Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feel like I can't breathe but I can.  (Read 12261 times)

Offline terrified1980

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Feel like I can't breathe but I can.
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
There is one thing for sure that can send me in a panic is my breathing. My nose always seems stuffed up and my chest always feels heavy. I am sure my sinuses need to be cleaned out and I think I am allergic to mold. There is mold in the basement and also this daily rain we've been having is not helping the situation.

My chest also feels heavy like I have something pressing on my diaphragm. I think that is just associated with my digestion. I should be taking probiotics and digestive enzymes every day but I forget to. But, with these two feelings combined I dont feel like I am breathing correctly. I think to myself "what if I have asthma and I'll stop breathing?" "What if I am so allergic to this mold it will give me an attack and I will stop breathing and be rushed into ER." I try and breathe out of my mouth and I can breathe fine but that makes me anxious. I try belly breathing that I have learned from my therapist but that controlled breathing always makes me anxious.

I find myself paying attention to the way I breathe constantly. When I dont pay attention to it it does not bother but but I am constantly obsessing over hyperventilation.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel like I can't breathe but I can.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
Funny you should post this today.  Yesterday we were over at my father in laws house for fathers day, and he has Parkinsons and his time is very limited...anyway, he's on oxygen.  The more I watched him, the more I started thinking about my own breathing, and the more I thought about it, the harder it seemed for me to breathe. 

Still today I find myself thinking about my breathing.  I wonder how long my sympathy breathing will last this time.  I'm going to go outside and try to find something to do to keep my mind off of it...but I just wanted to stop here and let you know that even the most healed of us can do this breathing focus thing sometimes.

It's funny because sitting here I feel short of breath, but I just yelled at my kids while talking on the phone with my mom and never skipped a beat.  If I was really short of breath I would have been totally winded doing that.  Oh the brain, the most wonderful and horrible organ in the body.
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline dan15

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
I agree with Kateycatt, and find that your breathing issues are very similar to mine.  Even though i am a heart worrier, I always feel short of breath.  I had my septum fixed and my tonsils out, and they thought that would help, but I think my sinuses are so blocked.  I am always stuffed up, and I'm allergic to just about everything in the air. 

Just remember that sometimes because our bodies are so sensitive, and we are so sensitive to our bodies, any little thing can start our anxiety going.  Our bodies are so sensitive to the "fight or flight" response that even the smallest of what we think is abnormal starts the anxiety chain.  So you may be stuffed up, which causes our breathing to be a little off.  Then our mind tells us that there is something wrong, so our breathing then becomes even worse from just thinking about it.  Like Kateycatt said, our mind can do amazing things, and it's not always good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousamaryllis

• Doglover :-)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
I can really relate to this!!! I have the exact same issues with my breathing and I'm also very familiar with that heavy sensation on my chest that you describe here. I also find that my nose is congested a lot, which just makes it all worse!!

These are a couple of things I do that help a bit.

1) I go out and do some vigorous exercise. Running or hill-walking. I find that this helps me breathe BETTER because the exertion forces me to take deeper breaths. Plus it reassures me that I must be ok if I'm able to exercise vigorously. This is a bit tricky if I'm having these anxious thoughts about my breathing in the middle of the night. Though I have been known to jog around the backyard at 3.00 am or even just run up and down the stairs a few times!

2) The other thing I do is I try and meditate. This actually involves focusing on my breathing so it's sometimes really scary and I can't always do it. But when I can do it, it does help. I try and breathe from my belly and I try and breathe slowly and deeply. As I say, sometimes, I can't manage it, but when it works, it does help!!

If I'm having a panic attack things get really awful. My breathing is one of the first things to get screwed up. In that situation it's hard if not impossible for me to do either the vigorous exercise or the meditation. But if it's just my general day-to-day anxiety causing the problems, then those techniques help me quite a bit.

Anyhow, thanks for writing about something that I've been thinking about a lot myself lately!! Really wish you good luck with this!!

Anxious
Bookmark and Share
May I become the person my dogs think I am

Offline terrified1980

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
Thanks guys and thanks for your tips anxious. I do recall when I went to the gym it did help my breathing but I would get all anxious and check my pulse every minute because my heart rate exceeded what it was supposed to for my age. I sometimes ignored it and my anxieyt would fade and I did feel better after my work outs but later I started to feel really tired and would obsess over being terminally ill ugh! I hate obsessing over my health!

I did read in many of my anxiety/panic books that people who have anxiety tend to not breathe right. I really should practice the belly breathing. Just bought a saline spray with salt water to clear out my sinuses. I went to the beach a few weeks ago and inhaled  ocean water and it cleared out my sinuses. I should go every day and do that lol. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousamaryllis

• Doglover :-)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »
Hi terrified!

I'm with you, I hate this obsessing about my health! I'm in a bad phase right now of doing that all the time. Ugh is right!!!

I think the belly-breathing really is helpful. I try and do that when I'm NOT feeling anxious because then it's easier and my hope is that the more I practice it the more it will become a natural way for me to breathe.....

Glad you had fun at the beach!! And that it had the added benefit of clearing out your sinuses!! I find eating a hot, spicy meal helps my sinuses too (in case you can't get to the beach and the saline spray isn't enough, maybe a hot curry would help!!  :happy0151: )

Take care.

Anxious
Bookmark and Share
May I become the person my dogs think I am

Offline dan15

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »
Breathing is the first think affected when I have anxiety too.  The two main symptoms of anxiety is the shortness of breath and racing heart.  I think that is why I have latched onto heart problems that I think I have and obsess about.  But just remember that those two symptoms are so common, and work on that relaxation breathing, because the more you practice, the more it will just happen when you start to get anxious.  Although breathing is involuntary, us with anxiety have almost changed the way that we breath.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: