Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ekg useless now I'm seriously affraif. HELP!!  (Read 290 times)

Offline jimmy7777

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
ekg useless now I'm seriously affraif. HELP!!
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »
I was just told that my shortness of breath could be due to something wrong with my heart. I was told that the ekg's I've had done are useless because they can only show very few abnormalities. Now I am beyond freaking out because I really do think that I have something seriously wrong with my heart and that I could die at any minute. I just don't know what to do. I can't hold on much longer. I'm seriously about to have a break down. I'm thinking about going to the er for the 6th time in the last 3 weeks.
Bookmark and Share
There is nothing we can do with suffering
except suffer it. "C.S Lewis"

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ekg useless now I'm seriously affraif. HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »
Why It Is Done
An electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) is done to:

Check the heart's electrical activity.
Find the cause of unexplained chest pain, which could be caused by a heart attack, inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart (pericarditis), or angina.
Find the cause of symptoms of heart disease, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, fainting, or rapid, irregular heartbeats (palpitations).
Find out if the walls of the heart chambers are too thick (hypertrophied).
Check how well medicines are working and whether they are causing side effects that affect the heart.
Check how well mechanical devices that are implanted in the heart, such as pacemakers, are working to control a normal heartbeat.
Check the health of the heart when other diseases or conditions are present, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cigarette smoking, diabetes, or a family history of early heart disease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It looks like it does a lot to me Jimmy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimmy7777

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
I haven't even been eating much because it seems to make it harder to breath.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimmy7777

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:25:23 PM »
I'm gonna be transparent here. Why? I geuss because I have nobody at all to talk to and I feel I just need to release some things thathave been building on me. So here goes.

This year has been one of the worse years of my life and let me tell you I've had some bad years. First off back in March the closes person to me completely betrayed me and tore out my heart. Then I lost work.all my utilities got disconnected. I lost my home and now I'm half staying with somebody and half sleeping in my car. That along with all the health problems  I've been having that just keeps on getting worse I'm seriously about to have a complete break down.I literally can't go on 
I am a Christian and even with my faith I am anout to break.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »
I was just told that my shortness of breath could be due to something wrong with my heart. I was told that the ekg's I've had done are useless because they can only show very few abnormalities. Now I am beyond freaking out because I really do think that I have something seriously wrong with my heart and that I could die at any minute. I just don't know what to do. I can't hold on much longer. I'm seriously about to have a break down. I'm thinking about going to the er for the 6th time in the last 3 weeks.

Hi Jimmy!

Who told you this?

I too have had an EKG done. I too also had your panic where I felt and EKG was not an accurate test and was absolutely useless.  I did however do alot of research into EKGs and while they are not perfect they are useful and that is why they are used. I dont know if you are aware, but the heart is a muscle that, in very simple terms, is controlled by an electrical charge. The charge travels across the muscle telling the heart to contract and thus pump blood. An EKG essentially tests the journey of this current across the heart. Again all very basic. But here is the important part. An EKG is absolutely utterly useless at telling a Doctor or Cardiologist what is wrong with a heart. It is however quite excellent at telling if something is wrong. This would mean they would do further tests to find out what it could be.

Doctors dont mess around with heart issues, if they suspected anything at all you would not be released.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline jimmy7777

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »

Hi Jimmy!

Who told you this?

I too have had an EKG done. I too also had your panic where I felt and EKG was not an accurate test and was absolutely useless.  I did however do alot of research into EKGs and while they are not perfect they are useful and that is why they are used. I dont know if you are aware, but the heart is a muscle that, in very simple terms, is controlled by an electrical charge. The charge travels across the muscle telling the heart to contract and thus pump blood. An EKG essentially tests the journey of this current across the heart. Again all very basic. But here is the important part. An EKG is absolutely utterly useless at telling a Doctor or Cardiologist what is wrong with a heart. It is however quite excellent at telling if something is wrong. This would mean they would do further tests to find out what it could be.

Doctors dont mess around with heart issues, if they suspected anything at all you would not be released.

Thanks, this does bring me more comfort.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
I am very sorry you have been through so much. All of that stress could make you feel this way. I hope you feel better soon and your luck improves.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
Much can be told from a good history, medical exam, and an EKG.  For example, if you do not have significant lower extremity edema, no sounds of infiltrate or effusion on lung auscultation, heart rate is regular without murmur and you have a normal EKG...there is a solid likelihood that your heart is ok.  Couple that with a normal chest x-ray where it doesn't show infiltrate or cardiomegaly then you have ruled out many cardiac related disease.  If you have a normal BNP from your blood work coupled with that...you do not have heart failure.  These are basics docs will do when presented with a patient with shortness of breath.  At that point the only thing you can really look at are the vessels of the heart.  And while blockages can certainly cause shortness of breath the history usually points you in that direction.  Your history would be atypical for cardiac related shortness of breath if all of that is normal.  And I must assume it is considering your diagnosis asthma exacerbation that you are struggling to accept.

For a minute I want you to put down your paranoia...just for a second...it's waiting for you if you want it back.  Think logically.  You admit to horrific stressors and a history of asthma.  Is it just possible that you have anxiety and asthma related shortness of breath?  I mean that is a logical conclusion...the most likely conclusion.  But, your mind won't allow you to accept that because you have constant adrenaline pouring into your bloodstream telling you to look for a threat.  Treat the asthma appropriately...do what the docs ask you to do...and work on your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Hi Jimmy!

Who told you this?

Very true.  The vast majority of docs take anything that even looks like heart very seriously...they don't like to miss something that could kill someone.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline jimmy7777

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
Thanks guys, I feel like all this stress is really putting me to the test, and I just don't think I'm strong enough. I have an appointment with a new Dr in the morning. I'm going to discuss everything with him and try to be ooen and honest about everything and possibly even see about getting something for my anxiety. Only problem is a lot of the times I freeze up once I'm in front of the Dr and I end up walking out wishing I would've said more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Dang Jimmy, your under a lot of stress. I'm so sorry that you're in this situation. If everything is coming back okay, maybe you need to try and embrace the fact that you're okay.
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:25:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I feel like all this stress is really putting me to the test, and I just don't think I'm strong enough. I have an appointment with a new Dr in the morning. I'm going to discuss everything with him and try to be ooen and honest about everything and possibly even see about getting something for my anxiety. Only problem is a lot of the times I freeze up once I'm in front of the Dr and I end up walking out wishing I would've said more.

When I was sick, I had so many questions... this drug, that drug, tests etc. I kept a notebook and wrote down things as they came to me so I could address them at my appointments. I still do this. Write everything down or print out a few of your posts for him to read. This way you don't have to discuss it. He'll see for himself your state of mind and perhaps have a way to offer assistance.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: