Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: one other frightening symptom- limbs fall asleep  (Read 197 times)

Offline MysteryCat

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
one other frightening symptom- limbs fall asleep
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
I apologize for over posting, first of all. I have a question about a symptom that's really been getting to me. My hands and feet/legs fall asleep super super easily. I wake up early in the morning with numb bits all of the time. As soon as I move around it goes away, but it's scary how much it happens all of the sudden. In conjunction with my all over random twitching,  I can't stop panicking.  Has anyone else experienced this? Please help!
Also, I am seeing a neurologist next week. It just seems so far away.

Bookmark and Share
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Offline Chloe1990

• Rec's: 1
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: one other frightening symptom- limbs fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
Yep I get this all the time.
Mainly when I'm sitting on the toilet (sorry)
I've noticed it more recently, told my doctor today and she just shrugged it off.
It's probably due to circulation. Plus I have had a lot of people tell me when their anxiety is high their limbs do fall asleep easier
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
Why does limbs falling asleep easily make you panic?  what disease causes that to happen?  MS certainly doesn't.  ALS doesn't.  Brain tumors don't.  Parkinson's doesn't.

limbs  often do that.  it is from the way a limb is positioned.  it DOES happen more in the anxious and in me when I was super freaky  BECAUSE of two possible reasons  1. our nervous system is hyper excitable  2.  anxious people typically have very tense muscles.  tense muscles squeeze up nerves more.  squished up nerves don't conduct signals very well.

I've awakened at night with a leg  or arm completely dead.  To the point that I can't stand on the leg.  when the sensation comes back, it hurts.  After full sensation is back, the leg and/or arm  is pretty weak.  and why not, the blood supply/nerve conduction has been squished.   

Just before my son went back to college he was talking about how one of his arms was falling asleep on him at night.

what is so scary about twitching?  everybody twitches.  twitching comes from anxiety/stress, muscle over use and nerves getting nervy.  Honestly, twitching is a giant YAWN as far as I am concerned..  Have a look around this forum to see how many twitch.

You do need to stop panicking.  for 1.  there is really no need to panic.   2..  it isn't helping your state of mind.  it is actually hurting it  AND it only makes the sensations you are feeling worse.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline MysteryCat

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »
I think it scares me so much because I have never experienced it before. Not like this. It came on so suddenly and my anxiety and other weird symptoms have taken off with whatever neuro disease this could be related to. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
I think it scares me so much because I have never experienced it before. Not like this. It came on so suddenly and my anxiety and other weird symptoms have taken off with whatever neuro disease this could be related to. :(

well now you don't have to be scared because I have told you what causes this. 

NO neuro disease causes limbs to fall asleep and then wake up with movement.  nope this is not from a neuro disease.

twitching means what I told you before.

your eye jumpy thing well eyes are controlled by muscles.  tense muscles, no matter where they are,  can get twitchy.  and yeah that has happened to me and dozens of other members here.

anxiety mucks with you

even after you go to the neuro--whether he/she gives you a clean bill based off the neuro exam OR orders tests  to cover all of his/her bases, this will not fix what really ails you.  Anxiety doesn't get fixed by reassurance.  sure would be cool if it did.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline MysteryCat

Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
Than you sixpack. Your reassurance is really really helpful. I hope that, if nothing else, she will be able to recognize it as anxiety and point me in the right direction as far as medication.  My therapist's psychiatrist who she refers people to is booked out 3 months, and we just moved so I don't have a primary care doctor yet. I just need some relief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
Yes I get this too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bonzlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 02:25:23 AM »
I have the limbs falling asleep all the time too. I get the twitchy eye thing too. They have happened so much for so many years I don't even pay attention anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: