Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Im back-now with ALS/MS fears!  (Read 237 times)

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Im back-now with ALS/MS fears!
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:54 PM »
Last week I woke up one morning and my left arm was weak and would not funktion properly, I thought nothing of it and thought I mightss just have slept on it.  It was so weak I could not even lift a glass of water, I even couldn not cross my arms without difficulty.  I had no pain at all, just a feeling of numbness.  This went on for a couple of days and the strenght started coming back but the numbness was still there.  Now, 10 days later, I still have not regained all of my streinght...I can easily cross my arms, lift a glass but I still cant lift heavier things.  I have found out that this only affects one single muscle in my loer arm.  I not feel numb in every limb and get single muscle spasms in my limbs, ecspecially my left arm.  This numbness and spasms are worse during the night and keep me awake.   I have neer been afraid of MS and ALS as cancer has always been my fright.  I hae noticed the ice bucket campain but didnt even know the symptoms until I looked mine up on bloody google!

Now I am freaking out!!!   what else could this be?  Im almost hoping this is MS because then Ill get to live and see my son grow up, but my symptoms fit ALS  better.   Can someone help calm me don and tell me why this is NOT ALS?

Im a 29 year old female....
Bookmark and Share

Offline MysteryCat

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Im back-now with ALS/MS fears!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 12:58:45 AM »
For one thing, at your age ALS is almost entirely unheard of. It's also a good sign that you regained some strength. As far as I'm aware,  once function is lost with ALS, it doesn't return. What you have going on does seem very unpleasant though, and maybe by sleeping ok your arm wrong you pulled something or pinched a nerve. Maybe see your GP to get some relief! Good luck!
Bookmark and Share
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Offline bearsfb66

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Im back-now with ALS/MS fears!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
I will second the pinched nerve response. I did the same thing a few years ago where I woke up and I couldn't even lift my hand to grab my cell phone until the feeling came back to my arm minutes later. Pain, numbness and tingling continued though. I slept on my arm wrong and had a pinched nerve. Please do not put yourself down the ALS fear because it is not fun to recover from. Also from experience with MS it surprises me how many fear it. My grandmother had it for 35 years until she died from an unrelated stroke. I watched her for years upon years and she was able to function and LIVE a great life until she had her stroke. You don't have either though likely pinched nerve and sleeping on the arm wrong. It took me several weeks to recover from my pinched nerve if it bothers you see your doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: