Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: neck tension~can it be dangerous?  (Read 121 times)

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
neck tension~can it be dangerous?
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:46:46 AM »
A little over a month ago, I did a weight exercise that ended with me hearing a little "pop" in my neck.  After that, when I would turn my head, the majority of the time I'd hear that same little "pop".  My neck was sore as well and I was having headaches.  I went to the chiropractor and he fixed me up.  Since then, I started having trouble with my sciatic nerve (bulging disc in lumbar region).  I was seeing the chiropractor for that as well.  Then I decided I should probably see an actual spine doctor just so they know what is going on.  She told me that when I have the tingling with sciatica, I should not go to the chiropractor because manipulation could make things worse, so I stopped going.  That was about 2 weeks ago.  Since then, my neck has started bothering me again. The left side is extremely tensed up with just the slightest amount of pain on occasion.  Plus I have slight arm/finger tingling.  But what I'm really worried about is the tenseness.  This may sound like a silly question to some, but please answer anyways.  Can it get so tense that it can cause some type of serious damage to me?  I hate that it's a muscle that's so close to my head/brain area.  I'm terrified something is going to happen.  I've got a call in to my doctor asking if I can go back to the chiropractor, but she is out until tomorrow so I have to just wait for a response. 
I haven't been able to sleep at night very well in a few days.  I don't know if it's from my neck directly, or if it's just from all the built up anxiety that runs through my mind all day long, and my body doesn't relax at night. 
any answers about this would be greatly appreciated. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline thason1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: neck tension~can it be dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:18:37 AM »
I recently struggled with neck pain -- woke up one morning recently with the whole side of my neck having this burning sensation, scared the heck out of me for awhile there -- so I know your struggle, albeit on a far smaller scale. Honestly sounds like you know the root of the issue, and there's absolutely no reason to believe this tension is all of a sudden going to overtake you and cause some serious damage at the drop of a hat. If anything, it sounds like you're taking all the necessary steps to FIX the issue (going to doctor, etc.) Also, as you probably know, the neck is always a go-to region for accumulated stress, and that can't be helping your situation at all (nor your obsessing over the injury).

All of this aside, although I'm no doctor, it doesn't seem like you have any reason to be "terrified." Upset that you neck was messed up by exercising? Sure! But terrified? Certainly not. Your neck injury will not lead to some head injury, or anything of the sort. Take some ibuprofen, try to relax, and talk to your doc tomorrow. Neck's can be pesky, but I'm sure you'll be better in no time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: neck tension~can it be dangerous?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »
Thank you for replying!  I agree, I'm sure I'm making it worse by stressing out about it.  This exercise ordeal happened a little over a month ago, so I guess I'm also freaked that it's still going on.  The adjustments were helping, but I don't necessarily want to get my neck adjusted all the time, because I've heard that's not good.  Such a vicious cycle. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: