Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Help dealing with a new dr in a new city  (Read 107 times)

Offline Courtney09011

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help dealing with a new dr in a new city
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »
In less than a week I have my first doctors appointment In years! It sucks having social anxiety and hypochondria, but I digress. I basically want to know some tips in dealing with a new doctor as a HA? My goal is to get a FULL exam and depending maybe some tests as well. But even though it's obvious I have anxiety issues I want to be taken seriously with some of my concerns the first time through! But I also don't want to rub him the wrong way either. Any tips on some stuff to say, bring, etc? Thanks in advance!!
Bookmark and Share
i understand your anxiety! I've been there and am there right now! Feel free to PM me if you need someone who understands!

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help dealing with a new dr in a new city
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:25:14 AM »
Hi Courtney,

We have the perfect tool here at the Forum, I wish I had these when I was battling this terrible anxiety disorders....

Print these out to your printer, create a folder, take the Self-Tests and share the results with your new doctor.

You will be prepared, professional - and they will take you very seriously!

Make sure to let us know how your doctor visit goes  :action-smiley-065:

SELF-DIAGNOSIS AND SELF-TESTS

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - PANIC DISORDER + SELF-TEST
                                            I have chest pains or a racing heart.  I have a hard time breathing or a choking feeling.
                                            I feel dizzy, or I sweat a lot.  I have stomach problems or feel like I need to throw up.
                                            I shake, tremble, or tingle. I feel out of control. I feel unreal.
                                            I am afraid I am dying or going crazy.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  -  GAD anxiety + SELF-TEST
                                            I never stop worrying about things big and small. I have headaches and other aches and pains for no reason.
                                            I am tense a lot and have trouble relaxing. I have trouble keeping my mind on one thing.
                                            I have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. I sweat and have hot flashes.
                                            I sometimes have a lump in my throat or feel like I need to throw up when I am worried

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHdepwomenknows.pdf - DEPRESSION + SELF-TEST
                                            Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood. Loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex.
                                            Restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness,.
                                            Sleeping too much or too little, early-morning awakening.  Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating / weight gain
                                            Decreased energy, fatigue, feeling "slowed down"
                                            Thoughts of death or taking one's own life. Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions.
                                            Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, - headaches, digestive disorders, chronic pain

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD + SELF-TEST
                                            I have upsetting thoughts or images enter my mind again and again.
                                            I feel like I can’t stop these thoughts or images, even though I want to.
                                            I have a hard time stopping myself from doing things again : counting, checking on things, washing hands.
                                            I am Re-arranging objects, doing things until it feels right, collecting useless objects
                                            I worry a lot about terrible things that could happen if I’m not careful.
                                            I have unwanted urges to hurt someone but know I never would.

HELPFUL ARTICLES AND INFORMATION
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMH317.406_F_TSH_treatable.pdf  - Depression is Treatable
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Courtney09011

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
I've gotten these I was looking for something more specific to health anxiety
Bookmark and Share
i understand your anxiety! I've been there and am there right now! Feel free to PM me if you need someone who understands!

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
In terms of getting a full exam, request a Complete physical exam. I would actually contact the receptionist ahead of the appointment and clarify you want a full physical. Generally, a bigger block of time is scheduled for an annual physical compared to a simple basic "establish care" appointment. That way you have the time set that you'll need and the physician will know what to expect.

Second, I would be up front about your anxiety diagnosis. As you are with any other health problems. The doctor will likely ask you briefly about your health history. Share any other medical conditions you've ACTUALLY been diagnosed with, then add "I've also struggled with health anxiety"

Adding that because you have health anxiety, you want to stay on top of your physical health with a complete physical should sound quite reasonable to your doctor. In terms of testing, I would ask him "what routine blood work typically comes with a physical?" 

In most cases, a comprehensive metabolic panel (electrolytes, blood sugar, kidney and liver enzymes) and a cholesterol panel is ordered. Common but not across-the -board labs include urinalysis, Vitamin D level, or a complete blood count. That can vary by physician preference. If there is anything he finds during the physical that causes additional concern, then they may order additional testing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
I've gotten these I was looking for something more specific to health anxiety

Courtney, I was able to locate this self-test of H.A. - close to where I live....

Would this help?

Hypochondria / Health Anxiety Test

OCD Center Los Angeles
[/b][/u]

Hypochondria / Health Anxiety / Illness Anxiety is an obsessive preoccupation with having a serious illness, disease, or medical condition.

The OCD Center of Los Angeles offers the following brief questionnaire in an effort to help you get a better idea of whether or not you are exhibiting signs of Hypochondria / Health Anxiety / Illness Anxiety.

Simply check or circle those items that apply to you, and email it to us using the simple form below. While this questionnaire is not meant to replace a thorough evaluation, it may help in identifying traits of Hypochondria / Health Anxiety / Illness Anxiety.

1.  I worry more than most people I know about having a serious illness, disease, or medical condition.
 2.  I am very aware of sensations occurring in my body, and notice many aches, pains, and/or other symptoms of what I think may be
        illnesses, diseases, or medical conditions.
 3.  I frequently check my body for signs of illnesses, diseases, or medical conditions.
 4.  I sometimes check others (my spouse, children, parents, and/or friends) for signs of illnesses, diseases, or medical conditions, and/or ask
        them to check themselves.
 5.  I own special equipment for checking my body (i.e. blood pressure cuff).
 6.  I spend time a lot of time talking to friends and family about my health concerns.
 7.  I often ask friends/family to reassure me that I do not have an illness or disease.
 8.  I often ask friends/family to reassure me that they do not have an illness or disease
 9.  I frequently wash or shower in an effort to make sure I do not get an illness or disease.
10. I sometimes ask others to wash, shower, or avoid touching me if I think they have been exposed to an illness.
11. I avoid certain people, places, things, or situations for fear of disease or illness.
12. I spend a lot of time on the internet looking up information about illnesses and diseases.
13. I own medical texts or other health-related books, and/or spend a lot of time researching in books about specific illnesses, diseases, or
        medical conditions.
14. I avoid TV shows, movies, newspaper articles, and/or internet reports with medical themes.
15. I go out of my way to view TV shows, movies, newspaper articles, and/or internet reports with medical themes.
16. I often visit or call doctors because of concerns that I have a serious illness, disease, and/or medical emergency.
17. I usually avoid doctors, even if I am worried that I have a serious illness, disease, and/or medical emergency.
18. I often worry that doctors have not correctly diagnosed me when they are unable to find something wrong with me.
19. I sometimes go to more than one doctor for the same medical concern because I doubt the first doctor’s diagnosis and/or lab results
         (i.e., multiple HIV tests).
20. If I hear about a disease or illness (through the media, or from someone I know), I worry that I have that illness or disease.
21. I am significantly distressed, anxious, and/or depressed about my health concerns.
22. My concerns about my health are interfering with my relationships and/or with my academic or professional functioning.
23. I have visited doctors________   times in the past 12 months due to fears that I have a disease, illness, or medical condition.
24. I spend _________  hours per day obsessing about my health, and/or doing compulsive behaviors specifically related to my health.
25.  The following are the diseases, illnesses, and/or medical conditions that I worry about most frequently:     
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ______________________________
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ______________________________

http://www.ocdla.com/hypochondria-test.html

Let me know if this help  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Courtney09011

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »
Thank you both! You both gave me what I was looking for. Hoping to get some advice frome others as well just to see what has worked for different people :P but thanks so much those are great!
Bookmark and Share