Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: persistent dull chest discomfort, anyone?  (Read 34372 times)

Offline jc53

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
persistent dull chest discomfort, anyone?
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:06:19 PM »
Happy New Year!

Just wonder how many anxiety sufferers here have persistent dull chest discomfort on a daily basis?

My chest discomfort is on the left.  It's either dull ache and/or tightness.  It's mainly on the upper left front. Sometimes, it moves around to my back shoulder blade.  Every once in a long while, I'd get somewhat sharp pain for a few seconds or minutes, which almost always freaks me out.

I can't find any OTC pain meds that can calm my chest discomfort.  I take .5mg xanax (as needed) which sometimes can reduce the discomfort (60-70% times).

If you can relate, can you share your coping methods or on what meds you take?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 63
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
Re: persistent dull chest discomfort, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
Happy New Year!

Just wonder how many anxiety sufferers here have persistent dull chest discomfort on a daily basis?

My chest discomfort is on the left.  It's either dull ache and/or tightness.  It's mainly on the upper left front. Sometimes, it moves around to my back shoulder blade.  Every once in a long while, I'd get somewhat sharp pain for a few seconds or minutes, which almost always freaks me out.

I can't find any OTC pain meds that can calm my chest discomfort.  I take .5mg xanax (as needed) which sometimes can reduce the discomfort (60-70% times).

If you can relate, can you share your coping methods or on what meds you take?

Yes, I can relate as I have been having this for about 4 months or so.  I have been suffering from physical anxiety & Health Anxiety for about 18 months but for about the first year all my sensations where neurological and hence my concerns where solely things like MS and ALS.

Once I had accepted the neurological sensations as benign I then started to get some acid reflux and then about 4 months ago the chest issue started...ho hum!

I would be loath to call my chest issue a pain as this is not the case...in many ways it isn't really an ache but the best way to describe it is as a nagging discomfort.  For me it is always in the right side and always seems to be located in what seems to be a specific spot but it is actually impossible to pinpoint it...it feels high in the chest, above the breast and it feels almost like a deep stitch, the discomfort can at times radiate through to my shoulder blade at the back and sometimes also the top of my shoulder and my arm.  I would say the discomfort is always there but thinking about it it actually probably isn't...it is there when I notice it..lol.  The discomfort is not generated by breathing.  I do occasionaly also have some all over chest discomfort which is like a cramp sensation.

My GP has suggested that this discomfort is 'probably' due to anxiety/somatisation.  I have had a number of heart tests, a chest X-Ray and an ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder which have returned as OK.  My blood panels also show nothing out of the ordinary.  Now, I think I have got a good handle on my anxiety and Health Anxiety but the novelty of this is wearing very thin for me.  What is annoying is that every person seems to define chest pain from anxiety differently and that lingering doubt is still in my mind but I'm managing to keep it down for the time being.

The only meds I sometimes take is Lansoprazole for my reflux.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 63
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Will move to the Health Anxiety folder for you as would be a better option for the subject matter.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eletrikblue21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »
i have this problem all the time fills like heart problem because its on left side really freaks me out. i get sharp chest pains and everyone says its just gas but just letting you know i am there with ya. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tmicrowave

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 06:45:11 AM »
yes i've had tons of chest pain
ive read alot that sharp and left sided pain is rarely ever heart pain
ive had all the tests too just because its so scary
sometimes i wake up and it aches there
all anxiety!
Bookmark and Share
Jenna

"When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the soul laughs for what it has found." - Sufi aphorism

Offline jc53

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »
Pan - thanks for sharing your experience. I mainly suffer from physical anxiety symptoms and somewhat mental HA.

I am glad for you that your chest discomfort is on the right side. :). It's better to be on the right than on the left. Btw, I also have an off-and-on different GI issue: burping and deep throat stuck sensation, which was the worst in october, so annoying. I visited a GI doctor who did a gastroscopy (my 2nd in a year!) He didn't see anything abnormal. So I had to chalk it up to anxiety. Sometimes during the day, I would feel my deep throat is like a pressured air valve. But I don't have GERD. I took some Nexium for a while w/ no luck.

Bookmark and Share

Offline jc53

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »
Electrikblue / tmicrowave - I guess the sharp chest pain is more caused by some muscle spasm. GERD may cause it but can be treated.

I had lots of heart-related tests too, all came back normal. So most of times I can accept that is anxiety. But I still have some HA on my heart. It's so hard to get rid of it.

Just wonder if u take any meds to relieve chest pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tmicrowave

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »
i don't take anything for it myself
the less i worry about it the less i have pain
Bookmark and Share
Jenna

"When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the soul laughs for what it has found." - Sufi aphorism

Offline eletrikblue21

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 10:47:04 PM »
i take xanax and celexa but the chest pains come and go but some times they stop me in my tracks and i get a cold sensation over my body.really freaky one time i was alking through a store and had a very sharp almost blinding pain , and i told my buddy we need to get out of here and just went home and worried. i do not know what to do but just hope its not heart related. :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: