Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My chronic neck pain. In the FRONT of my neck  (Read 64865 times)

Offline mom2boys

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
My chronic neck pain. In the FRONT of my neck
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »
My neck pain is in the FRONT around where I would take my pulse on the left side. My Dr. did feel around the area when I mentioned it at my physical. Of course when I do the forbidden "google" it could be neck cancer.... I sometimes have a scratchy throat but that was early in the season and I was also sneezing, watery eyes so I think that was allergies.I don't know if it would show up in the blood work or not. Someone mentioned something in another thread I hadn't thought of. That cancer usually shows up in blood work esp. when it's in the later stages that cause pain. I had never heard that before. I didnt think cancer showed up in blood work.

But the things I've found about neck pain are always in the back of the neck. I get that too sometimes with tension headaches.
But the front neck pain pretty much comes and goes all the time. I noticed it a couple years ago. But now it seems to be a constant. But so is my anxiety.
Of course I fear it's cancer being left not detected or something that has to do with my heart that goes along with the chest pain, like a blocked artery....

The only tests I've had done are chest x-ray (I don't know if it shows the neck area or not), EKG, blood work. I had a CAT scan several years ago due to my headaches. I didn't think I'd make it through that. I sat frozen with fear waiting for the results. I HATE tests and the fact that they are NEEDED. To me if the test is needed the Dr. thinks something is wrong.... :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline PepeL

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: My chronic neck pain. In the FRONT of my neck
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
Im a dealing with this right now.  join the chat, we can talk privately if you want...I'll be in there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline forestbythesealady

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
There are muscles all around your neck, I think, right? I get a sore neck on the sides, front, back, where my throat is, etc. When you are anxious everything tightens up. Before I went to sleep last night I was thinking about all the aches and pains I have had over the years...and I can pretty much say that I have had them EVERYWHERE on my body and in my body. Even my hair has hurt! It is a terrible thing that we put ourselves through.

You said that your neck pain is constant, but so is your anxiety. I think that's a key statement. You are focusing on your neck. We all do it...even when we try not to. Also, remember...when a doctor orders tests it is because he is responding to what you are feeling. He/she is just being cautious and wants to make sure everything is covered.

I wish I could be more help. Hang in there. This too, shall pass.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
Hey Mom2Boys,

Blocked neck artery was one of my biggies (as my fiancee and my pal Aruro can certainly attest). I think I actually made a post on it here recently... Anyways. I was dwelling on this for months- I wouldn't sleep at night (ever), I couldn't pay attention in class because I was too busy feeling my neck pulse, and so on. I basically lived in fear of it dislodging at any moment. I saw probably around four doctors about the problem, who all just felt my pulse and sent me on my way. I SWORE that I could feel a big, pulsating lump there.

I then had the fortune of seeing one of the most patient and kind doctors I have ever met. Basically, I had a breakdown in his office due to the stress and lack of sleep and begged for an ultrasound. Right away he could see I was a nut. ::) But he was very sweet. He talked me through it, explained that neck clots were pretty much impossible, listened to my neck just to put me at ease... and I FINALLY could accept it. Admittedly, I did email Aruro (another member on here that's a physiotherapist) asking if it was normal to feel a ropey, pulsating lump bit. I've basically learned not to poke around your neck too much.

SO I'm not sure if that helps at all. If you don't smoke and have your cholesterol at pretty good levels, there's no reason your neck would be clogged. (If you don't know your cholesterol, it's just a good idea to have it checked once every 4-5 years to keep track). I do NOT think it's neck cancer. If it was, you would be sick as a dog, your bloodwork would probably be off, and the pain would not come and go- it would progress.

Necks are basically a cylinder of muscle. Besides our spine and some veins, there's really not much going on in there. And my right side of my neck (just over my pulse!) is really hurting right now too... probably because I just wrote all this bit about neck clots. :laugh3: So it just goes to prove that we are very suggestible creatures.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline worriedsick

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
i have had a pain in the front right of my neck for the past 9 months.  It has come and gone sometimes worse than others.

I also feel like there is less meat on the front right of my neck as well, and that my right side of my face is "droopy" and that my tongue on the right has less mass.  Also I feel like my right ear doesn't work as well.

I have been afraid of many things ranging from the absurd (mad cow disease) to the benign and everything in between (als, m.s., brain tumor, blocked artery, parkinsons, cancer, everything).  granted I have had a lot more going on than just that but... still one of my most vibrant concerns.

Perhaps I pulled it lifting weights over the past 2 years.  perhaps I slept on it funny (i had been laying on the couch with my neck in an awkward position with my laptop on my chest --- GOOGLING SYMPTOMS LATE AT NIGHT of all things for HOURS for endless nights at a time! - maybe some muscles got messed up doing this eh?)

well the thing is after I googled i had the same conclusion - crap no one has pains in the front of their neck if it isnt serious!!! no one has googled about pains in the front!!!

well as you can see by at least 3 others on here thats not true.  look back at some of my other posts for responses.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: