Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I hear about it everyday and its driving me mad  (Read 167 times)

Offline aethermaster

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I hear about it everyday and its driving me mad
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:05:05 AM »
The "it" I'm talking about is cancer.

Its almost become a joke now. I feel like the more I try to avoid hearing about it, the more it comes to me. I hear about it on the news, when I'm reading a book in class, in casual conversation. I recently had a major panic attack over the summer, convincing myself I had colon/liver cancer. Since I got back into school, its gotten a little better, but I still hear about it LITERALLY every single day. When I don't look for it either. Its almost scaring me to think these are signs from God or something that I should keep pressing if there's anything wrong with me...

Is there anything I can do? No amount of avoidance seems to work. Even if I lay down and sit in bed all day, I'm sure the word, or a story about cancer will come up. I literally cannot name a day within the past week where I didn't hear or see the word. Its getting annoying and difficult on me and hurting me because I just want ONE day where I dont see it or hear about it but I can't get it unless I live in the woods or something (and still then I'm sure it'll come up somehow).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chloe1990

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I hear about it everyday and its driving me mad
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:57:23 AM »
That's the problem it's always on the television, the radio, newspapers. Everywhere! I turn the channel or leave the room if anything like that comes on telly. But you can't avoid it all the time.
It's the media for you, just a shame they don't think of people with health anxieties when they're putting these things up!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
I once had a dr tell me (when I asked her about all of the media attention, specifically for breast cancer, making it seem as if everyone is destined to get it) - she told me that a lot of that media attention is to bring awareness to the disease since most women don't take care of themselves (see a Dr regularly, get age appropriate med tests, eat right, exercise, etc).  So in a way, they are "scaring" you to take care of yourself.  Her perspective has helped - hope this helps you.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:24:41 AM »
Birds chirp and sing every day. Cars honk their horns. Planes go by over head. There are more beer commercials than cancer commercials. Do you take notice of that? You're HA makes you hyper aware and the OCD tendencies have you hyper focused on cancer. You're looking for it, consciously or not and that's what you're noticing it.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
I know how you feel.  It's like everywhere we go, we can't avoid the news that someone has cancer, or died from it, or here's a new treatment that may be useful someday, etc.  But it's because we're so anxious - no one else is noticing them, or thinking about them beyond "oh, that's too bad for _____."  But everyone else is having the same amount of info thrown at them; it's not just aimed at us.  We're just the ones noticing it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: