Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: SSRIís vs SNRIís, thoughts?  (Read 10137 times)

Offline Pumpkin GT

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
SSRIís vs SNRIís, thoughts?
« on: October 27, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »
I am going to take the plunge and go on meds, I am tired of living like this, therapy and all that jazz has made it MUCH better, but thats not good enough.

What is better SSRIís or SNRIís? I have been doing some reading, but would like your thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tmicrowave

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
Re: SSRIís vs SNRIís, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:18:22 AM »
meditation, for me i just try to become more aware in everything i do moment to moment and its helped me because my head is usually off somewhere else
fish oil, i take this suppliment its been said to be good for your mood and for depression and ton of other stuff look it up
positive affirmations, i like to be thankful when i do feel good and read some positive stuff before bed
eating better and exercise but i'm sure you already knew that
Bookmark and Share
Jenna

"When the heart weeps for what it has lost, the soul laughs for what it has found." - Sufi aphorism

Offline Kayteecatt

• Rec's: 11
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »
From what I've read, it depends on which type of anxiety you have, some types do better on certain meds than other types do.  I have health anxiety and I'm taking Lexapro.  I've been on it for 2 months now and it's helped me completely turn my life around.  It seems to work best with health anxiety and OCD from what I've seen around the forums...which makes sense since a lot of people believe HA is a form of OCD.

I've heard wonderful things about Wellbutrin for depression.  I tried it for my HA and it did nothing for me.  Another one that people here seem to get benefit from is Celexa. 
Bookmark and Share
Some day the mother ship will arrive and take my HA back to Mars where it belongs.

Offline studdmuffin

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 02:32:16 AM »
my doc doesn't seem to care much for SNRIs. at least not when treating me. it's my understanding that SSRI's are a better first line treatment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ento23

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
I've had bad experiences on both so now I'm on Klonopin (my 10th, yes 10th med, to be exact).  In general though, at least from what my doc told me, patients tend to have less side effects on SSRIs than on SNRIs.  They seem to not be as harsh on the system.

-ento23
Bookmark and Share

Offline coops

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »
They both work on serotonin the nri's also work on norepinephrine. You can wikipedia them for a quick comparison just go to wikipedia and type in snri. Many like the added action on the norepinephrine neurotransmitter.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: