Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and sleeplessness  (Read 9039 times)

Offline danilan80

• Danigirl
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and sleeplessness
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »
Hi eveyone. I'm new to the forum, but definately not new to this whole anxiety thing. I have been suffering from GAD, Panic disorder, and depression on and off since I was 10 yrs old. I am 28 now and actually went 7 years with no meds and no symptoms until about a month ago when the guy I was with 5 years left me, and I guess that triggered something inside. I'm not very good with change. I thought after 7 years that maybe i had grown out of all of this. Wishful thinking I guess.  Anyway......my question is how many of you have gone numerous nights without sleep because of your anxiety and panic? It seems like my anxiety is constant all day but it gets WAY worse at night. I stress myself out just knowing I have to get some sleep cause I have to work in the morning. I swear I get calm for a few seconds and start to doze off, and then its like a rush of adrenaline jolts me awake. I can feel it in my stomach and my heart races for a few seconds and then calms down again only to do this over and over until the sun comes up. I haven't slept but MAYBE 1 or 2 hours a night for 2 nights now and I wonder how long I can go with no sleep like this before it either gets better or I die!! I use to go through this and remember actually getting better in a couple weeks.  I just wonder if any of you have the same problem. I know that between attacks (my attacks lasting 1 or 2 weeks) I usually overload with sleep. Its like i am getting prepared for the sleepless nights. I have to work and it is very hard when I am so tired. I am on Lexapro 10mg a day and the doc gave me Xanax .25 for panic attacks as needed. And Lunesta to sleep. I have yet to try the Lunesta. I just began the meds a couple days ago so i am sure it will take time to start working, but the Xanax didnt seem to help me much at all as far as sleep and panic was concerned. I tried Klonopin before also and that didn't help much either. But maybe I wasn't on these drugs long enough to really know if they work or not. All I know is that this getting no sleep is driving me crazy. I am so much better during the day, but as soon as night comes, I dread trying to fall asleep. It is torture. I would love to hear of some of your experiences with this. Just so I know I'm not the only one. And how/if you got out of it and started getting some rest.  Thanks everyone!!  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline gm5582

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and sleeplessness
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
Danilan80 -

First off, it WILL get better and you WON'T die.  You know it will get better, you even said so yourself in your post. It takes a few days (or a week) but it DOES get better.  I never tried a sleeping pill but if your doctor prescribed it, it can't be bad.  I suggest you try it on Friday night or Saturday night so that you can really see what its like the next day.  You can also ask your doctor if you can take 2 xanax to sleep.  Sometimes when my anxiety is really bad and I can't even sit still muchless fall asleep, I take 1 xanax and then I take another one a half hour or hour later. Usually after that I fall asleep with no problems. 

Try not to think about how you "have" to fall asleep.  Try to watch tv or read a book to get your mind off the anxiety. That helps me sometimes too.

Good luck and Stay Strong!

~G
Bookmark and Share
*GM5582*

Offline cubmanben

• Rec's: 15
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
Well, rest assured you are NOT the only one who has had these problems. My anxiety started as some hypochondria, I was having heart palpatitions and I was scared to death I was going to have a heart attack or that something was going to go majorly wrong. I know my symptoms were always MUCH worse at night. I made a couple of ER visits in the middle of the night and always felt worse on the weekends too, probably due to the fact that there were no doctors available. Eventually my anxiety got to the point where I couldn't tolorate it anymore and I too started on Lexapro. It works great for me, but obviously everyone is different. I'd go ahead and try the Lunesta. I was given some Ambien CR, but to be honest I didn't like it. I woke up in the morning just as anxious as ever, but I wasn't taking any medication to help with the anxiety. I think for you it's a good idea to help you get some sleep. You're never at your best when you're extremely tired anyhow and it doesn't give your body any break from the anxiety cycle, which it sounds like you need right now. As gm pointed out... you ARE NOT going to die, your body won't let that happen. I'd always cycle through nights where I'd sleep very little for 3-5 days and then would get 1-2 nights where I slept like a rock just because I was so exhausted. For me, the reduction in anxiety has helped me sleep greatly now. I also take Klonopin at night, but I've noticed that it's not really "putting me out" like it used to either, so I think it's just the medication allowing my mind to relax that's allowing me to sleep better. I think you've done the wise thing in getting on some medications and I'd definitely take the Lunesta tonight and get some sleep for a week or two while the Lexapro has a chance to get in and start working. I'm in my third week and things are going wonderfully. Good luck and get some good rest!
Bookmark and Share

Offline danilan80

• Danigirl
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
Thanks so much for your responses. Yea today during the day I was fine. Tired as hell, but fine. Its the night thats worse cause I stress so much about sleeping. But thanks so much for the advice and for the comforting words. I definately need them right now!!  Well off to try and sleep.   Goodnite all!!   :goofy:
Bookmark and Share

Offline hopelessromantic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
Best med for sleep? Hands down it is SEROQUEL XR. It is also an anxiety med so it works 2 in 1. Yes it does give you the groggy effect but if you have to get up at 6:30 in the morning, try taking it by 7pm, it will kick in around 8:15pm and you can get a full nights rest and not be drowsy the next day. Worked wonders for me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Redbone

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »
Hi.  New here as well.  Anyway, I understand what you are going through.  I do not look foward to going to bed.  I just recently got back on a sleep aid.  Suppose to be Ambien CR, but I only got the generic brand.  Well, considering I am on mediciad, I am only allowed to get 15 pills a month.  This sucks bc, just when I am getting my sleep back, I am tossing and turning again once I run out. :sprachlos020:.  I guess that explians why I am irritable and moody sometimes. 

Tonya
Bookmark and Share

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:59:46 AM »
i have trouble falling asleep so i take generic ambien. it helps a lot. i used to take trazodone for sleep. it was good also. there are safe sleep medications you can take and in my opinion it is better to get a good night's sleep on a sleeping pill than not get any quality sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline zeke

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
Brand new here myself too - this is my first post.  :action-smiley-065:

No, you have lots of company re anxiety and not sleeping.  I find it helps to stop trying to sleep and find a distraction.  Working or surfing on my computer is my best distraction - which is how I happen to be here right now.

Taking an Ativan usually works for me - if I have had a spell of sleepless nights, I take one when I go to bed, rather than waiting until I feel really bad.

zeke

Bookmark and Share

Offline jenaniah

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
I also have anxiety and sleep issues. I have taken  Seroquel, Trazodone and am now on Ambien CR. The trazodone gave me some pretty bad side effects and the Seroquel stopped working after awhile, but so far everything is good with the Ambien unless I skip a dose. Ambien doesn't make me feel groggy in the morning and it works pretty quickly which is why I like it.
Bookmark and Share
I'll be by your side, whenever you fall
In the dead of night, whenever you call
Please don't fight these hands that are holding you.
- 10th Avenue North

Offline Redbone

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »
I took some benydrel last night and that helped me sleep better.  :yawn: Considering I have allergies, I may take it more often until I get my refills.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jitterbug32

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 04:16:23 AM »
I take Ambien when I am at my wits end and need to crash. It's really effective for me.

Insomnia is my most hated symptom of my condition, there is nothing worse than lying in bed at 4am because you are desperately exhausted but can't shut off to go to sleep.

I take Xanax most nights, to relax enough to go to sleep. Not recommended. But it's what I am doing at the moment.

J.
Bookmark and Share

Offline danilan80

• Danigirl
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
Just curious......do all of you suffer from this on a constant basis or do you go through spurts? I mean I use to go through "episodes". 2 weeks feeling bad and then 2 weeks feeling normal. I would go like that for almost a year on and off. And then it would go away for 2 or 3 years and then return. Like I said in my first post, I hadn't had a breakdown like this in 7 years. I just wondered if any of you have gone through the same thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenaniah

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »
Just curious......do all of you suffer from this on a constant basis or do you go through spurts? I mean I use to go through "episodes". 2 weeks feeling bad and then 2 weeks feeling normal. I would go like that for almost a year on and off. And then it would go away for 2 or 3 years and then return. Like I said in my first post, I hadn't had a breakdown like this in 7 years. I just wondered if any of you have gone through the same thing.

Not sure if you mean is the insomnia constant or the anxiety but in my case it is both. When not on meds I don't sleep mopre then 2 - 4 hours/night and never more then 45 minutes at a time. With Ambien I average between 6 & 9 and sleep mostly all night. I do wake up usually to go to the bathroom but I am able to fall right back to sleep whereas without meds I would just toss and turn and think way too much.

My anxiety is always there and I am sure it always will be. I have times when it is better then others but it is never completely gone.
Bookmark and Share
I'll be by your side, whenever you fall
In the dead of night, whenever you call
Please don't fight these hands that are holding you.
- 10th Avenue North

Offline zeke

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »

Similar patterns here, too.  Used to have episodes that lasted from a few weeks to a few months... then I'd be OK for 2 or 3 years.  Since I have had an empathetic doc, who prescribed lorazepam to be used when I need it, the bad spells are much shorter - usually not more than a week at most.  I think the trick is catching it when it starts, rather getting into a really bad state.

I'm curious:  have you identified any things you think may set off your episodes?  One thing I feel sure is a factor for me is lack of exercise - which may be why they tend to come on this time of year - and we have had a particularly vicious winter,  I should try other things, I guess, but not into gyms or spas.   :jumping0009:

zeke
Bookmark and Share

Offline danilan80

• Danigirl
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 11:39:28 PM »
I think what triggered mine was a whole bunch of things this time. My boyfriend of 5 years left me. I found out he was cheating on me and got the girl pregnant. Him and I had been trying for a baby for so long. The doc told me I probably would never be able to carry to term. Had 2 miscarriages while with him. So needless to say him getting another girl pregnant and leaving me messed me up. Also after the breakup I started going out and drinking almost every night. Not getting much sleep. Just didn't wanna sit at home and think about being alone again and all the things that made me sad. I wasn't taking care of myself and came down with the flu, and then a sinus infection immediately following that. SO I was sick for like 3 weeks straight. I think my body and mind were just exhausted. I started crying all the time for no apparent reason right before the episode started. I am up to 20mg of Lexapro, Xanax at night when I need it and am going to cognitive behavioral therapy starting this week. I need to just deal with all these issues I have been carrying around for so long. But today was a very good day. I feel fairly normal again. Sleeping on the Lexapro is going to be a challange though. I guess thats why the doc gave me xanax and Lunesta huh? LOL. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: