Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Incessant mind chatter, thinking too much, aware of thoughts and CBT..lol...  (Read 12776 times)

Offline sarah78

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Hey Guys,

I have been trying my hardest to go on about my life without letting the anxiety hold me back from anything I want to do, or have to do...so far O.K..but.........................

I have ALOT of incessant mind chatter or as some would say, I am always thinking way too much!!..I am also aware of my thoughts alot and it's driving me crazy!! I also tend to notice that I think strange thoughts, such as, "I am doing this to pass time, life is short and then we die" lol etc..just random weird thoughts such as these..I have always been a bit of a deep thinker, but these thoughts tend to drive me crazy now and sometimes scare me.(I try to remember that thoughts are thoughts and cannot hurt me etc..)

So my question is, does anyone else struggle with this and I am starting CBT next week which I'm a little apprehensive about, as the therapist told me we will be doing some digging(not happy with that, cause I don't feel like visiting the past anymore) and it's a group setting?! Which I am not sure I am up for...

I have to admit, sometimes I find myself wondering will this ever end? Will I be able to live my whole life like this?!! and it can be very tiring....I truly wish I did not have to deal with this, not have to worry that I am going crazy(classic I know) but I know that compared to others and what some have to live through, this really is a walk in the park, I suppose...

Thanks for reading,

Sarah
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jitterbug32

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Hi Sarah...

I'm starting CBT in a few weeks too, but not in a group setting, it's a private consultation. I'd never be that brave, good for you!

I'm a thinker too, I over analyze everything, I have trouble letting things go, I have intrusive (and often very grim) thoughts. I look at my DH who is happily going about his life and I wonder..."Why can't I just be like that? Why can't I just live life and not over-think everything and drive myself nuts?" I guess it's just part of having anxiety, not being able to switch off or move on like 'normal' people can.

I wish you luck with the CBT...

J.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aeydownlow

• Life is short
    • Poke This Member
i have the same problems too. There was a time I couldn't control my thoughts thats when I found put i have GAD. I try to breathe and not over think but and I guess that's the challenge. To just not over think and just pause for awhile. Meditation is amazing it trains your mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TheLifeBeloved

• Poke This Member
God yes, im dealing with it now. Its like an ongoing battle in my head with the voice of reason and the voice of over thinking. Sometimes its exhausting. :dazed:

I wish i could give you advice but i'm trying to figure it out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brazilgirl21

• Poke This Member
So am I. I cannot stop thinking or analysing how I feel and what I have and why do I have this and everyone else is leading happy, worry-free lives. Well not exactly, but almost anything can be better than this "prison" that is severe anxiety. My mind doesn't stop for 1 second. I can be happy watching a movie and suddenly I'll be like, wow, I could never be as worry free as that character... and I get back into my negative thinking. I'm having VERY big troubles thinking about long-term plans. I'm certain that I will never get married, be successfull, or live abroad next year to study like I've been planning.
I also think I have it worse than everybody else!! Ugh, I hate this!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daybyday

• Poke This Member
I think this very thing is what has prolonged my latest trip into hell.  We over think, worry about our thoughts not being "normal," when we really have no idea what goes on in other people's heads.  My son told me one time that other people think things just as crazy as I do, they just don't worry about it.  It's almost like we are unsure in our own skins, that somehow we are not quite like every one else when we probably really are.  It's just a lack of confidence in our just "being" that creates anxiety sometimes.  Just be, and let it go, and realize that even though you have a lot of thoughts running through your head, at least you think about things, you are aware of life, you are aware of existing.  I hope this makes sense.  I believe that there are people who go through life and never have a real thought in their head, never question existence or its meaning.  I sometimes envy them, LOL, but really am happy that I have the intelligence and depth to question and analyze, even though at times it is painful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopelessromantic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety will do that to you, start the brain spinning and it never seems to cease. Even when I try to sleep it doesn't let up, I've been on sleep meds to try to quiet it down but even in my dreams it affects me and wakes me up!

Lexapro has quieted it down a bit, I'm only on 5 mg. daily but it seems to work. And Seroquel gets me a good nights sleep...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarah78

• Poke This Member
Thanks all so much for the great responses, its always nice to know your not alone :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline cubmanben

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
That's the beauty of this site... you truly are never alone. I can totally relate to not liking the group therapy thing. When I want to talk about my issues I want to talk about them, I think most are the same and I've noticed in the group settings everyone wants to talk and it can be disruptive. For me, getting on meds has helped me tremendously. It quiets everything down and calms the racing thoughts so you can actually think about what's important and work on your behaviors when you can actually stay calm and focus. Like romantic, I am on Lexapro and Seroquel, both of which increase seratonin which helps your mood and the Seroquel helps block dopamine which is believed to be the brain chemical that causes the racing thoughts and can increase anxiety. I know it's a difficult cycle to break and I wish you all the best.
The down side with the anxiety is that it's really hard to NOT focus on it when it's hammering away at you seemingly non-stop. Again, that's where the meds have really helped me. I've gained a much better perspective on what was happening and how I can cope with it going forward. I'm only a month into treatment, but things are going much better. I'm so hopeful to not have to look back at the past only to see how far I've come. The good news is that you will be a better, stronger person when you begin your recovery phase and I'm excited for you to get to that point because you will feel as though you've never lived so well in your life! You will get there, I'm confident of that. Good luck to you and God bless!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Michellekr

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
I fear I do the same thing.  In my mind I play out these roles but in life I'm afraid to actually go for my dreams.  My Anxiety has prevented me from doing normal things in life.  I can't even go see a docter because I am scared.  I dont know why I am this way and I think its driving me crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: