Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Music constantly in head  (Read 211 times)

Offline jiffnonbiffnon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Music constantly in head
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »
I developed anxiety around two months ago and my symptoms seem to shift quite regularly. I'm quite a hypochondriac and initially I was worried about physical illnesses (various cancers, autoimmune diseases etc) but in the last two or so weeks my anxiety has begun to focus on the possibility of developing various mental disorders (schizophrenia, bipolar).

I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid and I've always had various songs/ear worms stuck in my head, but since beginning to worry about my mental health I've become conscious of this and now have songs streaming through my head 24/7, with many being triggered INSTANTLY by reading or hearing a word related to the song in question (e.g someone might say "owe you" on television and a familiar song called "I Owe You This" immediately kicks off in my head). Anxiety has also made me a light sleeper and I'm now hearing songs in my half asleep phase as I wake!

Naturally this is extremely distressing and is causing me a great deal of worry. Am I alone or does anybody else experience these bizarre, obsessive symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Music constantly in head
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:04:37 AM »
I have the same issue, but it doesn't cause me any distress at all. Usually its just video game music, or several different songs that are similar smashed together.

Also... I tried to resist. I really did. And I apologize in advance for what I'm about to do, but I don't know when i'll get another chance to do so.

baby beluga
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
I have the same issue.  I almost always have some tune stuck in my head.  It is usually just one refrain over and over, not the whole song.  Most of the time it doesn't bother me, though sometimes it does drive me nuts.  This is usually when I am stressed over something else.  Most of the time it is kind of like background noise in my head.  If I don't focus on it, it is ok.  If I focus on it, it can get annoying.
Bookmark and Share
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Offline jazzblu

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
Scientist did a study saying if you do a puzzle or do sudoko that it will get any song out of your head,
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyD3an

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Overthinking is an ailment. Get rid of it.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
Well, the solution depends on what you want to do with it? You've to decide whether you want to continue listening to music "24/7"or are willing to control. frankly telling, i am(actually now was!) a music geek too. i used to listen songs continuously(like dubstep and anything and obviously a bit loud) that my ear started paining badly and my doctor warned me that if i don't stop this, my listening skills might get damaged. So means it didn't end well. it was something about me. However, what you can do is limit the amount of time you listen to music. say 1 hour a day or so. also if you can't control then it is a good option to set sleep timers to an hour or so(even though you are not going to sleep but it might help) to remind you that that is it for the day. You have time to save yourself. Do it. or else ears are very sensitive in these things. Not only anxiety but also it can get hurt. Other than that, here is a good trick i found out. Listen to non-vocal songs. i.e. sound-tracks or else try Two Steps From Hell etc. this way you will get the music and vocals wont stick in your mind.
Bookmark and Share
Even if i can't be helpful to someone, i will never ever harm anyone.

Offline Pink Cat

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
I get all sorts of thing's stuck in my head, and so does my boyfriend (and everyone else that I know).  :)  He was singing a song we heard under his breath for like a week.  lol  I get songs stuck in my head for like a month some times.  :P  I just enjoy what I get stuck in my head 'cause usually I like it if it's good enough to get stuck in my head.  Unless its a depressing song, then I try and not sing it 'cause I don't want it to bring me down.  The only time things getting stuck in my head was bad for me was if I got a negative song stuck in my head when I woke up, when I was still groggy (which was always 'cause I couldn't sleep), it would put me in a really bad/freaked out mood.  It was AWESOME when I'd get a happy song stuck in my head though; then, I'd feel all relaxed and safe when I was super tired just because it was creating positive thoughts.  I think its pretty normal to get something like this; I don't think you have to worry.  You're okay.  :)  If you get songs that upset you in your head maybe play something nice while you sleep so when you wake up you can hear that first and not give your brain time to revert to whatever song or peice of a song it's been in love with.  lol
Bookmark and Share
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and spiders.

Tags: anxiety GAD OCD