Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: numb spot at face  (Read 4924 times)

Offline topuklu

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
numb spot at face
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »

Hey there again..
 When I open my mouth or laugh, i feel a numbness between my left ear and nose, near the cheekbone. I feel something in there, likle somebody pressing his/her finger. I can't figure out is it numbness or something else. When i touch there, i can feel the touching but i can't describe it with words, there's something in here. I noticed it like a week ago. It's not there always, it comes and goes. Now it's here again and bothers me. I'm connecting it with a brain disease, like always.. :(

Do you have an idea? What could it be ?
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: numb spot at face
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »
if it is something that comes and goes, it certainly can't be a brain disease.  If you are thinking a tumor or some such thing, it wouldn't be able to move itself around.  It would be there all of the time.

I know sometimes when I was at high level of worrying about something, I think I see something or feel something and in reality there isn't anything there at all.  It's ole BEASTY mucking with me.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline topuklu

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »
Yeah, i know that beasty thing, but i think that feeling is real. It appears when i'm not thinking about or not aware of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline icanrelate1

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »
Same thing happened to me last year. I had a spot about my cheekbone on one side of my face that felt so odd. Sometimes I thought it was numb, sometimes it was like someone was just holding there finger in that spot. I was completely freaked out about it. I was convinced without a doubt it was a brain tumor. But after about a month, it went away. I chalked it up to anxiety completely! Hope this helps you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gem

• Rec's: 4
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »
I have a friend who studies medicine and on 1 occasion, when i was asking about a physical symptom of mine, and she said 'gem very often your body will do weird things, it WILL give you a strange feeling, you might have a little pain or a numb spot or anything really, but just because you have it, it doesnt mean it is dangerous or life threatening. sometimes you just have to accept these things'

I cant tell you how many times my dad has gone to ER with various complaints, once we even thought he had a stroke because he was talking funny,he has lost his short term memory, hellucinated, and lots of other weird and wonderful scary situations, but hundreds of tests later and after 59 years he is still here. We now believe those things could have been due to stress, he has something almost every day, but the point im getting at is he is still alive, he is still living.
The worst part of health anxiety is immediately thinking we are going to have the most aggressive disease in the world that cant be treated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline topuklu

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »

Thank you guys, you're right...
 It's gone now, but i know it'll come back. how funny we are :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 54
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »
If you anticipate it coming back, yep, it will come back unfortunately! Because you're expecting it to come back, it means that in the back of your mind, you're going to be focusing at least a portion of your energy on monitoring the spot for potential numbness. And if you get ANY sort of twinge in that area, then your brain will immediately latch onto that as something threatening and sound red alert. :yes: On the other hand, the problem isn't to actively ignore that spot, because that too focuses energy on the spot! ::) Best thing to do is keep your mind busy so that you won't have time to think about it.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Tags: