Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: OCD remission and feeling a void  (Read 2427 times)

Offline brandons_mom

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
OCD remission and feeling a void
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:04:48 AM »
I've posted a few topics on this board within the last 6 months or so and everyone has been so helpful and supportive.  I've had OCD thoughts mixed with HA and have thought within these months I had everything from schizophrenia to alzheimer's disease. I won't get into any of my supposed symptoms because really, it's irrelevent.  I'd decided to try CBT therapy without the use of medication and can't tell right now if I've just finally gone off the deep end or am actually starting to get better...it feels liberating and frightening at the same time.  I don't feel 100% healed by any means but, I do feel as though my thoughts are not as intrusive and bothersome as they once were.  I should be happy about this.  I instead am wondering if a brain tumor has made my OCD go away and now I'm just dealing with the symptoms of a celebral tumor.  The thing is, these thoughts come, and deep in my sub-concious they bother me but, they are not debilitating in any way whatsoever.  I almost don't care.  I still have some feelings of depersonalization but I think and hope within time and continued CBT, I can learn once again how to reconnect with myself and my family.  My question is, has anyone ever tried CBT and felt as though they had a breakthrough?  It's been slow and subtle for me, but I feel like I can finally beat this thing, so long as it's not actually a brain disease making my OCD go away :) Also, there are feelings of sadness and despair, almost like I've lost a part of myself.  An old friend or something. I don't quite know who I would be without my OCD.  Anyone who's ever had their OCD go into remission, have you experienced similar feelings/thoughts? I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks and God Bless.
Bookmark and Share
The belief that one's own reality is the only reality, is the most dangerous of all delusions -Paul Watzlawwick
[/font][/size]

Offline ocdengineer

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: OCD remission and feeling a void
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:04:36 PM »
CBT is very effective in the treatment of OCD.  It teaches you how to face your fears and the less you are fearful the less the OCD can bother you.  It does take time and that's why people have trouble doing it, but with practice it is the only really true cure.  I used meditation which is essentially eastern CBT. Same idea, different name.  I have definitely gone into remission.  My advice to you is to not forget how you got to the place you are and how crappy you felt before.  If you do then you'll have to learn all this over again when your OCD bothers you again.  If you keep up your practice you could potentially live OCD free for the rest of your days.  You may have to battle with anxiety every once and awhile, but that is a hell of a lot better than the OCD.  Congratulations on your first steps!  Keep up the good work.

Later,
OE
Bookmark and Share

Tags: