Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: does anxiety make your body weak?  (Read 7022 times)

Offline hollyweird02

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
does anxiety make your body weak?
« on: October 09, 2009, 03:23:29 PM »
ive been worried about my heart lately and ive been feeling pretty weak and having alot of burning and stinging chest pains. i did have a echo done and a event monitor for 21 days and they dont see anything that would be making my heart race. but i keep thinking i have Coronary heart disease. i dont think they can find it just from those 2 tests?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: does anxiety make your body weak?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »
If you think you have coronary artery disease, then ask your cardio doc about it.  Although I think the doctor would have told you if he suspected that at your appointments.  Remember cardio docs deal with coronary artery disease daily.  It isn't an out of left field disease.

However you could be having those symptoms from GERD and gastro issues.  Anxiety also does all of those things.  And yes anxiety can make you feel weak.  It can also make your heart race.  It can cause chest pains--pressure and burning. Plus a lonnnnnnng list of other things.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline FeelingOptimistic

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »
To answer your question "Does anxiety make your body weak?"

I think YES! :yes:  When my anxiety is extremely high, it wipes me out.  I feel totally drained, from the time I wake up.  I feel like I have no energy at all and feel totally exhausted. 

I think fatigue is a common symptom.

Take care,
Feeling Optimistic :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline hollyweird02

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
thanks :) i just feel as some days i cant even get myself up without feeling weak. and some days my heart well race all day long and ill even wake up to it doing that, thats what worries me. i have ann appt to go back to him on monday though just so i can talk somemore and i told them ive still been having problems. do you know if they can tell about coronary issues from those tests or are there others they have to do. sometimes i feel like i dont even want to get out of bed, my anxiety is pretty bad but i still would like to know for sure that im not dealing with something else along with it. my GP dr just keeps saying get therapy. no matter what i go into see her for :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline FeelingOptimistic

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »
It sounds like a good plan to see him on Monday.  Sorry, but I don't know much about heart tests.  Doctors train a long time, sometimes it's hard, but try to trust them.  And maybe a counselor could help you.  I always felt good after meeting with mine and getting things off my chest.

I hope you feel better soon.

Feeling Optimistic :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:18:03 AM »
Anxiety (as well as depression) can make you feel weak.  It's a common symptom.
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline NateFL

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 04:41:26 AM »
Just gotta add .02:

Make sure you are distinguishing between WEAKNESS and FATIGUE.  

Weakness is the inability to perform a task due to lack of strength.  
Fatigue is a burning, aching, sore feeling you get typically after running or doing something strenuous.  You may feel weak, but you can still lift, do things, they just wear you out more than they used to...

Think about having the flu, and then with your hot tea and a nice robe, you head up the stairs to lay down.  I bet those stairs, that you normally ace, WHOOP your ass...
Having constant HA, or anxiety in general, makes my muscles feel like I've got the flu.  I can still do everything I used to, but damn they just wear me out faster.  I'm also hitting the age of definite "getting older", and having to realize, I'm not the kid I once was.  Seems so simple, but it can be so hard to accept. 

My entire introduction to the world of HA was caused by the misinterpretation of those two words.  And funny, even though I know my HA stems from a typo, or mistaken definition, that has no bearing on the ease of HA torture.  I'm in this world now, and I've just got to learn to navigate the new waters....
Bookmark and Share
<i8b4uUnderground> d-_-b
<BonyNoMore> how u make that inverted b?
<BonyNoMore> wait
<BonyNoMore> never mind

Offline crazy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »
My current struggles are with heart issues as well.  And yes, anxiety can definitely make you feel extremely fatugued.  Waking up exhuasted became my norm - feeling like I had been run over by a truck by the end of the day happens more often than not.

I have also had every sort of sensation in my chest you can imagine.  Stabbing pains, severe pressure, burning, and a 10 minute episode of angina like pain (a spasm of my esophagus according to my GP) - it felt like someone had slammed into the centre of my chest and simultaneously lit my chest on fire and squeezed as hard as they could.

Is an echo not a gold standard test for heart disease?  There are times when I probably would have sold my only child to get one of those - lol!!!!  I have had a couple of EKGs and am waiting for a stress test.  I'm in Canada - things don't happen too quickly here.  In the meantime, I am relying on the solid judgement of my GP and my knowledge of anxiety to keep me grounded.... well, and 30mg of Celexa daily  :laugh3:.

Bookmark and Share

Offline forestbythesealady

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
I hesitate to write this. I'm always afraid that in my attempt to help people, I might cause others anxiety. I do hope this will help though.

Several years ago when my dad went in for his yearly physical the doctor listened to his heart and heard a heart murmur. He went for an ultra sound and they saw that his aortic valve was going to need replacing. They didn't want to do it until my dad started experiencing symptoms, so they waited and were able to monitor it. Almost two years ago he had his open heart surgery and had his aortic valve replaced. They also did a triple bypass, as they found three clogged arteries as well. My dad was 73 years old at the time. He was home from the hospital in about five days. He's doing great. Climbing ladders, fishing, painting the house...you name it, he does it. He never had chest pains or any weird sensations in his chest, his blood pressure was always low, and, he wasn't overweight. The only symptom he had before the surgery was shortness of breath. Now, I'm not talking about the kind we get because we are nervous or overbreathing. So, do NOT get panicky about that. If I thought I was having heart problems every time I breathed weird, I would make myself crazy. My point is...his primary care doctor heard the murmur. They were able to monitor the valve for a couple of years before they felt it was time for the surgery. He survived it and is doing great.

Interestingly, my mom has had chest pains for thirty years, has high blood pressure, has high cholesterol, anxiety (she takes medication for these things), is very inactive...and her heart is completely fine. Go figure.

As long as you go to the doctor and get your yearly check ups, I believe that heart problems can be found IF they are there. Remember, doctors do not want to take any chances, so if they really feel there is something there, they WILL do further testing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 12:41:25 AM »
Good post, forestbythesealady.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline hollyweird02

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »

Is an echo not a gold standard test for heart disease? 

i dont really know, but i have heard they have a harder time diagnosing women with coronary heart disease.  i havbe more symptoms now, neck pains in front and sides of neck and short of breath, not sure if its anxiety related or not. but i hate feeling this way and i cant stand it when people tell me its all in my head :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline forestbythesealady

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »
It isn't that they have a harder time actually diagnosing women with heart disease. It is that women sometimes have different symptoms than men and because of this women do not correlate their symptoms with heart disease...then they don't go to the doctor about it. The fact that you have been to the doctor and have had all the tests makes your situation different. And, you had a 21 day event monitor? They would have surely seen something on that to indicate you had some sort of problem. There are only so many tests they can do. At some point you will have to trust your doctor. How old are you, by the way? Does heart disease run in your family?

Neck pains and shortness of breath are pretty standard anxiety symptoms. I've had neck pain daily for the past twenty years. I get short of breath all of the time because I over-breathe when I am anxious. Do you take any meds for your anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
couldn't have said it better myself forestbythesealady   :yes:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline hollyweird02

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
yes i wore a event monitor for 21 days and i had a standard echo done the one i believe that they see pics of the outside of the heart.im just nervous because i went yesterday again because of the heart racing so much then i went to the dentist afterwards and found out i have some gum disease and i heard that causes heart disease. i am 37 years old and it doesnt run in my family that im aware of, i only take xanax 0.25 when needed. i just recently went to a therapist and she wants to put me on something else but she wanted to wait for the event monitor results and i go back to see her next week. im just really worried about the heart disease especially since they told me i have gum disease and have to go get a scaling done for that next week
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »
Many people have gum disease on some level.  My mother lost all of her teeth to periodontal disease in her 40's.  She didn't have the treatments to prevent it.  She is now 73.  No heart disease.

In my late 20's I had to have scaling done on my teeth.  My gums went right back to normal.  I now have very healthy gums.   I don't have heart disease.

Your heart was racing because you are afraid there is something wrong with your heart.  
Bookmark and Share

Tags: