Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Increase in Prozac and Wellbutrin & Alcohol Questions  (Read 89 times)

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Increase in Prozac and Wellbutrin & Alcohol Questions
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
So today I saw my Psychiatrist. I feel that I have been going in the right direction overall, as my anxiety is diminishing, but it is still present and it flares up from time to time, but not nearly as bad as it used to be. Cognitive function has slightly improved overall, but not enough.

Anyway, I asked him about a slight increase to the Prozac to even it out at 50mg. Last time I went from 40 to 45 to 50 over the course of a week or so I got dizzy and the muscle spasms came on (I still have them, but not as frequently). Would the 5mg make that big of a difference?

I am also on the Wellbutrin as of a month today ***** 100mg. I abstained from drinking since the first week after that one night where I drank too much. To my knowledge, I have no reasons as to why I would have a seizure, nor have I ever had a seizure. However, on Sunday night I went out to a BBQ. My fiance and I were there for 5-6 hours. The first hour or so I didn't drink anything. Thereafter I decided to sip on a Bud Light can for awhile. It was literally over an hour, because it got warm and had that taste where it is not as fresh. I felt OK.

Later in the night we played some lighter drinking games where you don't chug full beers like that night from weeks upon ago... Which was bad news. Anyway, I felt fine during these games that spanned over an hour. I guess I drank like a beer or so in total from that. Even afterwards I felt fine and the next morning I felt alright. I also primarily ask because I have a wedding this Friday and wanted to see if a drink or two would be OK. I asked my Psych and he said in good conscience he can't condone drinking, but that people can generally tolerate a couple of drinks. And no, I won't be driving.

Also, earlier before the BBQ I took a half of a .25mg of Xanax about 6-7 hours before drinking, just to get my foot in the door in the social event without having anxiety, if that even matters. Just wanted to include that.

So:
1.) Prozac, is the 5mg increase going to really do much of anything?
2.) Is drinking lightly at this point in time generally tolerable? I'll be seeing family that I haven't seen in awhile. I'd sip on it for quite awhile, like the beer from this past weekend. Well, I'll drink that and water. And I won't be driving.

Cheers!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increase in Prozac and Wellbutrin & Alcohol Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »
Prozac, is the 5mg increase going to really do much of anything?

I doubt it.

Is drinking lightly at this point in time generally tolerable?

Maybe. It all depends on your individual biology.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »
Well, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks Ian, I hope all is well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:20:44 AM »
I hope all is well.

Oh, about the same as usual, overworked and underpaid. This retirement caper is harder than working!  :dazed:

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: