Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety attacks waking me up at night - HELP IM SCARED  (Read 10984 times)

Offline peanut

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety attacks waking me up at night - HELP IM SCARED
« on: September 23, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has had this.  I can be in a deep sleep and I wake up with a surge going from my feet all the way to my chest.  Its hard to explain how it feels, but its almost like you know how you get really nervouse and you get that feeling in your stomach but I have it through my whole body.  If anyone has this and can explain it better i would appreciate it.
I dont have this everynight but I'm almost starting to get scared to sleep.
I did start medication last week (had them before the meds) so I'm hoping that it will stop
Any help????  Should I be concerned and go to a Doctor???

Thanks in advance
Peanut
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abnormal-Mindset

• Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety attacks waking me up at night - HELP IM SCARED
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47:26 PM »
I too was once scared to sleep for a few weeks b/c I would get attacks when I layed down right before sleep. But that only made things worse. I had to learn to relax all through out my day. So that when bedtime rolled around my whole mindset and body was calm. This is a healing process. Pills aren't my favored way of dealing with this. Although, they do help at times, just that I prefer an all natural approach. To train and teach myself how to take control is hard, but not impossible. Waking up with anxiety is like waking up with a hangover. It's just there and as I awaken I seem to merge deeper into it. Hang in there and stay strong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 54
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:49:58 AM »
Hello Peanut,

I used to get this feeling often, but would feel it most prevalently in my chest and wrists. It sort of felt like my blood was "sick", if that makes any sense. The way you described it is very fitting as well- in my case, I used to get it more often if I was napping during the day, or they'd happen when I was just falling asleep for bed.

Even when we are sleeping and our conscious minds are quiet, our subconscious is still working away and trigging adrenaline surges. It's not uncommon to wake up into a panic attack (unfortunately).
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline jenniferharper

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:11:24 AM »
I've been getting this to when I lay down to go to bed.  I don't undersstand because I don't feel anxious at all...just sleepy
Bookmark and Share
Jennifer

Offline daisyjukes

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »
Hi Peanut,

Just read in a book about panic about this very topic.  I have midnight panic attacks all the time and they are horrible.  I find that cuz I'm half asleep, it takes me longer to think rationally and therefore calm down.

The statistic quoted in my book that 50% of people who suffer from panic disorder have nocturnal panic attacks and 25% have repeated nocturnal panic attacks.

The reason for this is that the fear of physical symptoms can occur automatically over time with panic disorder. Over time the panic response to physical feelings become so automatic that we aren't aware of thinking but they still influence feelings and behaviours. This is why panic attacks can happen in deep sleep.

Apparently, We still have the capacity to respond to meaningful events in our sleep e.g. a mother of a new born child may wake at her babies cry but sleep through a number of other loud noises.  It is normal to have changes in physical rhythms during sleep e.g. changes in breathing or heart rate at different times throughout night.  However, If the physical changes are frightening to us during the day it is understandable that they can cause the same reaction at night.

I think the key is when you learn to accept/become less fearful of physical symptoms during the day, the automatic nocturnal panic attack to the same physical response at night will disappear or at least become less frequent.

I hope this helps! (and makes sense)   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenniferharper

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »
It does help and makes sense.  So, this can apply to me also.  I guess when I lay down or even awake I don't think I'm anxious, but my body really is?  Well, it makes me feel better to know that.
Bookmark and Share
Jennifer

Offline jasonibs9

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »
peanut ,
  Is that feeling in your legs like a buzzing or engine running type of feeling?  If so , you are right on track with your meds.  They cause that stuff for a week or 2 .  Although I don't take meds and deal with anxiety naturally , I have experimented with meds , zoloft , xanax , welbutrin , celexa , trazadone and some other one.  All made me nuts or like I would get if I was to have to do a big speech or something. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline eduk8or

• Rec's: 11
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »
Peanut,

I get this often.  I will be sound asleep and wake up to my body being in high anxiety/panic mode.  Like you, I have just started meds, so hopefully once they kick in it will help...but it sure does suck!

Bookmark and Share

Offline peanut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »
Thank You guys for all your posts.....It has made me feel so much better to know I'm not the only one.
Daisyjukes, what was the name of the book, I'm interested in reading it

Thanks again guys
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bama21

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
I've been getting this to when I lay down to go to bed.  I don't undersstand because I don't feel anxious at all...just sleepy
You might not consciously feel anxious, but your mind and nerves are sensitive and your subconscious taps into that.  Not trying to sound like Freud or anything, but our minds can spark anxiety at pretty much any time with anxiety disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
Claire Weeks, "Hope and Help for your Nerves "  is a good book
Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Offline daisyjukes

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
The book is "Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic-Workbook"  it is a CBT book.
Bookmark and Share

Offline quietonehfx

• keep hope alive
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »
I am trying to use guided mediation when I wake in the night... anyone else tried that? Also I just started taking cipralex... first time on meds and hoping they help. looking for therapist and trying to reduce stress.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: