Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Beating the google demon  (Read 132 times)

Offline StrawberryCraze91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Beating the google demon
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
I can't stop googling, today I googled again and found more lymphoma patient stories.  Some of these people said they had symptoms for years before being diagnosed and quite a few said they had normal bloodwork, and that bloodwork is a poor indication.  Others said that all lumps need to be biopsied and that x-rays,ultrasounds and CT scans don't pick up everything.  One woman said the lump in her neck felt about the size of a nickel but was really like a golf ball.

I am worried now I can't stop touching the node in my neck.  I have had sternum pain, armpit pains and allergy/flu like symptoms all summer.

The node sometimes has shooting pain in the area.  Today I exercised and it got smaller/buried itself deeper.  It's strange.

I know I need to stop googling and stop touching it to make it go away, but many of these patients said to trust google.

I am so scared and confused. 
Bookmark and Share
Pslam 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Beating the google demon
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
I was under the impression that lymphoma doesn't hurt.  I fell down that hole on a number of occasions and read many patients' stories, and I don't remember any of them talking about shooting pains or generalized pain.  I could just be having a selective memory right now because I have shooting pains in the node that I'm worried about and trying to make myself feel better... 
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
I'm not touching it for the next 2 weeks and I will see what happens
Overall it has not changed in the last 4 weeks, some days it feels harder but it comes and goes.
The patient stories are really a rabbit hole, especially the "I went to 10 doctors and no one believed me for a year" ones.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »
The thing that stuck out for me on this post was the "people said to trust Google" part.
Really?! I know you haven't been on this site very long, but do you know how many people have "trusted Google", ended up being wrong and in the mean time wasted months or years of their lives worrying and fretting? Or worse, actually making themselves sick from letting Google diagnose them? Mostly everyone on here at one time or another.
If nothing else, DO NOT take this horrible advice!!
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »
I agree with ceh and mollyfin. Do not touch it for a few weeks and then check again. i guarantee it will be smaller or the same. I am doing the same right now and I am on day 4. It is hard..but it will be worth it.

Also, you should know better to look at diagnosed patient forums, and so should I! You just replied to my post as well and I was freaked out by diagnosed people. But with further investigation, the woman's tumor was not even remotely similar at all as it was way tinier (the type of cancer that causes an inverted nipple tends to be small), she is 60 years old and has had cancer before. All high risk while I am not. I have noticed that on cancer forums, people tend to put a lot of info about their aches and pains. But I bet not even all of them are attributed to the disease itself. They're upset they are diagnosed and rightfully so, and they literally just write down all their symptoms. But molly is totally right. I fell down the lymphoma hole (I am only half way up right now anyways) and when I read stories, yes many were scary, but they were not what we are experiencing!! They had clavicle (the one that is actually suspicious) enlarged nodes that are hard as a rock and PAINLESS. Ours are tiny, in our neck, not growing and not rock hard.

I hear mixed things about the blood tests for lymphoma btw. I know a lot of people who have been diagnosed that way as well...even early like stage 1 or 2. So its odd...not sure what to believe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
When I was worried about ALS, I read Als patient stories and a few talked about aches and pains on their big toe. And guess what I had that week? An aching big toe. That was a difficult 2 weeks.

And not to downplay the stories of folks who suffer these awful illnesses, as mheart goes out to them and I wouldn't wish such a sickness on my worst enemy, but some folks do reach to find a point where they should have pinpointed signs of the disease as a play of their own guilt for not knowing they were sick. A lot of stories begin with "I should have known I had this because a year b4 I was diagnosed, I had XYZ symptom."
And we stumble upon it and roll with it and let our HA run wild...
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
I am having a completely irrational moment, even my dad(who is an audiologist and has worked in ENT clinics for 30+ years) said that large swellings in front of the neck and clavicle nodes are the ones to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: