Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Wheezing after the Flu??  (Read 6035 times)

Offline laura124

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
Wheezing after the Flu??
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
About 3-4 weeks ago I caught from my 14 year old son what I think was H1N1--he wasn't officially tested but the symptoms for both of us were indicative of H1N1.  So, my son has asthma and had to have nebulizer treatments and was definitely having a hard time breathing.  For me, I was having the worse cough and my stomach felt a little weird, also.  During the cough (very productive, I must say) I noticed that when I inhaled I heard a "growly" sound on the left bottom portion of my breast bone. It's really weird because its low enough to almost be mistaken for stomach, but I don't think it is--more like diaphragm.  I figured it was from all the phlegm settling in my chest from the flu. I don't believe it's wheezing because my son has a high pitched "whistling" sound during exhalation when he's wheezing.  It eventually went away but yesterday it came back.  I don't have shortness of breath at all and even ran 3.5 miles last week without feeling winded or coughing.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before?  I'm trying to ask members of my family but there all laughing at me and telling me to stop being such a hypochondriac.  I was just asking, that's all.  Should I try mucinex or something?
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wheezing after the Flu??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Sometimes it can take a little while for all the mucus to clear out. I just had H1N1 too and the whole time I was having a very unproductive cough; now,  however, I am still coughing and it is more "productive." My lungs are also extremely sensitive to the cold air and going outside is enough to induce a massive coughing fit. :laugh3:

Anyways, my point is that it can take quite a few weeks for our bodies to get back to normal after the flu. This could also be something unrelated, as well, like a mild cold or something. The fact that you could run 3.5 miles without feeling winded is pretty impressive (hell, I don't think I could do that when I was feeling 100% at this point!) so in all honesty I don't think you have much to worry about there. :winking0008: Most worrying stuff, as far as lungs go, is almost always accompanied by shortness of breath. The cold air is often enough to irritate most people's lungs, too.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline forestbythesealady

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
I had a flu in August and this exact thing happened to me. It would be an occasional gurgle/rumble when I breathed. It didn't happen all the time.  There could just be some residual crud left in your lungs that is working its way out. The fact that you are healthy enough to run is a good indicator that you are okay. On my best day I couldn't even run a mile!  :snowman:
Bookmark and Share

Offline laura124

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
Thank you so much you guys for replying...I feel much better now.  As the day went on and I started to move around more (cleaning and cooking, etc.) It dissipated...so I do think it's some residual crud that needs to work its way out.  It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only in the world that has experienced this, you know?

Oh, and for some reason I have HA episodes on either Sat. or Sun. mornings when I'm feeling extra stressed and well, I'm wrapping up three graduate classes, my son is having an awful time in school and I've been helping him with homework, and I'm preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 18 on Thursday....need I say any more??  ;*)

Thanks again and have a great holiday!
Bookmark and Share

Offline forestbythesealady

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
I hear that. Stress can be cruel to our minds and bodies!  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: