Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Help during wait for bloodtest (nosebleeds, etc.)...  (Read 135 times)

Offline thason1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help during wait for bloodtest (nosebleeds, etc.)...
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:10:06 AM »
Been awhile since I've posted here, and I hate coming for help when I haven't helped others who I'm sure needed it, but I just need to be heard by those who know this struggle. I'm going to type up an essay, I'm sure, but I hope someone will hear me out regardless of the length.

I recently got a bad nosebleed, and it took a good ten minutes for it to stop. I've noticed I get nosebleeds occasionally, especially after I drink too much the night before (a friend said it had something to do with blood thinning when you drink, but I don't know). After that ten minute nosebleed, for about three days, the nosebleed would return on accident when I'd hit the nose, on the same side. I went into a steam room and it started again, too. Also noticed I was spitting up some blood in my phlegm. This was worrying, but I figured it was just spit that had got into my throat from the nosebleeds.

Well, a few days after the nosebleeds ended I was still spitting up blood in my phlegm in the morning. I've always had sinus issues, and I believe I've found blood in my phlegm before, but not every morning this consistently.  This time around, it's always one or two spits, a nice sized glob of blood, and then it's gone for the rest of the day. Now add in the fact that I had a big bruise on my arm from playing basketball that didn't seem to go away, and you can see how my fears could begin mounting (leukemia, etc.)

I first paid 20 bucks to an online doctor (healthcare magic, I believe) because I had to wait for some time for an appt. with a new doctor I had decided to start going to. The doctor online was an ENT , and he said it didn't sound serious at all, was merely dry membranes in my nose, and sinus issues (I told him I'd recently had a pressure on my head when I slept, the side that wasn't on the pillow, which had been happening for a few days). 

Anyway -- my new doctor called in and got me in today because a spot opened. He looked at the picture of the bloody phlegm and seemed concerned, although didn't say as much, and maybe I was projecting. He asked me if I bruised easily, and I wanted to show him the bruise on my arm, but it had been two weeks or so since it appeared and it had disappeared since. He said he didn't think anything was wrong, but that he still wanted a preliminary blood test to rule everything out, and that he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he just skipped over the possibility of something being wrong on that front, having me as a new patient and whatnot.

The way I see it now is that I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my blood. The test is tomorrow, and I just can't settle down. I don't know what to do. I feel healthy -- was on the treadmill for 45 minutes yesterday, eating fairly well -- but this blood business is just wrecking me. Part of me thinks that if it was serious I'd be bleeding all the time, spitting up blood at various points in the day, bruising all over, and very sick, but then I flip it and just think it must be super early in the sickness and that it's still cancer or something equally bad -- or that I'm one of those seemingly very healthy people who finds out they're dying all of a sudden. I don't know what to think. The whole things weighing on me. Any advice, or thoughts would be very appreciated on this end. I'm just obsessing over here -- feels like tomorrow when I take the test is my doomsday...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help during wait for bloodtest (nosebleeds, etc.)...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:17:43 AM »
I know that's the way you see it but that doesn't mean it's the way things actually are.  If the nosebleed is often triggered by trauma and only coming out of one side it's probably not related to a blood disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thason1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:22:53 AM »
I know that's the way you see it but that doesn't mean it's the way things actually are.  If the nosebleed is often triggered by trauma and only coming out of one side it's probably not related to a blood disorder.

Thanks mollyin - that alone was reassuring.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 24
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »
"I've noticed I get nosebleeds occasionally, especially after I drink too much the night before"....

Did you tell your doctor this? To me, that's an explanation and the solution would be simple.... ;)  Anxiety and alcohol don't mix, especially with meds.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: