Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My memories are fragmented  (Read 84 times)

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My memories are fragmented
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
I don't know what to do...

I have had never had a good memory, but lately i feel like it's getting worse.

Looking back on things, even things that happened earlier in the day, or even 5 minutes ago - I feel like my memories are fragmentary and that there's nothing concrete there.  That I wasn't actually PRESENT or physically or emotionally present in any of them.

I don't remember most of my childhood, it's like it never happened.

Eg, if i see a picture of somewhere I have travelled to recently (Eiffel tower, Tower of London etc), I get a flash of fear, because intellectually I KNOW I've been there, but from seeing the picture, it is very hard for me to put myself in the situation that i have physically been there and was present at that place. There is rarely an emotional connection for me and the memories are patchy and seem incomplete.

I am 27 and am afraid to talk to my GP about it. I know that I am an anxious person and that anxiety can affect a person's memory, but it feels so strange to know i was somewhere or doing something, but to be mostly unable to join the dots to feel that emotional connection that yes, i was physically there or did that thing. 

That can't be normal can it? Does anyone else experience this? Could this be anxiety?

I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday for a check up, but I don't know how to bring this up with her.

I don't know if I'm making any sense... but I'm starting to get worried that there is something physically wrong with my brain that is preventing me from forming proper memories and keeping track of what's happening to me.

Can someone please help me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lalaland

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My memories are fragmented
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
No one else experiences something like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Re: My memories are fragmented
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
I know anxiety/panic can take a serious temporary toll on your memory (as long as your anxiety is heightened your memory will pretty much be crap), the more you get your anxiety under control the better memory you will have again and you will slowly see improvements.

I know that my mother was extremely worried for me for a couple months because she told me that she had never seen my memory deteriorate so bad, especially from someone who had a good memory to someone who couldn't remember a conversation that she had earlier in the day. I know stress wrecks havoc on your memory and it sucks because it honestly at times makes you feel so "out of it" and strange.

I would still suggest mentioning it to your GP because it's always nice to have a second opinion on things but from personal experience I can attest that anxiety definitely contributes to memory problems!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Tags: