Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Baby's muscles are weak  (Read 100 times)

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Baby's muscles are weak
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »
My twins turned 2 months old on Aug. 12. My son has very strong neck muscles, pushes with his legs, tries to hold his head up, etc. My daughter is the opposite. She is almost frail compared to him. She moves her arms and legs but doesn't push like he does. She hates tummy time and just lays with her head laying down. I'm terrified she has a disorder like SMA. I have a 6 yo but don't remember what he was doing at this age. Am I being irrational?
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Baby's muscles are weak
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
Well, just about all 2 month olds are weak. My daughter is 8 months, and I have the funniest pictures of her doing tummy time. She haaaaaaated it and would just end up eating the carpet in defeat. I don't think its odd for babies to hate tummy time or to vary from sibling to sibling regarding motor skills. I think the most you can do is ask your ped if she seems to have low tone, but they really do develop at their own pace. For all of the defeatist attitude my daughter showed when she was first born, she's on fire now, developing by leaps and bounds. She still can't crawl but she slides around all over the place. I can't remember when she turned a corner with tummy time, maybe at 4 or 5 months. Just try to relax and enjoy your little girl and don't compare to her brother. I. Know that. Must be hard with twins, but they are going to develop at their own pace.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
Infants develop motor skills at different rates. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Chloe1990

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
My daughter is 7 months and has always hated tummy time. She doesn't roll over yet either. They learn at they're own pace
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bonzlee

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »
Every baby develops at a different rate. Your son actually sounds ahead of schedule in his ability to push up. I think at 2 months most babies are just trying to do that but can't always accomplish it. One of my boys was like your daughter when he was 2 months old. He absolutely hated tummy time and he was late to turn over. He is almost 12 now and quite strong.

The pediatrician should give you a survey asking about milestones each time you go in to see him/her. They would definitely tell you if your daughter is behind, but honestly she says pretty typical and your son sounds ahead of the game.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: