Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anti seizure drugs off label use  (Read 168 times)

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anti seizure drugs off label use
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
I am still running in circles. I was chewing on taking gabapentin, so I talked with the pdr yesterday and she said it was a good medicine not addictive. worked well for some. she gave me a low dose prescription and said it would help my sleep. Later in the day I got an email from a Dr. that goes the natural route and in the email he mentioned the drug Dilantin . he called it a remarkable drug in fact there is a book written by some one who this drug helped with severe depression back in the 60s. they say it can help ocd and anxiety and a lot of other aliments.

so Ian what is the difference in Dilantin and gabapentin? Have you heard anything about Dilantin? I wish I had thought of this and would have asked Dr for Dilantin. I just want something to help with sleep and weak spells I can't seem to get rid of.  if Dilantin worked well maybe could get off anti depressant. there is a website and they had some references on this drug. I know Ian you do a lot of research and wondered if you have heard of this. also my lovely MD Dr that doesn't like klonopin doesn't like Gabapentin either. I told her that the pdr said that it was safe .she said it wasn't that it worked on the same receptor in the brain as alcohol and  you can over dose on it. like I would, as I am afraid of all medicine. but in the end she said I should try it as I wouldn't be one to abuse it. that it would be good for sleep. and as an after thought I am going to be looking for another DR.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: anti seizure drugs off label use
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »
Later in the day I got an email from a Dr. that goes the natural route and in the email he mentioned the drug Dilantin

He "goes the natural route" yet recommends Dilantin? What is natural about Dilantin?

Have you heard anything about Dilantin?

It is one of the oldest anti seizure meds which has been in use since before WW2, well before the BZDs became available.

what is the difference in Dilantin and gabapentin?

Dilantin (phenytoin) slows cell firing by inhibiting the influx of positively charged sodium ions, gabapentin does the same thing by inhibiting the influx of calcium ions (among other things).

Dilantin has a far worse ongoing side-effects profile, causing neurological problems, including atrophy of the cerebellum in the brain with prolonged use which affects motor control, may predispose to megaloblastic anemia so it is important to maintain folic acid levels, can cause a number of skin conditions and may trigger autoimmune disorders such as lupus and Stevens–Johnson syndrome.

I also suggest you give it a miss if you have presidential ambitions. Nixon was supposedly taking it illicitly and look what happened to him! :winking0008: His supplier was Jack Dreyfus who wrote the book your 'natural route' doctor mentioned.

my lovely MD Dr that doesn't like klonopin doesn't like Gabapentin either. I told her that the pdr said that it was safe .she said it wasn't that it worked on the same receptor in the brain as alcohol and  you can over dose on it.

She is apparently clueless. I suggest you find a new PCP. Seriously!

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
so you are saying gabapentin does the same thing as Dilantin but in a different way? Dilantin has some serious sideffects. which the dr I spoke of said it was safe and yes it was jack that wrote the book. it supposedly cured him of bad depression. they say it has a lot of off label uses. and yes I am not too happy with my dr. I will be looking for another.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
so you are saying gabapentin does the same thing as Dilantin but in a different way?

Yes, it targets a different ion channel. BZDs accomplish the same thing by increasing the influx of negatively charged ions into cells.

Dilantin has some serious sideffects. which the dr I spoke of said it was safe

But I wonder whether he'd take it in preference to gabapentin. I doubt it.

and yes it was jack that wrote the book. it supposedly cured him of bad depression.

People claim to get cured by all sorts of things. Amazon has thousands of book extolling the virtues of one or another cure for it (and anxiety disorders) and most of them work in about a third of those that try them for a while thanks to natural waxing and waning and the power of the placebo effect.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:10:17 AM »
so does gabapentin not have any serious sideffects? I still havent' decided to take it or not. do you need to take it everyday? do people still take it for seizures?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
so does gabapentin not have any serious sideffects? I still havent' decided to take it or not. do you need to take it everyday? do people still take it for seizures?

It is fairly benign, especially compared to Dilantin. Yes, it is still commonly prescribed for epilepsy, though pregabalin (Lyrica) is now the preferred option when cost isn't a factor. It must be taken daily.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: