Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Introduction - want to learn about partners with GAD  (Read 46 times)

Offline tinker

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introduction - want to learn about partners with GAD
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »
Hi,

My wife and I have been going through increasingly difficult times over the past 5 years, and through marriage counseling / personal therapy have recently discovered that she very likely suffers from GAD.  I've done an an awful lot of online reading (pseudo research, I guess) since we learned... and so much has started making more sense that I feel pretty awful that I'd never made the link before.  However, she's not interested in seeking treatment and gives all kinds of semi-legitimate reasons.  Things are only getting worse with us, and my attempts to talk about it are being pushed away harder and harder.

I feel increasingly responsible to help her through what she's going through, but I've had zero success on my own and we are both extremely emotionally spent - and there is no lack of resentment, frustration, sadness etc. on either of our ends.  I'm planning on seeing someone myself for coping strategies, but I was hoping someone on this forum could help me with insight, thoughts, resources, suggestions on how to approach her? I'm really kind of grasping here.  I know about the treatments - cognitive behavior therapy, other psychotherapy, drug options, exercise, diet, breathing techniques etc.. but she's just not interested in learning more, trying, or listening to me.  For now I'm just letting he take her time, and trying to let her know I'm supportive, but at some point things are going to break if nothing gets better.

Thanks so much everyone :)

-grasping for air

Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introduction - want to learn about partners with GAD
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Hello Tinker...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Tinker, unfortunately, the old adage of leading a horse to water, yet not being able to get him to drink, applies here.  Regardless of the problem, be it GAD, alcoholism, diabetes , or what-have-you, a person can't begin the road to healing if they refuse to take the steps, and no one can do it for them.  Many relationships have ended-up on the rocks before a person has moved from the denial stage, and sot help.

You might consider pointing out the Anxiety Zone site to your wife.  Anxiety disorders are treatable, with treatment often times including medication and therapy.  But to me, the greatest treatment to anything is our own attitude to what is ailing us.  A positive attitude, positive outlook on one's future, is a miracle in itself.

You can't change your spouse, Tinker, but you can change yourself, so don't forget to take care of yourself.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone.  The very best to you, Tinker!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinker

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introduction - want to learn about partners with GAD
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
Thanks MobileChucko.

I've been reading through the site and there is  wealth of information, support. Glad to have found it :).
Bookmark and Share

Tags: