Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: about to cry, my mind telling me it's ALS  (Read 186 times)

Offline Paul77

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
about to cry, my mind telling me it's ALS
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
I can't take it anymore, my right hand has be crampy, sore, stiff and awkward for 2 months now. Every time I speak I can't seem to speak properly, I keep correcting myself.
I can't get over the fact that I have ALS. I can't function at work or home. I've been holding this feeling in but just can't move on,i just can't.
Bookmark and Share
Don't think you can,  know you can...

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: about to cry, my mind telling me it's ALS
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:36:36 AM »
Hello!  What you're describing sounds exactly like a pinched nerve in the shoulder, neck, wrist or back (very common, and als is VERY uncommon, affecting 1-2 people out of 100,000).  The speech issue is anxiety; in other words, if youre terrified of speech issues, you'll be hyper aware of everything you say-- this is bound to cause a missed word.  More importantly, bulbar als patients don't present that way...it's a VERY pronounced hoarseness or slurring that makes you sound drunk and that other people notice, nothing like what you describe.  There are also symptoms (which I will not tell you bc youll start to imagine them) that would appear.    Do you work on a computer?  Many folks who spend much time on the computer at work have your same issue with hand.  If anything, see your doctor about carpal tunnel syndrome.  Finally, I don't know your age but als is practically unheard of in those under 40 with VERY rare exceptions.  I'd wager u have mild carpal tunnel, and your speech is fine. God Bless!
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Paul77

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I'll be 37 in a couple of weeks. My family doctor said it wasn't als, but didn't diagnose me with anything else. She sent me to a psychologist for anxiety, whom actually said I should see the neuro as a follow up because is saw him last year. Why would she even suggest that unless something is wrong?

I've mentioned in another post that my coworkers father who has als was being treated because he had carpel tunnel symptoms.

I just can't seem to put my mind at ease...it's being bombarded with negativity

I am on a computer all day but still have the problem away from the office
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 45
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:32 AM »
I have a question for you. Your doctor gave you the all clear and you said he didn't diagnose you with anything else. Why does it have to be something else? Do you want it to be something serious or anything at all? Why can't it be anxiety disorder and get treatment for that?

One of the things I've noticed on the anxiety boards is that it almost "seems" like the sufferer is disappointed when they're told they're fine. I don't think that's the case but it sure comes off that way a lot of times. When I had chest pains, heart attacks and cancer I would have given anything to be told it was anything BUT that! I would have been like "Whew!.. Ok... how do we treat this?!"

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Paul77

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:30:40 AM »
It doesn't need to be something serious, but I just want to know why my hand feels like sh!t, why do I have these symptoms, am I imagining them, are they caused by anxiety, or how can I relieve it.  I didnt get any such answers.
Yes I'm a stubborn mule that needs to understand everything, I'm sure that doesn't help, but at least some sort of cause our solution would be comforting.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: