Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Thinking about going on meds for anxiety...  (Read 225 times)

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thinking about going on meds for anxiety...
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
I was diagnosed with anxiety 2 years ago, and I've never been on medication for it, but I'm really thinking about it now. Therapy helped for a little while and sometimes it's not that bad, but I'm under a lot of stress right now and it's back full force, so I think I need something stronger to get me through it. I have no clue where to begin though, can any of you give me advice? My anxiety's primarily GAD, panic disorder/health anxiety, and sometimes OCD tendencies and depression work their way in.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thinking about going on meds for anxiety...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
I can't recommend. I only take xanax as needed, but it does help in a pinch when I'm having a particularly bad day. I can go days without it, and then I'll need it. I would ask your doctor for a recommendation. Everyone is different and you might need to try a few before you decide.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:42:05 AM »
Hi, I mainly had GAD.  I tried buspar for 10 weeks but it did little. 
Then I tried klonopin.  After a few weeks tweaking the dosage -- it's my drug of choice!  I feel
back to normal and the GAD is either gone or in remission.  But everyone is different.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:46:52 AM »
I have no clue where to begin though, can any of you give me advice? My anxiety's primarily GAD, panic disorder/health anxiety, and sometimes OCD tendencies and depression work their way in.

Your first port of call should be your family physician who will assess your current state and then lay out your treatment options which will likely be one of the SSRI antidepressants. None is any better than the rest, though one or two may be for you. As there is no way of predicting which it will be you might as well draw a name of one from a hat and give it a try. However, I would pass on Paxil (paroxetine) or the SNRI Effexor (venlafaxine) as they are the two hardest antidepressants to quit.

Alternatively, Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram), which both contain the same active drug, are the SSRIs with the lowest drop out rate indicating most find their initial side-effects reasonably tolerable so would be a good starting point. I'd pick Celexa because it has a wider dose range than its twin, but this probably doesn't matter in practice. To reduce the severity of any initial side-effects don't start on more than 10mg (or 5mg for Lexapro). Clear it with your doctor first if s/he's prescribed a higher dose...and then find a new doctor. 

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:17:05 AM »
In my experience in using these medications - (10-12+ AD/SSRI/SNRI and all the main BZD - Xanax, Lorazepam, Diazepam and Klonopin for panic disorder and anxiety for over a 20+ year period)

1) I agree 100% with WorldBeat - Klonopin - is the ideal long half-life, that will work throughout the entire day in one dose.  (IME: far superior to Xanax in the long run for tolerance and overall performance and easily tapered discontinuation)

2) I agree 100% with Insights - Celexa or Lexapro at 1/2 the starting dosage to start (IME: the two easiest and most gentle SSRIs I have ever used) - I personally had a better experience with Celexa vs. Lexapro - but that just might be my experience. :yes:

3) Using both of these medication together will quickly halt your anxiety attacks (Klonopin - within hours or days) and this give the SSRI the time 4-12 weeks to start doing its magic.  You get the best of both worlds. 

4)  Of course, before all this - make sure your doctor clears you from any other physical issues that might mimic a panic disorder or anxiety disorder - a thorough physical examination to rule out any other possibilities.

Keep us informed - we are here to support your efforts!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline greenzebra

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
Thank you all for the replies :)

I got into my doctor's office way earlier than I thought, and she prescribed a generic prozac, so I'm really hoping it helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:40:48 PM »
Hi GreenZebra  :action-smiley-065:

I also currently taking Prozac for the last 10+ years with very good results.

At what dosage did your doctor start you out at?

Did your doctor prescribe - a Benzodiazepine  until the Prozac has a chance to  kick in (at 4-12 weeks)?

IME: I  highly recommend "Combination Therapy" to ensure that you will stay on Prozac and also control your anxiety and any additional anxiety Prozac might produce temporarily in the first two weeks, and when increasing the dosage.

A summary of "Combination Therapy" that I have used personally and IME - the best way to ensure success when implementing an SSRI.
My doctor explained to me that "Combination Medication Therapy" would accomplish the following:

1.   My doctor used both an Antidepressant/SSRI and a low dose of Benzodiazepine - which really helped me immensely. :yes:

2.   My doctor explained that the Antidepressants will take up to 4 to 6 weeks  ::) to begin relieving anxiety symptoms and in some people if used alone - it can actually increase anxiety initially during the first few weeks  (as It did with me…) .  Which is one reason I had such a hard time staying on antidepressant.

3.   My doctor, further explained to me that the benzodiazepines are fast acting anxiety blockers (bringing me relief within 30-60 minutes) to stop my Panic Attacks caused by a Panic Disorder, and could also  help shield me from additional anxiety that may initially arise from the SSRI or Antidepressant that I was taking (Prozac) . :happy0151:

You may want to ask your doctor about this, It really made a world of difference for me! 

Here is the complete posting on "Combination Therapy"
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,90732.msg506362.html#msg506362

Also, to reiterate - IME: I agree 100% with WorldBeat - Klonopin - as the best benzodiazepine that I have used,  the ideal long half-life, that will work throughout the entire day in one dose. 

Good Luck, Great Job  :grinning-smiley-003:

Look forward to hearing progress reports  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Hi greenzebra - I'm on Lexapro 10mg + Wellbutin 125mg XL + .5mg Klonopin at night. I have found after 20 years of GAD with a sprinkle of OCD that drugs provide the best possible solution for me.  Everyone is different on which drugs work for them.  I don't have any friends on my particular combo but I do have friends on Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Buspar, Ativan, trazadone or Lexapro.  So everyone is different. Def don't give up, it took me forever to find the right combo for me.

20 years ago when I had my first 'freak out' Klonopin saved my life (literally).  But now I am much happier with the consistency of ADs.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: