Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Zyprexa, trying to come off the stuff  (Read 162 times)

Offline paddyc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zyprexa, trying to come off the stuff
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:36 PM »
Does anyone have any advice about coming off Zyprexa? I'm been on these sort of drugs for years and they don't seem to help me in the slightest. I was on clozaril for for years and it did nothing. I asked the doctors to come off it. They wouldn't allow me to go on no drugs at all so for the last 3 years i've been on zyprexa. 4 months ago i dropped from 10mg at night to 5mg at night and one month ago i dropped o 2.5 mg.  I find it hard to sleep and don't think i've had a dream in months. I find concentrating very difficult and have serious anxiety attacks. I don't know how long i should stay at 2.5mg and what about after that? Should i just stop? or should i break the tablets in half for another few months? my doctor won't here of me stopping medication so he is of little help. I've spent a lot of time on the internet researching my condition and i know i'm not a schizophrenic which is the diagnosis the doctors have been trying to push on me. I would like to know how long it takes the brain to adjust to lower dose. Zyprexa's half life is 30 hours. Does it take a month to adjust or 6 or a year? I know to do it slowly. Has anyone successfully come off these things? Is there anyone out there who was on very strong medication and now completely off all drugs? I hope i haven't fallen into a medication trap.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zyprexa, trying to come off the stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:36:45 AM »
I've spent a lot of time on the internet researching my condition and i know i'm not a schizophrenic which is the diagnosis the doctors have been trying to push on me.

Nevertheless I strong urge you to get a second opinion before you stop taking the Zyprexa. Dr Google is not necessarily a reliable diagnostician. You may or may not have schizophrenia, but almost all those that do believe they don't. What, if any, problems do you think you have?

for the last 3 years i've been on zyprexa. 4 months ago i dropped from 10mg at night to 5mg at night and one month ago i dropped o 2.5 mg.  I find it hard to sleep and don't think i've had a dream in months. I find concentrating very difficult and have serious anxiety attacks.

Zyprexa is a very effective sleeping pill. You insomnia may be a rebound effect, but it could also just be normal insomnia perhaps exacerbated by anxiety.

I would like to know how long it takes the brain to adjust to lower dose. Zyprexa's half life is 30 hours. Does it take a month to adjust or 6 or a year

It will take about a week for plasma levels to stabilize and maybe another week for the brain to adjust to the new dose.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline paddyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply. I suffer from a social phobias and an anxiety disorder. The problem is when i cut down on zyprexa a get extremely anxious. I've read that when one comes off drugs like this it can make even a person with a completely healthy brain have a psychotic episode in withdrawal. The doctors tell me very little about the drugs i'm on, how long i will be one them, the procedure for coming off them and what to expect. I've been seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist privately for several months and she agrees that the diagnoses of schizophrenia is completely incorrect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
I suffer from a social phobias and an anxiety disorder.

Have you ever been prescribed antidepressants, and if so did they work?

The problem is when i cut down on zyprexa a get extremely anxious.

That may be partially withdrawal, but also probably partially a return of the underlying anxiety disorder and the stress of stopping the drug.

I've read that when one comes off drugs like this it can make even a person with a completely healthy brain have a psychotic episode in withdrawal.

It can happen, however, it usually only occurs with sudden discontinuation.

The doctors tell me very little about the drugs i'm on, how long i will be one them, the procedure for coming off them and what to expect.

Not sure what the laws are in Ireland, but in most countries doctors are required by law to explain all these things in detail when asked by the patient. How difficult is it to change doctors?

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline paddyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Hi Ian,
I have been given antidepressants in the passed. SSRIs. They didn't really do anything for me. I might have mental problems that are resilient to medications. I will ask to change doctors but the doctor i go to is provided by the state so it might be difficult to change unless i have to pay to go private.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
I have been given antidepressants in the passed. SSRIs. They didn't really do anything for me.

They are not the only antidepressants. The SNRI Cymbalta (duloxetine) or one of he older tricyclic antidepressants such as desipramine would be worth trying.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline paddyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
Great thanks, I'll ask about them and see what they say.
Paddy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: