Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Visual disturbances caused by anxiety  (Read 28101 times)

Offline voodooromance

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Visual disturbances caused by anxiety
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:36:02 AM »
i've been stressed and anxious of my health for the past two months.During this period I have noticed a lot of tiny bright dots moving around my vision when I'm looking at something bright.My vision seems like static especially when I look at white walls,black colored stuff and at night.i also noticed a lot of eye floaters!They are happening 24/7 The most irritating is the static..I've been having this for 6 weeks now. Anyone else had these with their anxiety? Can anxiety cause this? Cause thats the only cause I can think of as I am only 14 years old.. Do i have to live my life with these disturbances..haizz..
Bookmark and Share

Offline josh12345

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Visual disturbances caused by anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:21 AM »
i have vision problems with anxiety too. my vision seems darker though and its not 24/7. but yes anxiety can cause all sorts of vision problems. and if it is anxiety related they will go away when the anxiety does.. and they didnt start until after you got anxiety right? so there most likely anxiety related and will go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline voodooromance

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:31 AM »
Ya.It started when I had anxiety and became a hypochondriac.hehe and its been 24/7 for over a month now.I think I should just relax..probably it will go away if i get my mind of it.thanks =]
Bookmark and Share

Offline blondie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
I have this to and it is so scary when it doesn't go away. I have had mine for a little over a year. I see little dots moving everywhere when I look outside or anythng light colored and at nights when I wake up I see little blue dots. Been to the dr many times.   If I remember correctly I have quite a few posts on this site about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Coping

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:55 PM »
I responded to your other post I believe, as well.

I was just about 19 years old when this started for me. I'm 22 now and I still have it - basically all the symptoms you described. From time to time I get worried about it, but I always assure myself that its not that uncommon. I've read about it, and lots of people have weird visual things, with no diagnosis for it, and no debilitating illness. I've mentioned it to three eye doctors now, and they all did a thorough exam and found nothing. I don't believe it is actually related to my eyes. I told the neurologist and she is sending me for a VEP (visual evoked potential). It tests your optic nerve or something. I decided that if this test is clear I will be done worrying about it for good! If something comes up during the test, then I'll take it from there.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about what you're experiencing. You are young and theres a chance that you'll outgrow it maybe. I'll let you know if I find out anything good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristypants

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
this is something that starts my ha getting worse all the time
its normally at night my vision gets worse
and its like everythings pixelated, blurry, fuzzy, has flashing lights etc.

its definitely common of anxiety
and im told it will go away! :)
Bookmark and Share
How ironic to be scared of death, when what you are living is a form of just that.

Offline Walter

• aka Nutty
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
I know exactly how you feel. I have had this for quite sometime. I have thought of quite a few reasons why this may happen. No solid conclusions yet.
1: Hypervigilance. People with HA or lets just say elevated levels of anxiety tend to notice everything! We somewhat learn to notice these things. You may notice that you are fosucing on them too much bc you are worried about them. Which starts a vicious cycle of fear. worry and stress and the problem just continues.
2: I may be wrong but I believe that adrenaline can cause our vision to change. For example if we were walking through the woods and we needed to be very aware of any wild beast, our adrenaline would rise and cause all the normal changes that it is suppose to. This is to help us survive.
Sadly the very thought of something harmful can cause us to have this fight or flight response that is totally unnessecary most of the time. Like when we are just sitting at home watching tv.
 Im at work so I dont really have alot of time to explain all of it.

I started having what they call "visual snow" a couple of years ago. This "snow" is what you are describing as static. I too notice all the floaters etc etc. I can see any little thing movie from the corner of my eye. Even a knat!
I dont notice it when I am not thinking of it. Since we see it on flat surfaces etc etc Ill post back later as i am out of time
Bookmark and Share
For those who dont know my name, I'm known as "Nutty" in the chat room.

Offline Walter

• aka Nutty
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:40 PM »
Ok, home now.
Once we have learned that there is something wrong or unusual with our vision when we look at flat colored surfaces, low light situations, whatever. I believe our mind picks up on that and the 1st thing that comes to mind when we see that flat surface is our vision. Just like someone with PTSD who may have been beaten in a dark alley by a guy with a red hat and wearing Old Spice. Any one of those things would bring a sense of fear to the person. If they seen a guy with a red hat maybe, or they smelled that Old Spice scent. It would bring back a hurtful memory and the fight or flight response takes effect b/c the mind senses danger when there is none.
Just like us having a fearful thought that something is wrong with our vision when we looked at this surface or that one. We notice it everytime! See where I'm going with this?
I dont even notice them when my mind is occupied. If I am sitting around and all of a sudden I see something out of the corner of my eye, I look and nothing is there, then a fearful thought takes place and the vision is now noticed.
I had my eyes checked by 2 optometrist and 1 neuro opthamologist. I got some floaters and astigmatism which I already knew about these conditions.
If the doc says it is fine then do your best to stop focusing on them and try to calm yourself down when you notice them by reassuring yourself that its just a heightened sense of anxiety and that there is nothing wrong with your vision.
Rest assured that other have or have had watch you have and it is not an underlying disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stupidmop

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 11:07:48 PM »
I have this as well and I don't think you should worry about it at all.  I have been to my opthamologist and asked about it three times and each time the Doc said not to worry about it. 

So I'm done worring about it.  ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline voodooromance

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »
When I statrted noticing my visual problems,I focused on it checking my vision a lot of times..maybe its hypervigilance? i am probably just focusing on it so my mind cant filter it out properly. haha and this didnt start until i got all anxious of my health.so probably nothing.thanks guys for ur replies. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline breynolds95746

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:57:18 AM »
def have visual issues at times from anxiety/panicking, totally normal though now that I'm relaxed but I often feel I'm going crazy in the moment I notice things. Has anyone else noticed that if you focus on something too long or zone out visually that the surrounding enviornment can seem overwhelming?
Bookmark and Share
"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage"- Seneca

Offline voodooromance

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:19:35 AM »
Thanks again. Anyone who experienced this and it went away? Tell me please.cause i want it away..it sucks :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline voodooromance

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
Need some more replies :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walter

• aka Nutty
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
It will go away once you learn to filter out or simply just forget about it. Mine has left many times but comes again when I am stressed. If you keep on wishing and hoping for it to leave then you are still showing it attention and its gonna stay.
The best thing for you right now is to learn not to fear. I say just accept it. Tell yourself that everything is fine, this is normal for people under stress and worry etc etc. It will go away once you stop noticing it.
When mine first started I asked others who dont have anxiety and when they really started thinking about it, they had the visual stuff too. They just didnt pay it any attention to it. Thye didnt fear itso their mind didnt harp on it and bring every little floater that goes by to their attention.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
It may not be a bad idea to make an appointment with an opthamologist to be on the safe side, even though
odds are it is benign.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: