Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Certain foods make heart race/pound after eating??  (Read 17597 times)

Offline Blah7886

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Certain foods make heart race/pound after eating??
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:56:11 PM »
Okay, so I started to notice a lot of my "worrying" about my heart comes shortly after I eat...I was wondering if any of you experience an irregular heart beat, racing, flutters, pounding, etc. after eating certain foods. Example..tonight I regrettably ate an Arby's roast beef sandwich and my heart rate is a little funky...this usually lasts an hour, maybe a little more after I eat crappy foods. I know this causes even MORE anxiety because it has me worrying about my heart even more...UGH!
Bookmark and Share
"I feel numb, I can't come to life...I feel like I'm frozen in time"

Offline daisy232627

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Certain foods make heart race/pound after eating??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »
Yes, this happens to me too. I think some things are harder for our bodies to digest, especially if I get full or overly full... ugghh and of course your sugars and caffeine's will also cause you to feel anxious......on a positive note, it regulates what and how much I eat cause I hate feeling that way but, when I do, I know exactly what I did to cause it! We are just so much more aware of our bodies that we notice everything and it scares us...so of course that makes it pound, skip, and flutter that much more. I have read other similar post about this, so I know we are not the only ones. I hope this helps!
Bookmark and Share
The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man, when he lives - Einstein

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness - Aristotle

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:12:12 AM »
Foods high in fat, if your overeat, etc., can cause these symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline hypo

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »
I agree with marc, high fat foods or too much at one time causes this for everyone.  I've had it, as well as my mom, husband, and best friend.  I've also read that food intolerances can cause this.  Some foods your body just doesn't like, not exactly a true allergy, just a food that your body has more trouble digesting.  My doctor suggested keeping a food journal to pinpoint the trouble foods and eliminate them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
I've had this I think for the past ten years or so, getting tachycardia after eating. It's not with every meal and I don't really keep track of what I ate that may have caused it, but I have noticed that after eating it would happen and last maybe an hour or two. Sometimes I would also get it before going to sleep at night but no other times. I've had my heart checked a gazillion times and I'm okay. It's just uncomfortable to feel the fast heartbeat.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline bsweet

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »
Yes, I get it too, mostly when I eat fast food.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »
I also feel anxious after eating fast food.

There is actually a cerebral nerve called the vagus nerve that regulates digestion and ALSO regulates the heartrate. So there is a physiological connection between the two and it is common for people to get a fast heart rate after eating, etc. due to totally normal processes involving this nerve.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Tags: