Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Waking up with rapid heartbeat last 7 nights?  (Read 12618 times)

Offline jk315

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Waking up with rapid heartbeat last 7 nights?
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
Hello, my name is Jeff and I am 28 years old, I have been suffering from GAD since I was about 22years old. I take Klonopin 1.5mg a day for the past 2 years to try and control this. Well anyways, the past week or so I have been awaking about an hour into my sleep with basically a full blown panic attack. I checked my blood pressure the past few nights and it has been high around 145/100 w my pulse around 125-135bpm lastnight at rest as soon as I wokeup I took it lying in bed. I do workout 3-4 times a week and am not overweight.

I have dealt with anxiety for many years, but never have had it affect me during my sleep, I usually sleep 7-8hrs though with usually never waking up with interruptions. So this is all new to me and very discomforting since it's on my mind now and I basically expect it to happen everynight. Has anyone had these symptoms? I thought it might of just been myself overthinking and making it happen, but how can one make yourself rise outta sleep 1 hour into consistentatly for a week straight. I'm thinking my rapid heart beat is waking me up but I just don't know the cause. I have had stress tests done in the spring before to rule out heart issues, all came back normal. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jk315

• Poke This Member
Re: Waking up with rapid heartbeat last 7 nights?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Nobody with no insight on this topic?
Bookmark and Share

Offline rox011

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked? I have a thyroid problem and the symptoms mimic panic and anxiety. It's tricky for me because I suffer from both but it never hurts to get that checked.  All you have to do is have your Dr do some simple blood work and you can rule that out. Hope this helps
Bookmark and Share

Offline BruiserBear

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »
jk315.

Sounds like anxiety to me.  There is no reason to explain why your pulse would decide to get so high while you're sleeping.  You are probably waking up in an anxiety state.  I've had the exact same problem myself.

I would wake up panicked, and with my heart racing.  I then began to fear that happening so much, that I would wake up nearly every hour, jumping from my sleep.  How did I make this completely go away?

I stopped fearing it.  Once I lost the fear, I would still wake up in the middle of the night, but I began telling myself "It's ok that I'm waking up anxious.  I'm just going to sit here and be ok, and maybe watch some tv for a few moments".  In other words, once I began to stop concerning myself with waking up this way, it slowly began to happen less and less.  This was happening to me just a couple months ago, and now it's not happening at all.  It's simply because I decided not to care anymore if I woke up that way, and once I decided I didn't care about it, the fear was removed and it stopped happening.

In my opinion, this is the core element of defeating anxiety once and for all.  Accepting the fears you're experiencing, and just not caring anymore when they occur.  Because once your mind tells you to be scared, your body will react accordingly.  If you control your mind to say you're not scared, so goes your body and the physical symptoms you're experiencing.  It's not going to work instantly like magic, but in time it can happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »
jk315.

Sounds like anxiety to me.  There is no reason to explain why your pulse would decide to get so high while you're sleeping.  You are probably waking up in an anxiety state.  I've had the exact same problem myself.

I would wake up panicked, and with my heart racing.  I then began to fear that happening so much, that I would wake up nearly every hour, jumping from my sleep.  How did I make this completely go away?

I stopped fearing it.  Once I lost the fear, I would still wake up in the middle of the night, but I began telling myself "It's ok that I'm waking up anxious.  I'm just going to sit here and be ok, and maybe watch some tv for a few moments".  In other words, once I began to stop concerning myself with waking up this way, it slowly began to happen less and less.  This was happening to me just a couple months ago, and now it's not happening at all.  It's simply because I decided not to care anymore if I woke up that way, and once I decided I didn't care about it, the fear was removed and it stopped happening.

In my opinion, this is the core element of defeating anxiety once and for all.  Accepting the fears you're experiencing, and just not caring anymore when they occur.  Because once your mind tells you to be scared, your body will react accordingly.  If you control your mind to say you're not scared, so goes your body and the physical symptoms you're experiencing.  It's not going to work instantly like magic, but in time it can happen.

EXACTLY :yes:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline jasonibs9

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
jk ,
  sounds like its just a side effect of that med..   that's all your dr. will tell you as well...  so you don't have to stress about it.  It sucks I know but if you are going to take meds you have to be prepared to have unusual sensations happen to you even 2 yrs after taking it.  Its why I don't take that stuff anymore.  I figure I'm going to have to deal with this stuff head on anyways so why use a pill that will have side effects that I'm going to worry about anyways?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jk315

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:40:32 AM »
I appreciate all the info guys. I'm just going to accept in and in due time it shall pass. Thanks again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tbird

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »
I just signed up to this forum to search for that exact thing...RAPID heartbeat at night and sometimes randomly in the day.  I am 31 and have a TON of stress going on...I have had anxiety since I was 20.  I have been off zoloft now for 7 months and am taking GABA Plus (a herbal pill) instead.  I was wondering if it was the herb...my heart is literally POUNDING out of my chest!!!  Has anything helped you?  Would love to chat about it...
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
Try L-Theanine for anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline jk315

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »
I still am getting it almost everynight, usually happens about an hour into my sleep, and passes after 15-20min than Im able to go back to bed and sleep the rest of the night wo any interruptions. I wakeup sweaty, my pillow is soaked pretty good, and been taking my blood pressure, and it averages like 160/100 during these episodes with a pulse of like 120 or so...I don't know the cause, but its getting annoying, I'm gonna start a sleep aid or something soon, never had issues sleeping or falling or being interrupted during my sleep my entire life, and i'm 28.......?
Bookmark and Share

Offline butterflycollective

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
Do you remember any dreaming? Is your medication wearing off at about the time you wake up?  I'm just asking b/c when I took ativan, I'd wake up when its levels were waning and sometimes, you can have these really vague dreams (as they're not as plot-driven as REM sleep dreams are) and wake up with symptoms like you have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DIESEL

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 06:14:29 AM »
I would have that happen sometimes. I am taking the same dosage of klonopin now as you are. I just recently switched to it from xanax and it seems to help better. You are most likely worrying that it is going to happen and so it does. It helps me to take a klonopin shortly before going to bed so it is kicking in well when its time to go to sleep. Maybe you can try to time your medication so you can take it a little while before you lay down and think positive. Say to yourself "I just took the medication a little while ago so I will be relaxed and won't wake up with a panic attack".  Your blood pressure is pretty common for an anxiety attack, I know how it feels, one day I called the ambulance because I felt so bad and my blood pressure was 170/100. Back when I was trying to exercise to help with the anxiety I would take brisk walks, i would check my heart rate the second i stopped walking and it would be 160 beats per minute so 120 isn't so bad.
Hope this helps a bit and good luck. :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: