Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: is this nausea/sickness anxiety or? & can I take xanax to help?  (Read 21457 times)

Offline Veronica

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
I am having a really bad day. I have been feeling nauseous and have a terrible headache and feel sick which of course sets off my anxiety. My question is, if I have the flu or something will xanax make me worse? I don't know if I'm really sick or if it is the anxiety making me sick, but because I feel bad my anxiety is worse. It is a vicious circle. I don't know if I should take a xanax or not??? I want this anxiety to go away, then maybe I would feel better. Does xanax make headaches worse or better? Anyone have experience with this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 62
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
Re: is this nausea/sickness anxiety or? & can I take xanax to help?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »
I have had constant nausea for about 6 weeks....I have had physical anxiety for a year but it is only now that the nausea started.  The nausea kicked in as soon as all the other sensations lost their power to scare me.

Nausea is a common anxiety sensation and like all the others the more you fear the more power you give it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cercy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
And fear = being afraid to take a Xanax.

It's fine. It won't make you worse. And it sounds like you're anxious to me. But Pan is right about not feeding into the fear. I'd just shrug, pop the pill, and stop feeding the beast. Or rather stop feeding the beast and pop the pill if you still need to, lol.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:12:29 PM »
I have had constant nausea for about 6 weeks....I have had physical anxiety for a year but it is only now that the nausea started.  The nausea kicked in as soon as all the other sensations lost their power to scare me.

Nausea is a common anxiety sensation and like all the others the more you fear the more power you give it.

Pan, you're good for me. I have to tell you I have been feeling much better since reading your post about acceptance. It's been 24 hours and I'm battling every sensation and being strong, thanks to you. I read your post to my husband because he has been so good about it all and I needed him to understand things better and you wrote everything I felt and more.

That said, I also have bouts of constant nausea. I have some moments where I actually get strong "OMG I'm gonna throw up!" nausea but I don't throw up. I have acid reflux (confirmed with barium swallow years ago) and have to watch what I eat, plus I have IBS (confirmed as well) which does all sorts of things to my stomach. Plus the anxiety. I had convinced myself that the nausea was from my heart and signalled impending dooooooooooom but now I realize it's all my gut acting up and probably due to something I have been eating (I've been drinking iced tea which is making me feel really bloated!) Kinda gross but yesterday I felt nauseated most of the day, then I went to the bathroom and instantly felt better. So maybe sometimes it's diet/gut stuff.

Anyway, you're my inspiration and I'm so glad you're here.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline Pan

• Rec's: 62
  • Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
The brain-gut axis:

http://www2.vhihealthe.com/topic/mindbodygut

You may or may not be aware that there is a HUGE relationship between the gut and the mind.  Have a read of the article and it may shed some light on why you are experiencing the sensations you currently are.

Hope this helps you somewhat as I know it is a struggle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rae Rae

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
You might just have a mild stomach virus or you just might need to use the bathroom. I used to take Xanax only when I needed to when I felt nervous at work & it never gave me a headache. It's okay to take Tylenal with it too if you want, but not at the same time of course. If you've been on Xanax for over two weeks it shouldn't make you more nauseous. I feel nauseous when I'm anxious too, so you're not alone. But I usually only feel that way while driving.
Bookmark and Share
"The secret of life isn't what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

Offline niteriders1

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:07:42 AM »
Xanax always makes me feel better. The other day i was feeling sick with aching pains and warm spells. I thought it was anxiety so i popped a xanax. After about 45 min i felt like crap, nauseous and felt like dying. Right then i knew it wasn't my anxiety it had to be a virus because xanax never makes me feel this way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline zoey

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 06:03:24 AM »
Hi Veronica,
In the past, I've had nausea for months that was due to anxiety... It was possibly the most horrible time I went through (mostly because nausea really sucks, and it being constant for months sucks even more)  But it only emerged when I stopped having any specific triggers or symptoms mostly, which was odd. It was also very aggravated whenever I was under more stress than usual. It sorta went away by itself after maybe 3 months. I also get nausea whenever I have a major anxiety attack now, and sometimes just with depression.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:28:40 AM »
I agree with Pan. However, if the nausea persists I would consult your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: