Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lymph node questions  (Read 125 times)

Offline StrawberryCraze91

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymph node questions
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:01:37 AM »
Ok so my lymphoma fears are still going strong.  It seems like I have been sick all summer.  I also have a pea sized node in my neck that does not move much.  I originally found it because it had shooting pains in the area.  I found it about a month ago.  I can't stop touching it.

Most days I have really bad post nasal drip, a sore throat and/or sneezing.  I was sick for two weeks in July(coughing up yellow phlegm, sneezing, runny nose, itchy dry eyes on and off fever of about 99).

I am tempted to go back to the doctor(I saw them in mid July for sternum and armpit pain, they refused to give me a chest x-ray, another CBC and an ultrasound).

I had a CBC done in late may, so I am thinking it's not valid anymore.  I am really worried, my mom felt the node and said it's nothing(she is a nurse so she has seen a lot of enlarged nodes).

I just can't trust the doctor or anyone anymore. 
Bookmark and Share
Pslam 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Isaiah 54:17
"No weapon that is formed against you will prosper"

Peter 5:7
"casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

Offline secretgnome

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymph node questions
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:51 AM »
I have literally the exact same symptoms as you. I have been sick for what feels like a year. Post-nasal drip, sinus pressure, coughing up phlegm. This lymph node on the left side of my neck has been swollen, and sore, for the entirety of this time. My neck muscles usually feel a bit stiff there as well. I also have pain and a sort of pressure in my left clavicle/shoulder region. The doctor seems to think I'm fine based on blood tests. We're probably both okay, but I understand how you feel, and I too fear that I have lymphoma, a mass in my chest, or something else causing all of this. That something else might be anxiety though. I've felt this way previously, two years ago, when I first encountered anxiety. I thought similar thoughts and had similar symptoms, but I alleviated my anxiety for a while and both went away. It's come back for a brief stay, and I'm noticing the symptoms and thoughts return. A definite correlation there.

I think what we both need to understand is that lymphoma, and other malignancies, present themselves in certain ways. They are rare to begin with, and when they present, a doctor will typically know. It is very rare that something as serious as lymphoma or other cancers will go completely unnoticed for such a length of time. It can happen, but I think typically those cases do not involve a hypochondriac getting a checkup with blood work every six months. Just ask your mom how much blood work can really tell doctors. (Hint: It's a lot).

Again, I understand how you feel, completely. I'm one hundred percent with you. But we're both going to be okay. Trust others. Trust your body to let you know if something really bad is happening. It doesn't want to die just as much as your mind doesn't.

Positive thoughts. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:19:46 AM »
Why do you feel like you can't trust the doctor?
Bookmark and Share

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:28:36 AM »
I googled a bunch of stories where people were told they were just fine only to have an x-ray or test show something wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
Well, doctors aren't gods.  They do make mistakes.  But it's not a common occurrence either.  Of course it's going to seem like a higher percentage of incidences than it really is, because people don't usually post online about being totally healthy and getting an appropriate all-clear from their doctors.

And even if you think you can't trust doctors, surely you can trust your own mother!
Bookmark and Share

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:40 AM »
 :action-smiley-065: Welcome to the forum secretgnome!

Thanks for the reassurance,  it's that the symptoms are real and it sucks.  I am convinced something is wrong but I keep telling myself I would be pretty darn sick.  The cough went away without antibiotics, and the sore throat comes and goes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: