Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Swollen toes/feet after drinking alcohol???!!!  (Read 78159 times)

Offline AYKM

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Swollen toes/feet after drinking alcohol???!!!
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »
I have noticed over the last few years, when I drink alcohol, especially wine, my feet or toes will swell and get kind of red. Sometimes when I eat any amount of salt, my fingers will also swell. I am scared that this has something to do with the fluctuations and rising of my blood pressure. Does this happen to anyone else? I am keeping myself on a VERY low sodium diet, and sometimes I can eat alot a salt with no reaction while other times just a little and I get puffy! My understanding is that fluid retention causes high blood pressure, not that high blood pressure causes fluid retention, so what would cause the retention?

Does this happen to anyone else when they drink? The next morning my feet looked normal. Also, I woke up in the middle of the  night and my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. My pulse was only 76 (I usually run about 64-80) so it was fine, but I did drink quite a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline idreamofskiba

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swollen toes/feet after drinking alcohol???!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:50:24 AM »
We had our company Christmas party today and I only had three drinks.  I could feel my heart pounding against my chest and it was very uncomfortable.  My HR got up to 130 at one point.  This happened the last time I drank as well -- that time it got up to 140 (highest it's ever been for me, that I know of).   I know it happens to people after they drink, but I've never heard of it happening to people while they're drinking.  I've never had this problem before, but I did get the waking up in the middle of the night with the heart pounding like you described.

Anyway, I do remember telling a coworker during the party that my feet felt really swollen.  I assumed it was from the alcohol, but don't know for sure.

Some people are more sensitive to salt than others.  I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do know it can cause one to retain water.  Sometimes after I eat a very salty meal, my rings start to feel too tight because my hands swell up.  Not drinking enough water can also cause fluid retention. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AYKM

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
idreamofskiba,

Thank you for your reply. Are we the same age? I turned 35, last April and it seems that everyone wants to make it about my age. I have had the fast heart rate during drinking as well as after too. The swelling I am trying to pinpoint. It very well could be lack of water, as I do drink very little, but the confusing part is that dehydration results in low BP, and mine is raising. I have heard, however, that drinking water helps your boday get rid of water, like a natural diuretic, so that should help with the BP.

My concern is that my body cannot expell alcohol and salt like it should. I know my Dr. recently checked my kidney and liver functions, so they are ok. I am still thinking it may be hormonal. That is all I have left to go on. ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Happy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 05:30:44 PM »
Drinking causes dehydration; therefore, the body does everything it can to rehydrate itself....including holding on to any amount of liquid it can get it's hands on!  I would try drinking at least 12 oz. of water between every drink.  That should decrease the swelling:-)  Also....salt naturally causes the body to retain fluid....that's why docs recommend high salt intake when you're dehydrated.  My body tolerates salt alright but MSG makes me crazy!  I get LOTS of fluid retention when I eat Chinese food.

I hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline idreamofskiba

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
AYKM,

I'll be turning 30 in May, so I'm very close to your age.  Maybe it is age related, as I never had this much of a problem with it before.  Or it could very well be hormonal.  Happy's reply seems pretty on target, though.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: