Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: worried about blood clot in leg  (Read 3310 times)

Offline mandah2386

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
worried about blood clot in leg
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
I have become obsessed in thinking that I have a blood clot in my left leg. It hurts every now and then, usually in the same spot every time, which is on the side of my calf. I am pregnant so my veins are starting to become more noticeable, maybe becoming spider veins, maybe that is what hurts, I dunno. Every once in a while I'll get a twinge of pain and it feels like needles in my leg. Sometimes I get it in the bend of my leg but it never moves except to those two places. If I had a blood clot wouldn't my whole leg hurt? My husband is a volunteer fire fighter and he keeps reasssuring me that if I had a blood clot i would KNOW that I had one and  I wouldn't be wondering. My leg isnt red or swollen or hot to the touch but the pain has me worried. I could barely sleep last night and I cried to my hubby that i was scared if I feel asleep I wouldn't wake up. Can anyone reassure me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: worried about blood clot in leg
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »
First of all congrats on the wee one that's about to enter your lives :bigsmile:  That's wonderful.  Pregnancy is such a wondrous time.  so many changes--feeling the baby move, seeing the sonogram....   

Along with all of those wondrous things are also a bushel of what ifs....

Yeah, technically preggo women have an increased chance of blod clots.  But like hubby said, you'd know it, if you had one in your leg.  The spot would be warm/hot, maybe swollen and definitely tender.  It wouldn't be just random soreness or little jabs of pain.

Now what you can be feeling is just increasing weight of the babe pressing on nerves in your back.  This in turn can cause pain in you legs.  WHen I was pg with my son (I have 6 kids--oldest is adopted), around 30wks along, I would get this shocking pain down my outer left thigh when I walked.  Sheesh it hurt.  Eventually that section of skin went numb for the duration of the pregnancy.  It was my son putting pressure on my sciatica nerve.    Also, like you said, a lot of women get varicose veins during pg.  That can and will cause pain in your legs.  Sometimes it makes them feel heavy too.  Some women have to wear the special pantyhose that support the leg during this time.  Also they have to keep feet elevated to help with circulation. Another weird thing is moles and skintags start growing on a lot of women.  Wow, got a new patch of brown on my leg when I was pg with my son too.      So, yep, pg is great but can also bring along a lot of worries too.

Next time when you see the doc, mention your leg pain.  When I had that shocking, my dr gave me a B-12 shot.  I dunno maybe that could help you too.

Good luck and again congrats on the babe.  when are you due????
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Lisa68

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:17:57 AM »
I just had a baby in Nov.......my legs drove me insane, and I too worried about this.  My obgyn checked the pulses in both my legs and they were normal.  It was on the side of my leg, not the calf.  I also had a spot that turned red and taking a shower made that spot tingle and burn.  It wasn't painful just annoying and scarey.  She did give me a script for the special stockings....this may help you.  Next prenatal visit just ask your obgyn to write a script for them.  I'm not sure how they work though, I was given my script 2 weeks before I had my baby, and between finding the codes for my insurance and then finding a place that sold the stockings and took my insurance it was to late........I gave birth lol

Congrats on your pregnancy........when are you due?
Bookmark and Share

Offline minorstuff

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:59 PM »
if you had a blood clot in your leg it would be AT least red and swollen, if not bruised looking.

also, it would hurt ALOT to bend your foot upward.

(experienced a blood clot in the leg before.)
Bookmark and Share
:) you'll make it thru...... with another point of view.

Offline wowthisismetoaT

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
Your husband is right.
Bookmark and Share
"Life isn't measured by the breaths you take but by the moments in life that take your breath away"

Offline dizziegirl3

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
I have had the same problem with my leg. Its my right calf and every now and then I get the same pain and sensations you are talking about. I of course starting freaking out and thinking I had a blood clot because I take birth control and that is one of the risks. The pain comes and goes. Sometimes it will be weeks without the pain and then days with it. I try to make myself believe its just anxiety but its so hard sometimes.
Bookmark and Share
<3 Hugz Dizz

Tags: