Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS fears  (Read 177 times)

Offline n8634

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS fears
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
Hello everyone. I've been have some serious issues over the last two months dealing with ALS fears. I have localized twitching and pain in my lower right leg and foot along with what I believe is weakness and atrophy. My ankle, knee and foot are skinnier in the affected leg. I also cant bend down on that leg without it shaking and feeling tired. I saw a neurologist last week and she did a clinical exam that she considered "normal" but ordered an EMG and NCV next week just to be safe. I've suffered from anxiety for several years now since 22, but never have I been so terrified. Its taking over my life and causing me to stop doing all things I enjoy. Has anyone had similar problems?
Bookmark and Share

Online LadyH

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS fears
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »
Hello!
You are describing almost exactly what I am experiencing, except for me it is my left thigh-

Localized twitching, perceived weakness & stiffness, what I believe to be atrophy (Skinnier, muscle dents etc). Less flexibility with this leg & longer recovery time after exercise.
I've only seen a GP who did a neuro exam and told me it was totally normal, no referrals. This was a month ago and I'm still in as much of a panic as I ever was & can't shake it.

I don't have too much advice, as I'm a bit of a mess myself at the moment- but our problems seemed to similar for me not to reach out :)
Hx
Bookmark and Share

Offline n8634

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
Thank you LadyH. I'm glad but sorry you understand what I''m going through. I really hope you get better and your worries are eased.
Bookmark and Share

Online LadyH

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
I hope that you do too :)
There are some great people on these forums that can offer great advice & some tough love when needed,
You came to the right place :)
Hx
Bookmark and Share

Offline Robi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
I went through this fear about 8 years ago.  Had tons of twitching in my legs and numbness in my big toe. My EMG and NCV came back normal. I still have the numbness after all these years which I have accepted as just some random nerve damage. I feel like the twitching was anxiety related and got worse the more I thought about it- I also get eyelid twitching when I am very anxious. If you have a normal EMG and NCV, you can be sure you do not have ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline n8634

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »
I'm really freaking out today. Having a full blown panic attack. Woke up and still feel weak. My leg never stops twitching and hurting. The waiting is driving me crazy...I'm so certain I have ALS. Please someone help me with this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: