Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies/Bat Fear  (Read 102 times)

Offline Robi

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies/Bat Fear
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
I just need someone to tell me I'm being irrational  :happy0151: We were at the park the other night beginning around dusk. The kids were playing and someone commented on the bats flying around- maybe one or 2. They were just doing their bat thing...catching bugs I suppose. It made me realize that I've actually seen them around quite a bit on evening walks, just thought they were birds, but no, apparently when you see birds after dusk, they are usually bats.  My friend lives in that neighborhood and said they have tons of them. I mentioned I had seen bats to my kids and they said, oh cool, wish I'd seen them. All was good. The next day my daughter showed me a small puncture (single) on her thumb.  Just as a, "wonder how I got that." This triggered my anxiety. Now, I know it's a million times more likely that she scraped or poked herself on the playground during those 2 hours rather than a bat biting her, but just need some reassurance.  She didn't see any bats and is the kind that freaks out over moths, so surely she would have noticed if one was that close.  She was playing with a group of 3 or 4 other kids the whole time.

There was a time a couple of years ago when she had 2 little fang like marks around bedtime in that same area and I freaked out for a couple of days, and then rationalized that a bat couldn't just sneak in the house and bite her while she was awake. She was of course, fine. But now, having seen the bats outside...I'm freaking.  I definitely haven't told her my fears- she is very anxious like me. Of course when I googled, I pulled up an article about 2 rabid bats in that part of town- dated 2004. (They were found grounded during the day)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies/Bat Fear
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:28:31 AM »
It is just your anxious mind. Even a kid would see or hear something if they were bitten. Bit impossible for it to happen and the person not to notice. Just put a bit of cream on it. Could be any kind of bite. This time of year fleas of all things can snap at us. First thing we notice of a flea bit is an itch. Certainly wasn't a bat. You have been here before with the same fear. It was nothing then. So hope you learned from that. This is just your mind thinking the worst.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »
You need to let go of this fear.  Your daughter would have noticed if a bat bit her.  She wouldn't be thinking- gee I wonder where this mark came from.  It sounds like you know this is an irrational fear.  That is the problem with anxiety disorders.  Even when we know the worry isn't rationale, we have a hard time letting go of the thought causing the anxiety.  My advice -since you know deep down that this fear is irrational, stop trying to rationally convince yourself that a bat didn't bite your daughter.  I know for me that I can almost never talk/think myself out of my feelings of fear.  I can always come up with some way that the thing I fear could be true.  When I am having an irrational fear now, I try to just keep telling myself that my brain is just confused and keeps sending me alarm signals by accident and that is ok for me to ignore those alarm bells.   It isn't easy, but it really has helped me.  I hope you can find some technique that works for you.
Bookmark and Share
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Offline Robi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
That is really good advice. Thank you! You are so right...rationalizing doesn't help at all, because like you said, I can keep finding ways it could have happened.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: