Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Are bizarre thoughts part of anxiety?  (Read 22862 times)

Offline carol27

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Are bizarre thoughts part of anxiety?
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:37:45 PM »
 Hi, i was wondering if the bizarre off the wall thought that i keep getting which scares me so much is anxiety. I don't understand how we become terrified of a thought, i can understand being afraid of say a dog or snake etc, i could then get closer to it until brave enough to touch it then overcome the fear but how do i do that when my fear is an irrational thought, i can't see it so how can i ever get rid of it.  I was so worried as i rang a anxiety helpline here in the uk and she said she'd never heard of a thought so bizarre as mine and that its probably engrained in my brain and may still be there even when anxiety goes away. I am so scared now.

My GP has said its an anxiety driven thought and he's not concerned about it as it will go when anxiety does but where do these thoughts eventually go, do they disappear? I really didn't think it possible for the mind to put such bizarre stuff in our heads as for 47 years i have always been a laid back together person with nothing like this until abrupt withdrawal from morphine. Also although part of me knows the thought is irrational it still feels so real and that in itself is scary. I would appreciate any help, best wishes, Carol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daybyday

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Are bizarre thoughts part of anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
It's just a thought.  It can't hurt you.  Your brain gets so tired from anxiety that sometimes it just  pumps out weird thoughts and feelings.  Kind of like when you get a song stuck in your head.  Unfortunately for me the last time this happened was after I sang Hokie Pokie to my 2 year old granddaughter.  It went on for days, LOL.  It's just a thought sweetie, it can't hurt you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gloomy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »
Bizarre random and distressing unwanted thoughts are normal with anxiety, they are also a characteristic of ocd which is co-morbid with anxiety too.
Nightmares and very bizarre dreams are also common, as are intrusive automatic thoughts of which you cannot control.

Distraction is a good coping strategy as is allowing the thought to come, briefly acknowledging it then rationalising it as bizarre, untrue, unrealistic etc and dismissing it as so.  This takes a fair bit of practice and needs to be done every time the thoughts come.

You mentioned withdrawal from morphine, quite severe anxiety can occur after use of an opiate based drug, due to the neurotransmitters in the brain being out of sync, this will settle down in time.
Bookmark and Share
I am a survivor

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »
Hi, i was wondering if the bizarre off the wall thought that i keep getting which scares me so much is anxiety. I don't understand how we become terrified of a thought, i can understand being afraid of say a dog or snake etc, i could then get closer to it until brave enough to touch it then overcome the fear but how do i do that when my fear is an irrational thought, i can't see it so how can i ever get rid of it.  I was so worried as i rang a anxiety helpline here in the uk and she said she'd never heard of a thought so bizarre as mine and that its probably engrained in my brain and may still be there even when anxiety goes away. I am so scared now.

My GP has said its an anxiety driven thought and he's not concerned about it as it will go when anxiety does but where do these thoughts eventually go, do they disappear? I really didn't think it possible for the mind to put such bizarre stuff in our heads as for 47 years i have always been a laid back together person with nothing like this until abrupt withdrawal from morphine. Also although part of me knows the thought is irrational it still feels so real and that in itself is scary. I would appreciate any help, best wishes, Carol.

Your GP is correct.  These thoughts (no matter how bizarre) are anxiety-driven.  The more upsetting to you they are, the longer they last and the harder it is for them to go away.  I don't quite understand why someone would tell you that your thought is too bizarre to be anxiety.  That person must not have anxiety, because with anxiety (especially OCD) you can have some pretty bizarre and intrusive thoughts from time to time.  Who hires these people?  Anyway, the trick is to realize that they're caused by anxiety and thus, they're meaningless.  The only reason an intrusive thought would stick in your mind to begin with is because you had such a negative reaction to it.  That's how OCD works.  Whatever you don't want to think about, your OCD will try to make you think about.  To get the upper hand you have to stop caring about what you think about because after all, they're just thoughts.  Even people without OCD have disturbing thoughts from time to time.  The only difference is they quickly move on, whereas someone with OCD will obsess about the thoughts (which is what you're doing).  In a nutshell, the thoughts will go away once you stop caring about whether they go away or not.
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline carol27

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
 Thankyou very much for your help and advice. Yes the woman on the helpline scared me to death, she has never had anxiety but said she knew all about it.  She said she'd never heard my sort of thought before and that it was probably entrenched as i had thought it so much so would be there even if i recovered from anxiety, my GP was furious to think she was giving out such advice, he said there is no way it will keep coming and scaring me wihout anxiety being involved. She also said anxiety thoughts are what if not i am which mine is so thats why i have become so scared about it all i think.  Over the last 3 weeks for the first time i have been having maybe an hour or two when the anxiety eases a bit and the thought is easier to deal with or not there at all but then it comes back, my GP says this is how recovery begins. I am quite analytical and always wonder where these thoughts disappear to.  Also the strange thing is when this first started i had a couple of other strange thoughts but i can talk about them now without too much fear and they go away pretty quickly, then this one came in and seemed to scare me more and seems more persistant, does that make any difference to it eventually going?  Thanks again, best wishes, Carol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »
Thankyou very much for your help and advice. Yes the woman on the helpline scared me to death, she has never had anxiety but said she knew all about it.  She said she'd never heard my sort of thought before and that it was probably entrenched as i had thought it so much so would be there even if i recovered from anxiety, my GP was furious to think she was giving out such advice, he said there is no way it will keep coming and scaring me wihout anxiety being involved. She also said anxiety thoughts are what if not i am which mine is so thats why i have become so scared about it all i think.  Over the last 3 weeks for the first time i have been having maybe an hour or two when the anxiety eases a bit and the thought is easier to deal with or not there at all but then it comes back, my GP says this is how recovery begins. I am quite analytical and always wonder where these thoughts disappear to.  Also the strange thing is when this first started i had a couple of other strange thoughts but i can talk about them now without too much fear and they go away pretty quickly, then this one came in and seemed to scare me more and seems more persistant, does that make any difference to it eventually going?  Thanks again, best wishes, Carol.

The more fear involved, the harder it is for a thought to go away.  It doesn't mean that it won't -- it just means that it might take a little longer.  Try not to rush it because that's what makes these thoughts linger.  The thought will go away once you neutralize it to the point you don't even care if it's in your mind or not (it's just an anxiety-driven thought and it can't harm you in any way).  Waiting desperately for it to go away doesn't work.  By the way, you seem to be doing a lot better lately -- just be patient.
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline looking4help

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »
this is a very late response but i think i know what your doing and its known as bad thoughts. my guess is you are thinking of the worst thing you could possibly think of and then saying omg i must be a bad person for thinking that. i for example was nervous about a date i was going on and then i started thinking wierd things like "what if i tell her i like to hurt little animals?" even though i have never hurt an animal in my life. or what if i tell her i'm going to kill her? its part of the what if syndrome and its just a thought every one has them you just gotta say thats a thought and let it go.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: