Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Does your anxiety affect your menstrual cycle?  (Read 5229 times)

Offline wowthisismetoaT

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Does your anxiety affect your menstrual cycle?
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:45:08 PM »
After 28 years of absolutely normal cycles, I took Yaz back 2 years ago and started having abnormal vaginal bleeding.  It lasted a year and a half.  (I stopped the Yaz after just 12 days of taking it and I threw my cycle off).  So I had an ultrasound, a hystosonogram, and finally a uterine biopsy.  All were normal/fine.  I had blood tests to check thyroid and hormones, all fine.  I have had pap smears regularly for at least 10 years.  I had one abnormal one after my 10 year old son was born, but never had another one.  All tests for HPV have been negative as well, so it is thought that my one abnormal pap could have been a fluke.  At any rate, I had cryo on the spot immediately.

Anyway, I was starting to regulate after the Yaz fiasco and then had to go on Lexapro.  I am pretty sure Lexapro continued to make the bleeding weird for me.  It was never exactly "normal" on Lexapro.  I stopped Lexapro in July and every period since then has been normal.  EXCEPT this one.  I am having the freakiest cycle this month.  SURELY this has to do with my anxiety level being so high.  I spotted for two days before starting.  My doc returned a call to me on day 3 of the spotting and when I hung up with him, I immediately started flowing normally.  Then, on Friday, I was bleeding still and I got a call from my GP about meds.  I mentioned the period/stool/blood thing to him and he reassured me which made me feel relief and it wasn't 5 minutes later, I had flooding with my cycle.  My bleeding ended on day 8, but this month, I have continued to spot (just when wiping) along with discharge.  Well, tonight it snowed - 7 inches in 3 hours and my dh was at work an hour away.  When he finally made it home, after a 3 hour trip in the snow and me scared to death he wouldn't make it home, I went to the bathroom and voila...more red blood.  It was just a spotting, but it was definitely red.

This is definitely a doctor/trust issue.  The doc treating me now knows my history, but he was not the one who did the ultrasounds nor the one who did the biopsy and blood tests.  The doctor who did the biopsy and blood tests told me that if it continued, I could come back and we could talk further about what to do.  I assume he meant that if it was bothering me still even after the tests, I could come back and we could talk about other alternatives.  He said that "abnormal bleeding" was the top complaint of women in his practice and that sometimes, there just isn't a good, clear reason for it.

My dh keeps pointing out that it is obviously connected to my anxiety.  I know it is, in some way, but it didn't start due to anxiety and I have trouble convincing myself this is all it is.  I guess the point of this whole post is to see if anyone else has crazy cycles that has been attributed to anxiety.  After all the testing has been done, where do you go?  I mean, the doc said I could have a hysterectomy or start BCPs, but I dont' want to.  He told me that basically, "I am a woman."  BLAH.

Anyone have words of encouragement?  I really don't need this on top of the already over the top colon cancer blood in stool during period H1N1 bladder cancer fears.
Bookmark and Share
"Life isn't measured by the breaths you take but by the moments in life that take your breath away"

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does your anxiety affect your menstrual cycle?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
I know you mentioned you took Prozac, only one dose? I do know Prozac can mess with your cycles. Anxiety can DEF mess with them. I skipped a period for the first time back in September and I FREAKED OUT.(Ask Sixpack). Since then, my periods really have not been the "same". They used to come every 25 days, now they are every 21 days, and I get bad cramps. And they last about 7-8 daus now too. (I am 42) But I came off all my meds in October, so my body I am sure is not used to being med free.

Now that I am on Effexor, I am wondering if my periods will be less painful. They were great before. . No cramps and light bleeding.
I have only been of FXR for 3 days, so the real test will be next month.

I wouldnt worry, our stress can do some weird thing with out cycles.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PixyJen

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »
Wow your periods sound just like mine. In fact I am having a ultrasound on Monday because of the spotting (although my period was back to normal this month for the 1st time in 4 months). I do believe its related to anxiety and my husband has also pointed this out to me every time I spot and get upset about the spotting. I don't know how old you are but I have noticed that periods have really been changing over the past year (I am 36).
Bookmark and Share

Offline wowthisismetoaT

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
Mine started changing after that one little 12 day experience with Yaz and they have not really been the same since.  All the medical tests, you would think I would trust that it is just part of life.  :(  I am 30.  It has been so hard for me to accept that cycles just change and there is no real reason for it sometimes.  I know my hormones are crazy, but I can't take BCPs to regulate, so I just live with it, unfortunately.  :(
Bookmark and Share
"Life isn't measured by the breaths you take but by the moments in life that take your breath away"

Tags: