Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tingles and Hot Flashes/Cold Flashes  (Read 9665 times)

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Tingles and Hot Flashes/Cold Flashes
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
Started taking beta blocker 18 months ago and had very weird tingling/goosebump feeling on my arms and legs from it. Also on my scalp. It would subside but come back. Sometimes gone for a week or two then come back. I'm on 100 mgs twice a day. I have been having hot flashes before my period and sometimes randomly in the month. Yesterday felt really weird with creepy feeling in my skin all over my legs and back and arms. Went to the doc and he said could be hypoglycemia (i do skip meals and tremble sometimes), or perimenopause (though my mom went through menopause in her 50's and I'm only 36), or hormone levels. He looked up my beta blocker, Labetalol and it said that one side effect was tingling in the skin.

It's not a pins and needles tingle, it's more like goosebumps and just feels weird and runs through my skin like creepy crawlies. It never used to be in my neck or back before and now I have a cold sensation in my spine.

I will feel kind of sick/doom sensation sometimes, too. I think that might be the fear, though. I get so scared.

So yeah, I'm super scared and thinking it's some kind of cancer. I had my gut CT scanned 4 months ago and they said I was okay. I do have IBS which causes weird stools sometimes and weird bowel habits. Saw my gastro who said it is the IBS and stress and he really didn't give advice on the tingling weirdness.

I'm nursing my daughter which makes hormone testing impossible. Plus I have to wean her to get off the labetalol so I can take a drug that's not a beta blocker.

I go from hot to cold and creepy tingles/goosebumps/shiver-chill-thrill sensations a lot now. The past two days I didn't have any weirdness at all, then it came back worse than ever.

Doc said I should have my blood sugar checked and my hormone levels, and to get off the beta blocker.

I also get weak feeling and trembling but yesterday I felt all heavy and fatigues and trembles and I drank an Ensure and a half hour later felt like maybe 85% better.

I don't sleep well and have as everyone else here, insane levels of anxiety and tension. I also started a new job this past week, plus had terrible trouble with a family member treating me badly and I've been angry and tense.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas on this. The tingle feeling has been on and off for about 18 months now. The hot flashes started back in December or so when my period returned after I had my baby. CT scan in July was normal and only showed ovarian cysts which I knew about already. I also had an MRI w/o contrast back around June or July of 2008 and saw my neurologist a couple of weeks back and he did some regular office tests and found nothing wrong.

I have no health insurance so that's something else to stress about...

Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline carolinagirl2398

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tingles and Hot Flashes/Cold Flashes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »
Wow, this is so interesting b/c you sound alot like me!  I've been on Atenolol (another beta blocker) for several years now, but a couple of months ago, I got pregnant so my OB switched me to Labetolol.  I had already had some tingles and cold chills that I was attributing to my anxiety, but as soon as I started the Labetolol, it got a million times worse.  The scalp tingles were the worst.  I felt like anytime I touched my hair, my scalp would tingle.  The cold "chills" kind of tingles too were in my back (down my spine), tops of my arms and tops of my legs.  I ended up having a miscarriage, which obviously did a number on my anxiety, so I just attributed it to that.  Anyway, I went to my doctor to get back on Prozac and since I'm no longer pregnant, I went back on my Atenolol.  I've been "tingle free" since I started.  I just figured my anxiety was getting better with the Prozac, but maybe it was the Labetolol afterall.  Very interesting!  I recommend Atenolol, I've never had any side effects, I been nursing on it as well for 2 and a half years, and you only have to take it once a day, so it's much easier to remember. Plus it's a $4 generic at Walmart, great if you don't have insurance! :)  Good luck, I highly doubt there's anything major wrong with you! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tingles and Hot Flashes/Cold Flashes
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »
Wow I am so happy to hear from you about the labetalol. My sister had taken it when she had her baby and she had preeclampsia and she said she didn't really have problems with tingles, but I never had any til I took that stuff. Just all on my arms and legs and NOW it's like it's all through me and up and down my back. Just like you had. You described it well, too. The cold chill sort of feeling because it isn't like a numb tingle you get when your foot falls asleep but more like when you're watching a thrilling movie or listening to sweeping music and you get that Whooosh tingle through your skin and maybe your hair will stand on end. it's like that.

There isn't much online about people's experiences with Labetalol, I have been looking and looking! It just says in the prescribing info that it can cause tingles in the skin and on the scalp. When you were mentioning touching your scalp would cause the tingles, I had that for a couple of months if not longer when starting the Labetalol but have it only rarely in my scalp now. Though I do feel it a little lately and my scalp keeps itching, too.

It is like when I MOVE, I get the tingle/chill/goosebump sensation and it's just going in my spine and in my legs and arms and feels like it's just all over me. Maddening and I keep thinking maybe it's cancer or something! I get hot flashes and cold flashes...like my temp can't figure itself out. I think I'm just so frightened by it and it's hard to ignore because well your whole body and skin is involved.

Right now the back of my head, my scalp there is doing tingles in an area about maybe 5 inches across and a bit up to the top of my head. I don't usually feel constant tingling, it really only "surges" when I move. Dancing is pretty much out.

Funny thing is that it will go away for days at a time, even a week or two then come back.

I took teh Labetalol late today at 2pm instead of my usual 10 or 11 am, so I have been screwing up with my dosing and that used to cause heinous problems, too.

I'm just thinking cancer all the time and am so freaked out.

I know what you mean about the tingles on the arms and legs -- it would always be the top or outer part but not the inner leg or inner arm. It's sometimes into the back but mostly on the outside and front of my arms and legs.

I will see my doctor this week and ask her about Atenolol. How long did it take for your tingles to go away once you got off the Labetalol?

You sound like a super nice person, thank you SO MUCH for responding, it is very encouraging to hear I'm not the only labetalol/tingle sufferer. I can only think it must be this drug because it never happened before I started it and I'm at my wit's end the way it's getting worse.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Tags: