slightest thing tips me over. I've also noticed they've progressed and at the drop of a hat, I will have a dry mouth, very tense throat and trembling all over - I never used to have these very much.
Earlier for example my friend got sick from some off food(I have emetophobia), and I completely freaked, I couldn't help it - throat, trembling, dry, breathing, the whole shebang. Even though I knew I couldn't get ill from that... it's like I can't think logically anymore.

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: In a constant state of anxiety and always on edge...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:42:51 AM »
I'm sorry you are feeling badly.  If it is any consolation, what you are describing is pretty typical of what anxiety can do.  But you won't always feel like this.  There are things you can do to feel better.

These are my suggestions to help you get your life back on track:

1. Therapy---meds if you and your doctor feel it is appropriate---everybody is different on this issue.
2. self-help books--lots of good stuff out there these days ---Claire Weekes has good books out there that explain how it all works.  I read The Roadless Traveled by M. Scott Peck many years ago.  He speaks to people in a variety of ways.  He has a few other books too.   
3.  Exercise---even if you don't want to.  At first you are likely to feel miserable and panicky feelings are likely to bubble up OR rush at you.  It is BEASTY (your anxious overthinking) causing this.  But do it anyway.
4.  Eat a healthy diet.  This helps on all kinds areas of your life.
5.  Forums often have helpful advice.
6.  Hobbies--anything that completely immerses you in it and keeps you occupied.  This helps because eventually you'll get snippets of time when you feel good.  These are teaching moments cuz then you know it is obsessions/anxiety mucking with you.  After a while those snippets turn to hours then days etc.
7.  Don't pity yourself.  You can have a happy life.   As we experience life, we change.  Having any form of anxiety will impact your life just like all life experiences do.  But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Even once you are on the road to recovery, you will have a 'new' normal but that doesn't mean you aren't happy and fulfilled. 

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
Yeah, try and see if sixpack's suggestions work.

Your in a classic phase of your life with these issues that can really cause extreme stress.
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Offline mumble

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I am being referred for CBT on the NHS and looking into getting some kind of meds...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gem

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:18:43 AM »
Yeah i always feel like my anxiety is constantly waiting in the shadows so to speak, so that when anything happens, no matter how tiny i just freak out completely, heart pounding sick feeling trembling.
I am never calm, i wonder what it feels like
Bookmark and Share

Offline Midnight Mouse

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:19 AM »
Dear mumble, please hang in there. I think in a situation like yours, meds may be the key. I know it is for me. I just have a pre-disposition to things bothering me and causing anxiety and derpression -- like movies, tv, horror movie, etcetera. I'm too sensitive. Other family members turn to alchol. Try to simplify and take things slowly. Have you struggled with this all your life?

Gem, I'm sorry you are sufferring as well.

Sixpack's list is really good.

I'm sufferring through a huge amount of anxiety and depression right now myself, so I know what you are going through. Don't give up. Hang in there.

MM
Bookmark and Share

Offline mumble

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »
Midnight Mouse - thank you for the reply =)
I always know these things just take time... it's just that time is so difficult. I am looking into meds perhaps, to at least temporarily help.
Have always struggled with this, it's just got worse in recent years.

I hope you're doing okay yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: