Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft (Sertaline) and Klonopin  (Read 8890 times)

Offline Fortner07

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft (Sertaline) and Klonopin
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:25:27 PM »
My doctor just put me on thses medications. Im somewhat scared about this because I have a fear of medicine and what health concerns they could bring. I have read about them and they are quit safe but still makes me worry. Has anyone used these drugs before? Im intrested to hear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joegilbert

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft (Sertaline) and Klonopin
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:06:11 PM »

HI-

These drugs are both really effective for many people. My advice on the Zoloft is to watch what size dose you start at. I started at too high a dose and it sent my anxiety thru the roof. I never could tolerate the drug, it just wasn't for me. My uncle is on Zoloft and he loves it.

Kolonipin is a Benzo that you should use to help you 'get on' the Zoloft. Many of these anti-depressants initially raise your symptoms so the Kolonipin is used for the short term till the AD's take effect. Be careful with Kolonipin. It's addictive if used long term. Most people only use them for the first month, then discontinue them because the AD covers them.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline WiSp

• Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Anxiety warrior since my birth.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:24:28 AM »
I've been on zoloft for years, not in a row but one year in a row minimum. I started with the minimum, 25mg if I remember correctly. I felt weird for the first week, nauseous just a bit, digestive issues for the first 2-3 days. Tiredness, a bit of dizziness, a little headache...everything most disappeared after a week. Some stuff was still there: little tremors sometimes, slow vision focus, little dizziness sometimes (I think I was not drinking enough and it was not helping), sweating more easily. Nothing scary, really. It worked good for anxiety. Zoloft was a nice help. I've been up  to 150 and even 200 for a short time. I spent most of the time at 150. Zoloft comes in powder so it's a mess when you want to split it if you really need to do it. It's also a bit rough for the stomach, but no problem if you take it with food. I got insomnia with it until I take it before to sleep. Insomnia disappeared then. With time I really forgot any little nuisances that zoloft can bring. It was just good to be able to live again. Ah yes I should say that alcohol with zoloft was not a problem, but I never drink a lot in one shot anyway.

For klonopin, I've never tried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline waterbill

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »
I am on those exact meds......started with low dose of klonopin (I took clonazepam, the generic, dissolves on the tongue) after I felt a little calmer, started 25 mg. of zoloft, went up to 50 in a week or so. had a few side effects at the start, mostly some nausea, didn't last much longer than a week. I am now weaning down on my clonazepam to .125 and doing ok with that. Hopefully will be completely off in a few weeks. I've done the exact same process before and you can get off benzos if you do it slowly.
Try not to worry and just go for it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline johnathonm

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
Zoloft should be started in a gradually incremented dose, that is, start at 25 mg for a week or two, move to 50 mg for a week or two, then 100 etc.  It helps ease you into the medication. This is also how it should be taken to get off the medication.  Further, beyond that, the klonopin should probably be taken as needed to minimize the possibly of side effects.  However, it is all up to you. These medications are generally safe and well tolerated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline esthergreenwood

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
I have taken zoloft in the past- it wasnt right for me though so I take Celexa and klonopin, and I find they work really well. I too am scared to take meds, but life without them wasn;t working out so well, so I finally got myself to take them.

If you're scared, take them inf ront of your doctor the first time. that is what I did, and I was with her for the rest of our appointment and I saw that nothing scary happened and I was ok.

Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
Hello, I started out with 12.5mg of zoloft, and .25mg klonopin, and I took them together around 9pm every night, after a couple of weeks, went up to 25mg zoloft, .50mg klonopin, then after a couple more weeks went to 37.5mg zoloft, stayed at .50mg klonopin.  This is what I now take, I originally started out with Remeron 7.5mg but weight gain, then anxiety kicked in when I got up to 15mg, I still sometimes take a small dose of Remeron to sleep better.  I havent felt the need to go up to 50mg on the zoloft.  I sometimes take .75mg klonopin at night, and I will take .25 klonopin before a flight.  I find that zoloft and klonopin work great for depression/gad, I dont dwell on things and am more outgoing.  I highly recommend the combo!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline joegilbert

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »
Hello, I started out with 12.5mg of zoloft, and .25mg klonopin, and I took them together around 9pm every night, after a couple of weeks, went up to 25mg zoloft, .50mg klonopin, then after a couple more weeks went to 37.5mg zoloft, stayed at .50mg klonopin.  This is what I now take, I originally started out with Remeron 7.5mg but weight gain, then anxiety kicked in when I got up to 15mg, I still sometimes take a small dose of Remeron to sleep better.  I havent felt the need to go up to 50mg on the zoloft.  I sometimes take .75mg klonopin at night, and I will take .25 klonopin before a flight.  I find that zoloft and klonopin work great for depression/gad, I dont dwell on things and am more outgoing.  I highly recommend the combo!

Just be careful with your daily usage of the Klonopin. It doesn't take long to get addicted to it and Benzo withdrawals are horrible. Ask me how I know. You might google Benzo withdrawal to insure your fully educated about the benzo's so you don't have problem down the road.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: