Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bad banana  (Read 9499 times)

Offline countrygirl

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Bad banana
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
Can you get food poisoning from eating a bit of banana that has gone bad?
I had eaten three quarters of it and it had been fine but then had a mouthful that tasted odd and after I had swallowed and looked at the rest of banana I saw it had gone bad up the middle so it looked fine on outside.
I made myself sick but only got some banana up.
I know in the past i have eaten grapes that tasted strange and they were bad inside and had no ill effects but for some reason this banana has worried me. The whole bunch was going bad from bottom up but on the inside of fruit so not able to see it.
I am moving house in 6 days and have mammoth amounts to do and so scared I will be ill and have done it myself by not being vigilant enough and didn't look at my banana when I ate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AruroGotti

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bad banana
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:23:35 PM »
You ate a bruised banana, girl let me tell you I would be 6 feet under if we got sick everytime I ate a bruised banana!
Bookmark and Share
RIP Arturo Gatti April 15, 1972-July 9, 2009...***www.vitaminDcouncil.org***

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
but they can sure smell gnarly  can't they. :P

I think you'll be fine.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline countrygirl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »
Thanks both. What was worrying me was there was a hole in the very bottom of banana that was start of badness where the skin all joins at bottom and I was thinking what if some nasty bacteria has got in ::) Oh how I hate the what ifs of health anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedsick

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
i think ur fine.... moldy cookies on the other hand...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
i think ur fine.... moldy cookies on the other hand...

oh worried you do have a sense of humor don't you. :winking0008: 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
i would forget about it altogether and not worry at all.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that.  I've seen chefs take almost completely black bananas and use them in their dishes.
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that.  I've seen chefs take almost completely black bananas and use them in their dishes.

yes ....like in banana bread! YUM!
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »
Yeah- black bananas just indicates that the banana is fermenting. Which, coincidentally, usually begins near the "nub part" because that's the oldest part, basically, when you consider how it grows from the tree. Banana fermentation and the brown colour just indicates that the bananas sugars have become concentrated, which is why it's better for baking. I use almost black bananas in banana bread too!
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline CoolCalmAndCollected

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »
Trust me, I'm the last person to make fun of the mentally disabled and the last person to make fun of anyone on this board (other than myself) but...

My husband's sister, who has a disability, once called 911 because of a bad banana.  With all due respect to her, lovely person that she is, that was a little bit funny.  I will be the first person to laugh harder about the many things I have done, though.  Anyway, I guess that goes to show that anyone can be prone to anxiety over what we have eaten.  

Last weekend I ate a sandwich from a well-known fancy sandwich shop and was almost done before I saw green mold on the edge of the cheese.  I just had to tell myself that was the only piece of mold.  I called the shop and they offered to make me a new sandwich but I didn't want to drive back over there.  I just didn't want the next person to get the same cheese.   :dazed:  It did kind of ruin how great the sandwich had seemed up to that point.

It's my understanding that most molds on bread and cheese and brownness in fruit are not going to hurt you; they just look and taste unappealing.

I thought I did a good job by not freaking out for the rest of the day (I thought about it but made a conscious effort not to) over whether the mold had made me sick.  I hope you got past the banana incident and you know that you're fine now.
Bookmark and Share
"Don't worry about things that will probably never happen." - one of my friends who has plenty to worry about but picks his worries. 

Offline countrygirl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »
Thanks everyone again - yukky cheese incident!  I once at a sandwich many years ago and had nearly finished it when I found the mouldy bit of bread and a few months ago was given a piece of cake by a neighbour and it tasted mouldy and survived both harm free!  Ate another banana tonight but made sure I looked before I bit ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »
Good! I'm glad you confronted your banana fear ;D I actually had to laugh a little while ago because I was eating grapes and one of them tasted a bit moldy, so I spit it out. Made me think of you!  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Tags: