Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Pins and needles feeling in left hand, help?  (Read 52264 times)

Offline MissJennayee

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Pins and needles feeling in left hand, help?
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
Everytime I move my arm I get this light pins and needles type feeling in my left hand. Hand it all day and didn't think much of it until I started really paying attention and of course, googled it.
According to webMD it could be a heart problem, brain tumor, or something pressing on a nerve ( i.e. a tumor, WORST FEAR ) webMD has now become my worst enemy.
Has anyone else ever had this feeling? I'm in need of some reassurance!
Bookmark and Share

Offline miika

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pins and needles feeling in left hand, help?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »
I would say this is very common symptom we people just have sometimes. I have it a lot too (basically anywhere though when Im super anxious), and I think it`s caused by neck stiffness, tension neck or whatever. Please dont worry about it, it`s very normal  :happy0151: there might be some exercises etc you can do about it to help it go away....
Bookmark and Share

Offline daisy232627

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
yes, this is very normal! I get it even when something scares me like a loud noise or rides at six flags (which I avoid now). When my anxiety started I would have this happen, sometimes days at a time, even when my anxiety was super low. It really freaked me out at the time, I went to the doctor and well of course it was the beast....Its harmless and one of the most common with us.....I know what it is now so it just annoys me and it don't last for long anymore because it doesn't scare me. Anxiety amplifies everything and can make it last longer. So you can wipe this one off your worry list , lol ..I think everyone here has had it, your ok!

Your right about google, it is not your friend, you should ban yourself from it and just start coming here! The best thing about this place is we understand how scary things can feel and 9 out of 10 times someone here has had your exact same symptoms.Hang in there it will pass!
Bookmark and Share
The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man, when he lives - Einstein

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness - Aristotle

Offline Strezzed

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:39 PM »
I would say normal. I have that alot. I use to get one sided body numbness and thought it was MS for sure. But turns out I have anxiety and Go figure the left sided numbness is gone! and has been for a mths. I still get the hand tingles etc. But seems to be part of anxiety too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NateFL

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:20:44 AM »
or something pressing on a nerve ( i.e. a tumor, WORST FEAR ) webMD has now become my worst enemy.
Has anyone else ever had this feeling? I'm in need of some reassurance!

Your worst fear tends to be what the mind dwells on, at least in my experience with HA.  If you automatically turn to the LEAST likely outcome, and your mind turns it into the MOST likely outcome, then I think it's pretty clear what's going on.  It's so easy to say to someone else, but so hard to understand to yourself.  I mean as I type this, my arm feels funny, and my mind is racing to figure out what it is.  I completely understand where you are coming from. But....

Something pressing on a nerve can be a million things...  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Ulnar compression, radial compression, are all injuries that TONS of ppl in the computer age are getting, that without any objective thought, can be manifested into something terrible in your mind.  Cross a bad case of anxiety with an actual injury that inflicts effects of nerve damage, and the tunnel vision becomes as easy as 123.  

Obviously, as I always say, if it's really bothering you, go see your doc.  First line of defense is proactively defending your health.  You know the saying, "The best defense is a good offense"?  Well, your mind can be the offense, and it goes on a rampage, sure that something terrible must be wrong, and thus, your defensive mechanism has now turned into an offensive threat to your emotional well-being.  

Feel better, do what needs to be done, and let life sort the rest.  Not really much else you can do....
Bookmark and Share
<i8b4uUnderground> d-_-b
<BonyNoMore> how u make that inverted b?
<BonyNoMore> wait
<BonyNoMore> never mind

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 203
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »
When I worry, it tends to be neuro diseases.  I guess I have reason to as my dad and sis had brain tumors and my oldest has a congenital brain malformation.  So I tend to go there.......

Last Feb '09, I finally succumbed and called my daughter's neuro to go in and finally face the music that I have 'MS".  I called the doc.  His wife, who manages the office, is a doc herself, and a fairly nice aquaintance, answered the phone.  I immediately start my free fall into loony-dom to her.  I'm crying and saying this and that.  Any word of comfort was shot down by me.  Frankly I don't know how she didn't tell me to SHUT the F*** up.  :laugh3:  But being who she is, she was kind.  She told me to not go to the WORST case first.  Two of my kids had an appointment with him the next day, so I got added to the list.  I went in the next day.  The doc was very nice and the wife hugged me.  ::)  Yes I had tingling and a whole host of other things (you may have seen my list of 'issues' on one of these posts).  He immediately told me that in no way he thought I had MS.  He did think that I had issues with my neck.  You know herniated disks or nerve compression somewhere.  I walked out of the office with scripts for a neck MRI  because he felt that is what was causing my stuff AND a brain MRI to help reassure me.

Fast forward---I do have disk stuff and nerve compression and mild carpal tunnel syndrome.  Funny thing is that I tend to only have pain and tingling and all that when I'm anxious or when my muscles are tense.  See when I get like that my nerves are compromised more by the tense muscles.  Another thing you don't even have to have the problems I have to get the tingling.  Anytime muscles tense up, it can impinge on a nerve.  Additionally anxiety-prob from a myriad of reasons causes tingling and numbness.

If you had a tumor on your spinal column, which you don't, you would have tingling all of the time progressing to numbness down the road. Symptoms wouldn't come and go.

ANd I still don't, after worrying off/on for 12yrs, have MS. :winking0008:

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: