Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Psychogenic myoclonus?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline jesshoo37660

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Psychogenic myoclonus?
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:06 AM »
Anyone heard of it.... I'm hoping thats what i have since it's just my toes right now that jerk alot.  i'm hoping its not  a real myoclonus diesease but instead an anxiety induced myoclonus...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Psychogenic myoclonus?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
psychogenic seizures are not real seizures.  In other words they aren't captured on EEG's.  They aren't an actual neurological disorder.  They are brought on by high anxiety---big trauma kind of stuff. 

I was just on my epilepsy forum and was reading someone talking about psychogenic seizures.  So it was ironic coming here and seeing your post.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline jesshoo37660

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »
Yea was over there too.  I mean i have all these CRAZY neurological symptoms...the myoclonus is ONLY in my toes... can't really be TRUE myoclonus.. all i now is my neuro said myclonus, and bfs..... so OF course i looked up myoclonus and it was scary... then i found the eplipsey forum and saw psychogenic seizures and that make me think that maybe there was a psychogenic myoclonus... sure enuf there was!!!

you know, during my EEG, I about had a seizure... i was so freaked out after the EEG.  I never did get the chance to tell the neuro how i felt during the EEg maybe i should?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
and jess I'm NOT suggesting you have seizures or any kind of motor disease issue...

You are so upset by the twitching and jerking movements caused by your anxiety that you are having a real problem accepting anxiety and stress can do this to you.

Just thought I'd clarify..... :winking0008:

*edited* to add NOT
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:01:03 AM »
You had an EEG?  Or did you mean during your EMG?  These are two different tests..... 
Bookmark and Share

Offline jesshoo37660

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
I had an EEG and an EMG performed
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
if you had a seizure or was about to have one, an EEG would have shown that.  Did the neuro tell you that your EEG was normal?  My daughter's eeg's are incredibly abnormal.  It shows build ups to seizures and actual seizure activity.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jesshoo37660

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
He never said anything about it so it must have been normal... the strobe lights were really upsetting to me.  my facial muscles were twitching like crazy and i felt like i was gonna black out...but as soon as i felt this the strobe light stopped so i wonder if it had not have stopped if those feelings were going to turn into a seizure....  i rememebr i was about to scream and tell the lady to STOP ... very awkward feelings.... ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »
those tests freak everybody out.  They are very disconcerting and make most folks feel bad.  If I was doing that test, I would have been feeling dizzy, nauseous, my eyes would have been buggin', and I would be a twitching nut....

But if you were "about to" there would be evidence on the EEG.  

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
Have you ever heard of TMS?  It is the Mind/Body Syndrome.

this is Pan's thread. It is very informative.  Like Pan, I believe many folks with health anxiety are TMS'ers.  I don't necessarily agree with the idea that your mom yelling at you as a kid is the ultimate cause, for instance, but on the whole I think it is pretty accurate.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,12060.0.html

It seems to me, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to believe that anxiety is causing your twitching and jerking et al.  However it doesn't seem like BEASTY will let you do that.  You seem to need a 'real' type diagnosis for you to do so.  Do you realize psychogenic really does mean caused by anxiety or the mind?  Just throwing out there   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jesshoo37660

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »
Yes, I know that psychogenic means anxiety stress... so i'm trying to convince myself that this is whats causing this...  I never heard of TMS glad I read it thank you! and see that Pan talks alot about somatization disorder?  I'm gonna look up some info on that also.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scaredpeeps

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
hi jess i notice my fingers and arms jerk alot whilst im relaxing, sorry to steal your post but does this sound like the same thing and Sixpack should i be worried? as you know sixpack im obsessed with ms  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 62
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
Have you ever heard of TMS?  It is the Mind/Body Syndrome.

this is Pan's thread. It is very informative.  Like Pan, I believe many folks with health anxiety are TMS'ers.  I don't necessarily agree with the idea that your mom yelling at you as a kid is the ultimate cause, for instance, but on the whole I think it is pretty accurate.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,12060.0.html

It seems to me, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to believe that anxiety is causing your twitching and jerking et al.  However it doesn't seem like BEASTY will let you do that.  You seem to need a 'real' type diagnosis for you to do so.  Do you realize psychogenic really does mean caused by anxiety or the mind?  Just throwing out there   :winking0008:

True Story! 

I had a somewhat amusing experience at my doctors this very morning.  I have to have my bloods done for my liver every 6 months or so as I once had a high ALT level and a positive smooth muscle so they like to keep an eye on it.  I saw a doctor that I had not seen before today and he advised me that my tests had come back all bang on the button.  He then started to ask me about my 'anxiety' symptoms...I explained everything to him and he asked me if my trigger points had ever been examined, I advised him no and he promptly had a play around with them and then proudly exclaimed that I had Fibromyalgia/MPS.  I told the doctor that over the two and a half years I had been diagnosed with anxiety, conversion disorder, hypochondriatis, undifferentiated somatisation disorder and finally full blown somatisation disorder and that I was confused as to why I should place any faith in his diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.  He looked at me rather bemused and said that all 'these things' overlapped anyway and that he thought that I might, his words, appreciate a 'name for my pain'.  I thanked him and bid him a good-day.  I only went for my test results, spose he was only trying to help though bless him...

moral of the story?

...don't go to see doctors, they diagnose things. :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 62
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
Hmm, my wife has just kindly reminded me that another doctor was intent on dx'ing me with Fibro last year....she is now convinced that this is what I have!! :party0051:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jesshoo37660

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »
FIBRO???? Wow, that's a shocker.  I have looked into that also, but my pain isn't widespread...  And he told you this today??????  I bet you are relieved!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: