Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about twitchin and involuntary movements  (Read 5338 times)

Offline mgamble

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Worried about twitchin and involuntary movements
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum but not anxiety.  I am 26 and have suffered since I was 20.  It took me about 2 years to figure out what was going on(tense muscles, worrying, panic attacks).  I am on 1 mg Klonopin for the last 3 years once daily and up to a couple weeks ago it has helped so much I barely noticed anything except for the occasion fear out of no where. 

About 4 months ago I took on a new job as a broker.  Before that I worked with my family for 3 years and had never worked for anyone else my whole live.   I also moved 3 hours away from family and friends.  I have never been away from my close friends or family before.  Recently  I have been working alot and also am starting too have money problems with many bills to pay.  I would say that I have been under sever stress the last month especially. About two weeks ago I noticed twitching in my muscles all over my body form by arms,neck,back, calves ect.  This lasted for about a week and I was getting really worried because I started to Google things to find out what the heck is going on and you know the normal things came up.  ALS, MS ect ect.  Well this past weekend my GF came up and visited and the next morning she said during the night every half hour or so I would involuntary shake my arm or legs just enough that she could feel the  bed move, just a little twitch.  It is like when your just about ready to fall alseep and jump.  I said wow thats weird I have been having spasms all week for no reason.  Then she proceeded to tell me I have been doing it the last 2-3 months to which she had never mentioned ii before!! Now I was really freaking out.  Not only are my muscles jumping under my skin, but now I am tensing up and involuntary moving my muscles while sleeping!  Well wouldn't you know it 1 day after she told me it i started doing the involuntary slight movements while awake now!  finger twitching, foot twitching, neck movement, facial movements, arm twitching.  I am scared to death.  And now it seems like I am forgetting things like names of streets or places I ate at a week ago without thinking hard about it.  (I think that I have always did this but now that I am so stressed about the other things, that I am magnifying my problems by thinking that I am forgetting more but really not maybe.)  Anyway these slight involuntary movements really got me worried, and so does the memory thing but like I said I might forget 2 things during the whole day and then attribute that to talk myself into thinking I might have a brain tumor or something.  Anyway if anyone can help I would really appreciate.  I am feeling really down and am just not myself at all I just was 2 weeks ago before these spasms started.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mgamble

• Poke This Member
Re: Worried about twitchin and involuntary movements
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »
Also it seems that my muscles or fingers or whatever twitches the most right after I get done focusing on a thought in my head and then focus on something else.  That split seconds inbtween thoughts it seems is when I twitch 75% of the time.  Its really weird, and then as soon as I twitch a streak of fear runs through my head for a quick second.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 63
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
You seem to have latched onto a variety of different stressors that could well have been the catalyst for you to develop physical anxiety sensations.  The sensations you descibe are incredibly common amongst those of us who suffer from physical anxiety and are basically generated as a result of a stressed and fatigued nervous system.

To start to interpret these sensations as somehow being symptoms of a serious neurological condition is also very common and is often the first step in starting to develop a specific anxiety disorder centered around your health and well-being.

To advise you, ALS is a disease that is defined by objective clinical weakness.  Forget all the rubbish you may have read about muscle twitching meaning ALS this is out dated and mis-informed claptrap.  The time when you need to be concerned about ALS/MND is when you have severe objective weakness in a specific muscle or limb.  MS is a sensory disease and does not involve muscular twitching as such.  You are not experiencing sensory issues or motor issues therefore I would suggest that ALS and/or MS are unlikely to be the cause of your twitching.

If you have not visited a GP I would suggest a visit just to put your mind at rest.  I would be willing to bet you will be a paid up member of the 'just anxiety' club.  How you deal with it from that point is crucial as a quick look around here will be testament to you.

Please have a look at the sticky thread at the top of this page, it is for newcomers who are worried about MS and it may well throw some light on all this weird and wonderful stuff for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »
Sorry, I seem to have overlooked your first paragraph when you mentioned you where actually on an anti anxiety medication and had had issues with anxiety in the past.

I'm no expert but this would appear a no brainer to me.  You have experienced anxiety in the past and you have highlighted stressors that would have added more anxiety into the mix.  Now, lo and behold you have started to experience classic physical anxiety sensations.  It does sound to me that you have experienced anxiety for a lenghty period and your threshold has finally been breached and things have inevitably turned physical.  Have a read of the thread I suggested if you are unaware of how and why this happens as it may help.

Link to thread:   http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,9832.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline mgamble

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:40 PM »
thanks alot.  I will read what you suggested.  I just hate these physical systems of involuntary twitching as it is annoying especially since I am at a computer all day.  It makes it tough to type sometimes since my fingers twitch.  I just hope it can go away eventually.  Is Klonopin any good for this anxiety.  I really hate the fact that I am on this  med. even though it has helped tremendously.  I hate the fact that I know I am addicted to it for some reason?  I am afraid if I miss just one day of being on it I will have a full blown panic attack.  I just wish I was an easygoing natural person, life would be so much easier.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »
thanks alot.  I will read what you suggested.  I just hate these physical systems of involuntary twitching as it is annoying especially since I am at a computer all day.  It makes it tough to type sometimes since my fingers twitch.  I just hope it can go away eventually.  Is Klonopin any good for this anxiety.  I really hate the fact that I am on this  med. even though it has helped tremendously.  I hate the fact that I know I am addicted to it for some reason?  I am afraid if I miss just one day of being on it I will have a full blown panic attack.  I just wish I was an easygoing natural person, life would be so much easier.

I can imagine that the twitching must be annoying for you.  I have twitched for 18 months and am still going strong so there isn't any guarantees as to how long it will last for.  In some ways, it is good to see that you are focused on what the sensations actually mean to you in a pragmatic and day to day sense rather than you interpeting them as being a sign of something more than they are.  I am sure that once you have got used to the sensations they will still be an embuggerance but will become more and more managable...remember the key is to accept them and let them run their course rather than analyse and interpret them.

I will not answer your query regarding the Klonopin as I do not take meds myself and therefore know very little about them and would not want to give you crock information.  We have some very knowledgable people on here regarding meds and I'm sure they will read your thread and offer their advise.  There is also a specific meds folder on here that may well be worth looking into.

Ooh, one final thought.  All anxiety is really based on fear and also the wish that we could change what is.  As soon as we desire the need to change what is and refuse to accept what is we are doomed to anxiety and angst.  Whilst you may feel that life would be easier if you where an easygoing and natural person that is not who you are or where you are at this stage.  It is good that the medication has helped you for 3 years but maybe you could consider other options that could possibly tackle the core issues for you.  Just a thought......
Bookmark and Share

Tags: