Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Upper back pain , arm pain , chest pain  (Read 36142 times)

Offline kyliepow2004

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Upper back pain , arm pain , chest pain
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »
hey i have pain that comes and goes in my upper back , chest and both arms.

i have had a chest xray , blood tests and e.c.g they all come bk normal

i am 22 yrs old and really worried about these symptoms

i also get nausea , sweating and feel very anxious most of the time

im googling my symptoms all the time and then things like lung cancer , heart disease etc come up but ive seen many doctors who have said they think the pain is muscular ???

could this be anxiety ???

Bookmark and Share

Offline learning to cope

• Poke This Member
Re: Upper back pain , arm pain , chest pain
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »
Even though I am new here I can relate to what you are saying. It's tough when you are suffering from anxiety which presents physical symtpoms which makes hypochondria worse. It's a never ending circle since one causes the other and you never know where it all begins and ends. I too have had some very pronounced physical ailements similar to what you have (chest pains,body aches,headaches,shortness of breath, etc.) I also have had full body exams (CT Scan, MRI, ultrasounds,EKG,x rays) and all have come back normal yet it is so hard for me to accept that I am fine. i have no reason to believe I am sick yet I can't shake this feeling. I am now coming to grips with my hypochondria and trying to learn to cope with this all. You could very well have anxiety. It sounds similar to what so many of us are going through.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 195
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
You've had all of the tests.  All are normal.
Sounds like you are good to go.

Now did you know that anxiety shows up with all kinds of physical symptoms?  You don't even have to know you are anxious for your body to start reacting.  It happens all of the time.  That's why so many folks don't believe it is anxiety at first.

Everything you've listed here is very common with anxiety.  AND if you are worried about a particular ailment, your BEASTY (anxiety) can pretty much provide the symptoms to match the disease.  I've lived it as have many folks here.   :yes:   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline 19yearold

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
hi kyliepow2004

how did your symptoms first come on? i have similar symptoms to this. mine were quite sudden and now i have a dull chest pain along with upper back pain sometimes and left arm pain and also in my left leg.

do u also feel fatigued, this is what im feeling?

what is the pain like?

thanks luke
Bookmark and Share

Offline kyliepow2004

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:27:17 PM »
thnx 4 all ur replys

it started couple of months ago with bad cough , coughing up phlem and pain in my top of my back, think it was from coughing the pain bu i got all wound up n googled my symptoms and things like lung cancer come up so my anxiety as got really bad and get pains in my upper back which feel like cramps like a dull ache uncder my shoulders either left or right,  like a dull ache going into my chest from my sides n my arms just ache

what do urs feel like luke ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 19yearold

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »
i have those symptoms to but sometimes i get small sharp pains in my chest to.
unlike you i didnt have a bad cough/cold it just suddenly came on.
have you looked up titze syndrome-you might have that and it's harmless.

are you fatigued like me? or just those symptoms?
thanks luke
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbapooky

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:11:03 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering like this.  I to have anxiety and many times have the same symptoms as you.  Pain in the back, chest, arm.  I had ekg, chest xrays, blood work and seen a few doctors and a visit to the er.  This has been going on for months.  I guess we just need to accept the fact that if it was our heart we would know by now.

Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 53
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »
Sounds like muscle tension to me. Coughing like that is enough to throw out your neck/back or mess up some muscles.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline mom2boys

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »
I am suffering from this right now. Chest pain, upper back and constant upper neck pain on the left front side. It's exhausting. I have mentioned the chest pain and the neck pain. Dr. felt all along the area at my physical where I also had blood work, chest x-ray and EKG. I'm convinced the neck pain is cancer. It gets more painful the more I think about it. It hardly ever goes away....
It's hard to convince myself that these physical symptoms that leave me frozen with fear could all be anxiety.....

I feel your pain. It helps some to read I'm not the only one who gets these symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
Hyperchondria(health anxiety), panic disorder,social anxiety, GAD, recently insomnia
Meds tried Lexapro,(twice) Trazodone, Cymbalta, Buspar,xanax, zoloft, back on zoloft for a 2nd time

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 195
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »
it started couple of months ago with bad cough , coughing up phlem and pain in my top of my back, think it was from coughing the pain bu i got all wound up n googled my symptoms and things like lung cancer come up so my anxiety as got really bad and get pains in my upper back which feel like cramps like a dull ache uncder my shoulders either left or right,  like a dull ache going into my chest from my sides n my arms just ache

sounds like google taught you a new disease to fret over.  Googling causes anxiety.  Those with anxiety shouldn't google aches/pains.  Once you've googled you end up worse.  See what started off as a chest cold or allergies, by googling your BEASTY convinced you that it must be worse.  So you start overthinking all of this and you increased your anxiety, thereby increasing your physical pains. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline kyliepow2004

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »
sorry luke whats fatigue ? ill look up titze syndome nw and thanx every1 i sometimes wonder if its anxiety causing the symptoms or the symptoms causing anxiety :( x
Bookmark and Share

Offline 19yearold

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
fatigue is another word for tiredness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kyliepow2004

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
Yea i feel tired alot luke i think the pain n worrying takes it out of me , i looked up titze syndome and yea maybe i have that its just i cant stop worryin its my heart or lungs bu wouldnt a chest xray find that ? makes me feel better that im nt alone xxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline 19yearold

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »
hey,

a chest x-ray would show up a great deal of abnormalities. I had one.

It would show lung cancer (especially in your case as you have pain (only advanced lung cancer has pain) ) and therefore if you have the pain and the x-ray shows nothing then you have nothing to worry about.
a x-ray would also show and enlarged heart which yours didn't so rules out many serious heart conditions.

seriously, count yourself lucky that you've had something 'obvious' that has triggered your symptoms (your bad illness prior).
Many of us, including me, are somewhat distressed as we wonder what has or is causing our anxiety physical symptoms.

thanks
Luke
Bookmark and Share

Offline kyliepow2004

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 04:13:45 PM »
thank u so much luke u have put my mind at rest :) if u want to talk on ***** my addy is kyliepow2004@***** x
Bookmark and Share

Tags: